N/Line FJR dash installed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
After some initial delays in getting a dash in to ship to me, Catfish (hope he's approved so I can mention him) came through for me. From the time he got the dash until it reached me was only a few days, so kudos on the fast shipping.

As for the product?

Top quality, though I did notice a scratch on one face of the unit that, naturally is a spot you'll be staring at while driving. The silver scratch stands out obviously against the great black of the entire dash. Thankfully, I don't really give a flying fig, so I never bothered to ping Catfish about it ... Now, where's that black Sharpie anyway?

The install is pretty straight forward, too. I'll throw in the usualy cautions around either protecting your paint or going slow. Note that different sized hex/Allen keys are used between the factory fasteners and the supplied mounting hardware, so make sure you have both sizes on hand.

Now, the gear was all plastic wrapped and the fasteners individually sealed, so upon opening the box it might seem a bit much for modest wrenchers. Fear not. Read the directions once ... Then only pay attention to the pictures and hand written notes with each picture. These notes explain pretty much all you need to know to complete the install in under 30 minutes.

Be sure to leave the uprights loose but tighten down the dash itself. You can then move the entire unit sideways a bit to center it as you like. Note to those with larger windscreens - you might want a gel pad(one per side) on you screen as there's a small chance the screen will move enough in wind to contact the top corners of the dash.

I have a Cee Baileys +4" x +3" and will install said bumpers asap, just in case.

Let's see, what else? Hmmm....

Blue loctite, as usual, but not on the nyloc nut. ;)

Oh, the nyloc nut for mounting the dash top to the upright supports is 8mm. At least that's the wrench I used and it worked fine.

I think that's it. Fine product, good distributor, easy install.

Last edited by a moderator:
None. I stopped taking pictures of things when I realized the only real images people look at online are nekked women... ;)

Seriously - just haven't taken the time to. I'll try for some either tonight or tomorrow and edit the post to include. :)

None. I stopped taking pictures of things when I realized the only real images people look at online are nekked women... ;)
Seriously - just haven't taken the time to. I'll try for some either tonight or tomorrow and edit the post to include. :)
Put a nekked woman on the bike when you do the photos to insure that we all look.

I installed my dash a month or so ago, also go it from Catfish, fast shipping etc...

I didn't install the stiffener on the underside because I haven't yet put accessories on it, For me the dash shelf is more to prevent sunglare from reflecting back into my eyes (it makes a difference)

Overall very happy with the quality, the only thing is I have a 2+2 Cee Bailieys Windshield and it contacts the edges... I am going to round the edges off to be able to fix this...

Very happy with it :)

My aftermarket shield and N/Line dash were both installed when I got the bike. It does rub the shield a little. Where did you get the pads to install or did they come with the dash and I just didn't get them from the previous owner?

My aftermarket shield and N/Line dash were both installed when I got the bike. It does rub the shield a little. Where did you get the pads to install or did they come with the dash and I just didn't get them from the previous owner?
The pads I have picked up and will install tonight came from Home Depot - generic felt and vinyl pads designed to limit scuffing of "stuff" on wood. They are simple peel-and-stick tidbits, so we'll see if they can even stay on for longer than a few minutes...

I'd like to mount the felt on the dash, but might have to mount it on the windshiled itself. Should be an issue, though, as it's in the lowest setting I'm likely to have a rubbing issue, as the screen actually moves out away from the dash as it rises up.

I detected no porblems with my windshield hitting my dash on a 60+ miler yesterday, but then again, I didn't think to look. (Iknow, dumba$$.) I'll check before I ride home from work today and see... ;)

The "spacers" mentioned a couple posts up, if this is what you were referencing, come with the kit - a couple of small tubes used on the underside of the dash support legs to keep the legs raised off the factory plastic/paint.

Yes I used the spacers, I installed it exactly as the instructions tell you to :)

The windshield doesn't rub when the bike is sitting, there is plenty of clearance, and the stock sheild doesn't rub either, but the Cee Bailyes pushes back enoguh in the wind that when it's fully retracted it rubs...(doesnt rub when extended)