My new PDA phone mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrunDog

Reaction score
A while back I posted a thread about connecting my PocketPC phone to my Active-7 Smart. Well, I updated some things and I thought I'd share.

Personally, I like using my Sprint PocketPC phone as the center of my entertainment and communications hub. First off, it is my phone, so I am never out of contact (keeps the home nagger happy). Second, with a 2 GB card onboard, it has a couple hundred MP3 songs for my listening pleasure. Third, running iGuidance, it is my navigation system, with full maps of FL and GA also on that card. Fourth, running Microsoft VoiceCommand, it is idiot easy to dial a phone contact, or play music - just speak what you want to do and VC does it for you.

Connecting the PPC to the Active-7 was a tad tricky. Since I wanted stereo music, but also wanted the phone connection, I needed to split the audio signals: Stereo out into the Active-7 music port, and mono in into the phone port. Using one of these 4-conductor, 2.5mm plugs and building a custom cable did the trick:

PB192113m.jpg

Previously, I had just stuffed the PPC in my tankbag's map pocket, but the damn thing floated around like crazy, the map pocket plastic made it near impossible to touch the screen, it wasn't a very waterproof design, it had no security if I wanted to leave it, and it was hard to see because I needed to look way down and away from the road.

So, a little update was in order. I ordered and installed the Aquabox from Ram Mounts. The Aquabox 2 is just big enough to accommodate the phone and the cables. The box is injection molded nylon and has a unique single piece replaceable ens and seal. The box is therefore waterproof, and the lens allows for button or touchscreen activation of the PPC. While I am starting with a suction-cup mount, if this works well I will upgrade to a locking mount. The Aquabox already has holes for a small padlock or cable lock.

I had to order right angle cables in order to fit. While I was remaking the cable, I installed a ground loop isolator inline to eliminate noise when the PPC is powered. This worked perfectly. Note: the phone plug ground needs to be disconnected entirely in order to route the GND signal through the GLI only.

Here is the fairly completed setup:

IMG_1106.jpg

Here is the side view:

IMG_1107.jpg

Here it is with the cover open:

IMG_1108.jpg

And here is the close up of the right-angle connectors. These were a little tricky to source, but fit perfectly:

IMG_1110.jpg

If anyone is interested in doing something like this, let me know how I can help.

-BD

Hey BD, that is very cool! Got to look into doing something like that one day.

Bill

Very nice. I feed my Nokia 6882 smartphone into my J & M system but so far haven't been able to get the MP3 stero output. Can make calls (but don't-safety while underway) but will take a call if not in traffic or in the twisties. Again very nice BD. I like the holder & mount on yours. Ron :clapping:

Thanks, fellas. Went for a little test ride today - worked well and allowed me to see the screen without any problems.

My only concern is heat buildup. There isn't really any way for air to circulate in this thing, plus the sun beats straight down on it, in a black case no less! When the PPC is on, this isn't an issue, but when it is powered on, which it pretty much always will be, the battery is being charged, and that generates heat.

Oh, one other thing. Since this thing has a fast unlimited internet connection (EVDO), I can play internet radio stations live, even listen to live TV (and watch it too, if I was nuts). Check out Resco Pocket Radio. Crap, I could even post on the forum while riding. I bet TWN would like something like that - probably DOUBLE his post count rate!!

-BD

Hey, BD, would this thing here help with some cooling air? coolio
I don't care how hot the thing gets. I'm not mounting these hoopties.

BD where did you find that connector? Thanks Ron
Ahh, the one in the picture above was from DigiKey. The one I just bought was from Mouser Electronics, which is right angle, is model 172-7426 from Kobiconn.

-BD

Last edited by a moderator: