Nautilus Horn Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piwowar

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the forum but I haven't heard of any posts addressing this problem. I just finished installing the Stebel Compact Nautilus Horn with the manufacturer's plug & play wiring harness. The horn really blares but it energizes when the ignition is turned on. Any suggestions or is the relay pack bad?

Also, has anyone encountered higher radiator temps due to the obstruction of air flow (the horn is as big as a softball).

Ed

From what you described you made an error in your wiring hook ups. You wired directly to the wie leading to you ign. switch. Go back and retrace your wires and look at a wiring diagram to find the correct wire that leads to the horn.

good luck weekend rider :) :D

I'm relatively new to the forum but I haven't heard of any posts addressing this problem. I just finished installing the Stebel Compact Nautilus Horn with the manufacturer's plug & play wiring harness. The horn really blares but it energizes when the ignition is turned on. Any suggestions or is the relay pack bad?
Also, has anyone encountered higher radiator temps due to the obstruction of air flow (the horn is as big as a softball).

Ed
According to the wiring diagram, it's wired correctly. It's straight off the battery to the relay pack. I'm guessing the NO relay isn't open.

If the relay is the wrong type, the horn should go off when you press the horn button. Otherwise, you have the horn wired wrong.

-BD

When I first hooked up my Blasters I had this problem. If you used your original horn wires to energize he relay, then try reversing them.

When I first hooked up my Blasters I had this problem. If you used your original horn wires to energize he relay, then try reversing them.
IIRC, that's the problem, as I did the same thing. Its been 3 years (and my memory isn't what it used to be), but I think the horn switch on the FJR is a "grounding" switch so the wire going TO the switch is hot when the ignition is turned ON.

IIRC, that's the problem, as I did the same thing. Its been 3 years (and my memory isn't what it used to be), but I think the horn switch on the FJR is a "grounding" switch so the wire going TO the switch is hot when the ignition is turned ON.
Mike has it! Many (as in me :) ) use the hot wire to the horn to power the relay for a PDB.

Junk that P.O.S. harness that came with the horn and buy mine. Jeez....northern NJ?? I'm prolly minutes from you! We could install it right here. I'm 5 mins from Giants Stadium.

And anyway.......WHO is selling a "plug 'n' play" harness for the FJR, other than me? This sounds more interesting than the horn problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly - I wired a compact nautilus into my last bike - and the horn was only interested in kicking out the decibels if the polarity was the right way round.

Junk that P.O.S. harness that came with the horn and buy mine. Jeez....northern NJ?? I'm prolly minutes from you! We could install it right here. I'm 5 mins from Giants Stadium.
And anyway.......WHO is selling a "plug 'n' play" harness for the FJR, other than me? This sounds more interesting than the horn problem.
I ordered the Stebel Compact Nautilus Horn and (what they call) a plug & play harness from TwistedThrottle.com. It plugs & plays but I only want it to play when I press the horn button not when I turn the ignition key on. I was going to order your wiring kit but I thought I saw a post that said you weren't making it anymore. Just let me know where you're at and when I can pick one up ([email protected]).

Mike & V65 were right. When I connected the Nautilus horn ground to the old horn terminals the horn works. Thanks guys

If I remember correctly - I wired a compact nautilus into my last bike - and the horn was only interested in kicking out the decibels if the polarity was the right way round.
If you're connecting relay pins 85 and 86 directly to BOTH factory horn wires, (on one side only of course. tape up the other side) polarity is unimportant. You only have to make sure pin 30 goes to Batt pos., and pin 87 goes to + terminal of compressor. Neg compressor terminal goes directly to batt neg. DO NOT run the compressor neg directly to the horn switch! And DO NOT run it to the frame!!

I also just looked at their so called "plug 'n' play" harness. No wonder why it's only $29.99. You have to first assemble it, fuse holder is junk and not waterproof, and the rest looks like no larger than 14 gauge wire.

My harness uses 10 gauge wire in all high current places. 18 gauge is used for the relay trigger wires, and the whole thing comes COMPLETELY assembled and ready to literally "plug 'n' play.

They also don't mention the brand/quality of the relay they supply....or do they even supply it? Shown nowhere in the pic. I use quality (read expensive) Bosch relays. You get what you pay for. ;)

My Nautilus harnesses are $48-$52 including priority mail shipping. Length determines price difference.

They are a completely different setup and wire size than the Blaster harnesses I also sell.

PS.....if anyone wishes to purchase a harness exactly like the one pictured on that website, I'd be delighted to make it for them for only $25 shipped! By the looks of it, it's about $4 in parts. I can make a bundle off this!! :lol:

I got Randy's harness for the Nautilus Compact Air honker and it really is a very well done and stout piece of gear. In my humble opinion it's definitely money well spent. And no, I don't get a kick-back from Randy and we're not related!

Ed
Sounds like (no pun intended) you have the electrical part figured out by now....

Make sure, though, that you have sufficient clearance for full front wheel travel with the new horns in place. From your description I am willing to bet that the fender is going to impact the horn if it is hanging out in front of the radiator. Try really depressing the front forks and check...and check with the wheel turned slightly and the forks depressed.

I took the fork springs out and fully compressed the fork when installing the Stebel horns and found that it is pretty difficult to eliminate contact between the fender/front wheel and the horns. You may never hit a bump that big to bottom the forks but it is better to discover the interference in the garage now then on the road later....

I ended up recessing the horns significantly more than illustrated in some of the pictures on the forum and had to also trim the horn on the right side since the battery/electricals prevent recessing it enough to clear the front wheel at full jounce.

I got Randy's harness for the Nautilus Compact Air honker and it really is a very well done and stout piece of gear. In my humble opinion it's definitely money well spent. And no, I don't get a kick-back from Randy and we're not related!

I love it! :yahoo: B)