My first attempt at videoing a ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
I prob should have cut the first min. of the vid. it gets fun at a min 15 secs with the first left corner.

Its not the best in quality but the whole rig was $90. The camera is mounted just under the headlights. It would appear I need to re-aim more to center as i am shooting to the left.

I don't know if it is the quality of the recording but to me I seem to be moving slow. most corners (except the really tight ones or the "U" hairpin) are in the 45-60 mph range and quicker in the straights. Video folks?

Its been a few weeks since I've been on this road and I got a few surprises.

1 two water lines dug across the road filled in with gravel. ( you may not see them but you can prob tell from the slow down and the BUMP in the vid.

2. the new road at the end of the vid. the old road was torn away completly. cut out a few corners and a one lane bridge

wa-da-ya-tink?

link

and i just noticed I misspelled road in the title

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why video looked like it was going up and down...Fix that bug and youll have a winner.. Also advice about post videos... dont use photo bucket it takes alot away from quality of video.. I have found youtube.com to be the best at hosting video. Just for your Info...

Good job for first time :clapping:

Jdog

New kind of farkle?

Pic0004-2.jpg

I see you went all-out and opted for the much desired "liquid lense". Or did I just drop acid? :D

Really, cool dude. We are gonna have to ride again pretty soon. You've got a bunch of new toys that I haven't seen. I'm starting to have bike envy.

I prob should have cut the first min. of the vid. it gets fun at a min 15 secs with the first left corner.
Its not the best in quality but the whole rig was $90. The camera is mounted just under the headlights. It would appear I need to re-aim more to center as i am shooting to the left.

I don't know if it is the quality of the recording but to me I seem to be moving slow. most corners (except the really tight ones or the "U" hairpin) are in the 45-60 mph range and quicker in the straights. Video folks?

Its been a few weeks since I've been on this road and I got a few surprises.

1 two water lines dug across the road filled in with gravel. ( you may not see them but you can prob tell from the slow down and the BUMP in the vid.

2. the new road at the end of the vid. the old road was torn away completly. cut out a few corners and a one lane bridge

wa-da-ya-tink?

link

and i just noticed I misspelled road in the title
Nice road Fencer... where is it?

That has more to do with the position of the camera on the bike than anything. The higher it is on the bike the slower it will appear. If you can find a lower point to mount it it will give a better indication of your speed. Don't be too concerned with having the camera mounted on the centerline of the bike. Your results will be fine if you mount it on the sides.

Also, does you camera have changeable lenses? If so, you can get lenses of different angles. Depending on how wide or narrow it is will change the perception of speed.

where is the camera mounted? to the plastics or the frame? I have a mini DV cam mounted to the frame it required a heavy mt to prevent viberation over 8000 rpm.

Hey Fencer

I thought at first you were riding out the Big One .... :p :p :p with the road twisting and bucking under your wheels...

I use a bullet camera velcroed to the brake fluid reservoir and vibrations are zip. The wide-angle on it (it's a Sony 480) actually makes the ride appear somewhat faster than it really is.

Well, I guess you're now hooked on filming. Keep 'em coming.... B)

Stef

I bet that would be a scary night ride during deer season with the tree-line right at the edge of the road! :eek: