My new Shad SH50 Installed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerjasen

Reaction score
Finally got my Shad. I chose Shad after two not so great experiences with Givi customer service. Sadly though, my experience post sales with Shad was "Does not meet expectations." Prior to making the sale they were great of course.

That said, I love the case. Being able to put the key lock in a position where you don't need the key does rock. Just push button and pop it open. This is good for when I'm either warming up the bike or have the side case opened. I don't lock the case at home or for my rides, so it's just locked while I'm at work with my gear inside.

I've verified that it will indeed fit two Arai helmets inside with room to spare, not much but there's a little wiggle room. Compared to my previous Givi it's every bit as good. My main nitpicks would be as follows:

Key lock is kind of notchy. I presume it'll break in.

Matte black really shows fingerprints bad and they are hard to clean off due to the surface.

Other than that, I'm super happy. No more carrying my laptop backpack on my back. Airflow through my mesh suit is much better with that gone. Plus I'm more comfortable. :yahoo:

I have pictures of both the Matte black and with the silver top plate because my silver top plate didn't get shipped with my case. Shad was good and shipped it right out no questions asked though. Anyway, I tend to talk too much and delay the pictures, so here you go.

Matte Black:

2012-08-16104009.jpg

2012-08-16104014.jpg

2012-08-16104022.jpg

2012-08-16104034.jpg

Silver. Doesn't really match, but they told me it wouldn't and I don't care, it's close enough.

2012-08-23164251.jpg

2012-08-23164303.jpg

2012-08-23164311.jpg

2012-08-23164316.jpg

...Key lock is kind of notchy. I presume it'll break in.

Matte black really shows fingerprints bad and they are hard to clean off due to the surface.

Other than that, I'm super happy. ...
Nice looking setup.

On my SH48 Case, I had to put some grease in the Locking Mechanism for it to work smoothly and no problems since.

You did well Sir. very nice. What happened after the sale that was the disappointment?
Basically crappy communication. I knew in advance that they were on backorder...like I said, great communication before the sale. However, the date I was told they'd be in stock came and went and no word from them. Several days later I dropped them an email stating what date I'd been told and just wanted to check up. I was then sent a slightly rude email telling me that I was wrong, that there wasn't a date, just that they'd be in some time that week. That's not what the email stated but meh, it was almost the end of that week. Well, my case didn't ship out till the end of the following week. Then it arrived with no case and it took three days to get someone to respond on it. However, once the response came I did have the part very very quickly.

It just struck me as odd the quick snappy communication I got when asking questions before the sale and how all that cut off once I swiped my credit card.

It amazes me how simple communication can be and how much folks aren't willing to do it. I wouldn't have said anything if I'd have gotten an acknowledgement that "Hello, we told you the box would be in on xx date but there's been a delay in the shipment and we'll let you know as soon as they are in." I'd have been totally cool with that. Then taking three days to return an email in today's technology driven world is just unacceptable for about any business.

It only just barely beats calling Givi and talking to some guy who acts like you are inconveniencing him and how he goes out of his way to show his "Not give a crap attitude."

Anyway, I'm trying to move on and love the case and hope that the following is true:

1. I don't need to deal with any warranty work.

2. If I do, then it'll go as smoothly as I've seen some others have, such as at least one member on here.

... Several days later I dropped them an email stating what date I'd been told and just wanted to check up. I was then sent a slightly rude email telling me that I was wrong, that there wasn't a date, just that they'd be in some time that week. That's not what the email stated but meh, it was almost the end of that week. Well, my case didn't ship out till the end of the following week. Then it arrived with no case and it took three days to get someone to respond on it. However, once the response came I did have the part very very quickly....
I understand what you are saying for some of my order was on Backorder...

Here what I think is happening:

1- Their products come in by Ship from Spain and is held up in Customs with No Date for release in certain.

2- They are running a skeleton staff to keep their prices low.

So sometimes you do have to be more patient with some companies doing their best to stay in business.

Keep in mind, the original 39l OEM Case was $649 verses the 48L case from Shad for $350.

Here's mine the SH48:

FrontViewFromLeftBackrest.jpg

_5HelmetsInSideRearView.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies if this was discussed earlier, but why Shad vs. Givi?

The Shad appears a bit more squarish than, for example, my Givi v46. Do you find it to have more useful space inside as a result? The v46 will also hold two helmets, at least the Shoeis we use around casa jcyuhn.

BTW, your FJR is too clean! :)

Nice case! It never hurts to have a little more waterproof storage. When I travel, I normally keep my E55 empty which allows me to put my helment stuffed with gloves and jacket in there when I stop somewhere. If it looks like rain, I usually put my rain gear in the top case for easy access. Now all you need is a tank bag towering all the way up to your chin when seated on the bike. Then you'll be a real storage monger like me. :)

Part of it was price. Second was I had to contact Givi on two separate occasions. Once for a key blank and a second time for a part. Both times the person who answered (same guy I think) had an attitude like I was bothering him and was less than helpful. I'd been getting great communication from Shad and so my business whent to them.

The Shad appears a bit more squarish than, for example, my Givi v46. Do you find it to have more useful space inside as a result? The v46 will also hold two helmets, at least the Shoeis we use around casa jcyuhn.
I can only compare it to my Givi E370...so yes, LOTS more space. The rounded shape of my Givi was annoying though. I could fit my backpack with my laptop in that case, but when I tried to trim down to just a normal laptop case it wouldn't fit. The rounded corners just didn't work with the square case shape. Granted, this specific problem would have been eliminated by a larger case, but yes, I think in general the more squarish shape will be better. I mean, we all see how useful our non-square side bags are. :D

BTW, your FJR is too clean! :)
You can't be talking about me. I was looking at it as I was taking pics thinking how dirty it was and how I hadn't washed it in like two months. I guess it doesn't show on the pics but for example, I could leave tracks in the dust on the reflective stickers on the backs of the bags. Got home and the wife was headed out with my kiddo for dinner with her family. I declined the invite and stayed home and gave the bike a quick wash. That'll guarantee rain for tomorrows ride though. :D

Now all you need is a tank bag towering all the way up to your chin when seated on the bike. Then you'll be a real storage monger like me. :)
I've got a tankbag too as seen in the below picture. It is expandable to twice it's height. Not quite chin high, but it'll do. I managed a four day trip with just that tankbag and a backpack to the AMA races in Alabama one year on my TLR. That included hauling my DSLR.

IMG_7371.jpg

This has been discussed in a few threads but basically, why not Shad over Givi? Better value, ease of use, really great boxes, easy install and my overall experience with CS had been nothing but great. Nothing wrong with Givi but Shad gives nothing up to them and IMHO, having owned both, the Shad is simply an equal or better product depending on your needs. Of course, like everything, it's a heated matter of personal preference but I always feel like there's the snobbish undertone of "Ugh, why'd you buy THAT thing, GIVI rules!" simply because most folks haven't done the research or comparison to make an informed decision.

And, please let's not have that silly discussion of the steel Givi vs. the OEM rack for mounting. That's all out there too if you want to look that up and make up your own mind. No interest in going there right now.

Same as mine! Love the Case, but my cover never did arrive. :-(

Likely get the same on the rebuild.