My new Russell Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroostook

Reaction score
Got my new Russell today through the forum's group buy. I have to say that the quality of the seat is amazing and sitting on it while on the center stand, it seems quite comfy.......but......damn near dropped the bike when I took it off the center stand. Me thinks my legs shrunk over the past couple months or so. Have others noticed that the seat height increases considerably with this setup? The other question I have for folks is, have you found that you had to put risers on? It seems that I'm bent over more but hard to say???? Obviously I'll do nothing till spring but I'm just curious....

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the Russel raised your effective seat height by something like 1-1.5" so no surprise there if you were already marginal on the flatfooting aspect...one of the reasons I've not gotten one, the $$$ is the other :unsure: Going with an after market rear shock like a Penske will add another 1+" so be careful.

After trying one out that a buddy has, I found the same thing. Seat height was raised just enough to upset the bars / seat relationship (for me) and lost some stoppage stability...Perhaps a few miles to get acquainted would've helped, but since I'm perfectly happy with the stock seat, I can spend the $$$ elsewhere.

--G

Thank you for the replies and I apologize for not seeing an August thread that addressed the seat height issue. It's an issue that I will deal with because I think that in the long run the comfort will win out. Ive seen that midget bastawd De Oppresso Liber on tip-toes with his bike so I know it can be done! :p

I am curious though about what folks have done, if anything about the seat/handle bar issue? Thanks in advance.

Chris

The increase in height was one of the main reasons why I bought it. Together with the peg lower kit I can now fit this 6'5" body comfortably on my bike. Yes it raise you up higher but it is sounding like that might not be a good ting for you.

The increase in height was one of the main reasons why I bought it. Together with the peg lower kit I can now fit this 6'5" body comfortably on my bike. Yes it raise you up higher but it is sounding like that might not be a good ting for you.
Uh what many of us would give for a few extra inches (in height, no issues elsewhere) :rolleyes:

All you have to do is slide a little forward when you need to put your feet down. Your assless chaps won't hinder your movement to much either. lmao :yahoo:

But it will break in and you will be a happy camper especially heading down to Maryland for a visit. :rolleyes:

Having gone from a Corbin, which lowers you about an inch to a Russell, I noticed an even bigger change, and I too almost dropped the bike the first time I put my feet down to balance it. However, once you get use to having to mover forward on the seat a little, it is not big deal, and the seat is so much more comfortable it is amazing.

All you have to do is slide a little forward when you need to put your feet down. Your assless chaps won't hinder your movement to much either. lmao :yahoo:

But it will break in and you will be a happy camper especially heading down to Maryland for a visit. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the comments about the seat and right-on about the Maryland trip! Sounds like a plan and I'm trying to get the vision of your ass-chaps out of my mind. 2 days of it was bad enough! :lol:

Thank you for the replies and I apologize for not seeing an August thread that addressed the seat height issue. It's an issue that I will deal with because I think that in the long run the comfort will win out. Ive seen that midget bastawd De Oppresso Liber on tip-toes with his bike so I know it can be done! :p

I am curious though about what folks have done, if anything about the seat/handle bar issue? Thanks in advance.

Chris
+1 on getting used to it. there's little reason to flat foot a 600+ lbs bike. finesse it on your toes and you'll be fine. scoot forward into the "nose" area of the seat if you need to. the issues of bikes should focus on when the wheels are turning and the russell makes that butt/bike interface the best! if the wheels are stopped, you're parked. get off and go do something else. :)

i already had risers on my bike pre-russell.

Thanks for the comments about the seat and right-on about the Maryland trip! Sounds like a plan and I'm trying to get the vision of your ass-chaps out of my mind. 2 days of it was bad enough! :lol:

LMAO

The increase in height was one of the main reasons why I bought it. Together with the peg lower kit I can now fit this 6'5" body comfortably on my bike. Yes it raise you up higher but it is sounding like that might not be a good thing for you.
I'm also 6'5", but I've got to ask: Peg lowering kit???? Do you limit yourself to freeways? Avoid on ramps? How do you do you make that work?

I find that the pegs grind plenty in the stock position. In order to avoid grinding them on every "recreational" curve I have to shift my weight to the side - not race-replica hanging off, but several inches of butt shift and bending my inside elbow to bring my head in line with the inside mirror. In order to avoid grinding lowered pegs, you must have to hang off much further.

The Russell seat looks like it would make that more difficlult, with the side wings and all. How does moving around like that work on the Russell?

Even if you raised the suspension to offset the lowered pegs, you'd still need to move around a bit; is the Russell comfortable for a few inches of lateral shifting?

Thanks,

The increase in height was one of the main reasons why I bought it. Together with the peg lower kit I can now fit this 6'5" body comfortably on my bike. Yes it raise you up higher but it is sounding like that might not be a good thing for you.
I'm also 6'5", but I've got to ask: Peg lowering kit???? Do you limit yourself to freeways? Avoid on ramps? How do you do you make that work?

I find that the pegs grind plenty in the stock position. In order to avoid grinding them on every "recreational" curve I have to shift my weight to the side - not race-replica hanging off, but several inches of butt shift and bending my inside elbow to bring my head in line with the inside mirror. In order to avoid grinding lowered pegs, you must have to hang off much further.

The Russell seat looks like it would make that more difficlult, with the side wings and all. How does moving around like that work on the Russell?

Even if you raised the suspension to offset the lowered pegs, you'd still need to move around a bit; is the Russell comfortable for a few inches of lateral shifting?

Thanks,
It was really bad until I purchased the Penske Suspension. Once the bike was set up properly I have no issues pushing the bike even 2-up into the turns. Do they scrap? Hell yes, but the difference is night and day. I bought them from "he who shall not be named". Prior to the upgraded suspension I felt the bike was actually getting unsafe with too many miles on the stock shocks.

In the process of trying to find the 'perfect' riding position, I got a peg lowering kit...just to try. After a couple of mishaps, I find them to be dangerous. I guess if you only do freeway driving...? However, even this being said (and as you mention), I just about tore my foot off transitioning on to the freeway on a roundabout. I also did a Kernville ride (bunch of twisties) and (again) the foot almost came off... Bruised foot and all, that night the lowering kit came off and now resides on a shelf in the garage. BTW, I'm only 5'10", and have lowering links installed - both not helping matters either.

I have gotten use to mine and it seems to have settled in a little better after a couple of hundred miles. If I want to flat foot like the old days I have slide my nuts up against the tank and have the seat wings up against my ass cheeks. sometimes I just tip toe it when coming to stops with both feet rather than slide off the seat. I haven't take the little lady for a ride yet since the weather and all has been to cold in this here parts. In my opinion the Russell took a little bit of sport out of the ride but added to the tour side of the equation. I can always throw my comfort seat back on for some fun.

Dave

I guess there is always lowering links for elevation challenged.

Seems folks have pretty well covered doing the "Russell Slide" when coming to a stop. A couple of other thoughts:

It's easier to flat foot at stops if you only put down one foot. ;) Of course that doesn't help when you need to paddle it around...

As the seat "breaks in" the wings will crush down some. Although I wear only 32" inseam pants I can flat foot mine fine (two footed) without doing "the slide".

Bars: To get back to the stock body angles you would need to raise up your bars just as much as the seat has been raised.

Whether you need to do that is a personal preference. I did.

If any of you cant make the adjustment I would take it off you hands. Just throwing it out there.

I was going to try a Sargent in a few weeks when I can ride. Also have a Corbin Set to try that is very nice. I am worried of the width of the Corbin compared to the stock or Sargent. So I will find one I like. I loved my Russel on my LT but it's style was right at home. Same issue made a tall standing bike taller.

As said above I only use one foot down at stop, way I was taught. And that is the way a Russel is going to make you ride unless you can flatfoot it easily already. It is not a hard adjustment to make and will become very natural.

Just wanted to throw it out there if someone really does not like their new Russel on a Gen II.

I've been looking for a good aftermarket seat. The Spencer Mod seat I currently have works well but not well enough for 1000 mile days I plan on doing this next year. I thought about the Russell but with me only being 5'8" tall with 30" inseam, it may not be the best choice for me. I supposed I could install lowering links as well but then I loose the Sporty side of riding.

I've been looking for a good aftermarket seat. The Spencer Mod seat I currently have works well but not well enough for 1000 mile days I plan on doing this next year. I thought about the Russell but with me only being 5'8" tall with 30" inseam, it may not be the best choice for me. I supposed I could install lowering links as well but then I loose the Sporty side of riding.
Hey Andy, I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. When Russell asked for my measurements they wanted to me to measure crotch to floor with my boots on, giving me an inseam of 31". I just want you to know that I can touch the floor but I'm using the "front ball" of my foot as opposed to nearly flat footed as I was before. I can still move the bike around but will need to be careful on slippery sufaces like my garage floor. You should be ok. I will say this.....sitting on the seat my whole ass is supported, nothing like the stock seat. I suspect that in no time at all I will get used to it. Let us know what you decide.