Nady intercom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a while ago, but I had a PRC-7 and a PRC-9 (both were eventually thrown away).

The basic problem was that the VOX adjustment didn't work too well. Either the cycle/wind noise tripped it on, or if you set it high enough that the wind wouldn't trip it -- you had to yell into it to get it to work.

The range wasn't too good either

They might be much better now, after 2 or 3 Nady units that didn't work -- I kinda gave up on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been a while ago, but I had a PRC-7 and a PRC-9 (both were eventually thrown away).
The basic problem was that the VOX adjustment didn't work too well. Either the cycle/wind noise tripped it on, or if you set it high enough that the wind wouldn't trip it -- you had to yell into it to get it to work.

The range wasn't too good either

They might be much better now, after 2 or 3 Nady units that didn't work -- I kinda gave up on them.

I think I had the PRC-9 a while back. Tossed it as well. Junk. Cheap quality, poor sound, etc.

From there, I went to the Chatterbox for rider -> passenger. Loved it, except for a little turbulence at high speed from the unit attached to my helmet.

Have an Autocomm at the moment awaiting installation....

I'm using the current version of the Nady MDX-11 for bike to bike communications and like it. FRS and GMRS channels to cover all your needs. What I have run into is that the connections to the helmet speakers goes out intermittantly, so now I just use a deicated helmet for the communications and no problems. I like the fact that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg for decent communication.

John

Some of my friends have the Nady MRC-11 which is a FRS band product. I bought one of the Motorola Talkabout radios (2-paks for about $35) and Motocomm headset.mic ($65). I highly recommend the Motocomm headset.mic as a good quality, very thin earpiece, great cabling and disconnects. This setup is superior to the Nady kit for about the same price because you get 2 radios and a much better headset.mic with L and R speakers. The Nady is a one-ear headset.

Steve

Some of my friends have the Nady MRC-11 which is a FRS band product. I bought one of the Motorola Talkabout radios (2-paks for about $35) and Motocomm headset.mic ($65). I highly recommend the Motocomm headset.mic as a good quality, very thin earpiece, great cabling and disconnects. This setup is superior to the Nady kit for about the same price because you get 2 radios and a much better headset.mic with L and R speakers. The Nady is a one-ear headset.

I don't know if you have an older Nady or not, but I have left/right speakers and mike with mine. I gave the wrong model in my earlier post. It is a MRC-11X, a newer version. That may explain why you have only one speaker.