Need advice on aux lights for my Feejer.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taff

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

Could any of the forum gurus give me some help on the following please:

1) I used to have PIAA 1100x on my other bike, but after 6 months or so the filaments broke. So would you use these on the Feejer?

2) The Moto lights look good, what do you all think of them?

3) Fork or mirror mount, which is best?

I did have a look at the thread with regard to the aux lights.

Thanks for any input, much appreciated.

Ride safe.

I ran the PIAA 1100s on my '04 for a year, no problem. I bought the "kit" with lights and brackets from This Place.

I've also run Hella 550s on my '05 using Garauld's brackets.Lookie here, though I don't think he sells that package any longer, the brackets should still be available.

I have the Motolights and really like them, but I think lights mounted low like are more for conspicuity. I mean, people can see you from miles away with those things, but they only add marginal improvement to you own eyesight.

I'm installing Hella FF50's, with an HID conversion kit, onto Garauld's light brackets over the winter for better vision on backroads at night. I'll keep the Motolights for all other riding.

There are a zillion aux light threads on this forum. Do a search to get details. A summary of some of the info:

The Phillips HID lights seem to be gold standard for tossing light down the road. A lot of folks have bought the Solteks for HIDs recently because the ballast is in the light so you don't have to figure out where to stash it. Several folks have had leaking problems with the Solteks, though (several reports on that from the IBR, too, I believe). Gary says his light brackets are strong enough for the Solteks so go to Skyway for brackets if you're headed that way.

For conventional driving lights, the long distance community favors Hella over PIAA based on the claim that Hella puts more engineering into their reflectors. Can't confirm that myself, but the accumulated wisdom of that group is usually on the money.

I have gerauld's brackets (solid product) and I bought the Hella FF50s elsewhere 'cause he didn't have any at the time. The Hellas are good at providing extra light to the sides. I have found that they provide virtually zero light at distance - which is what I thought "driving lights" were supposed to do. That said, I'm very happy with the closer in "side" light as opposed to more distance oriented "pencil" beams. I don't ride fast at night and these are perfect for me. If you're looking to light up the world, I recommend you look elsewhere.

+1, Gunny, Fuzzy balls, woof, Whatever!

I'm running garaulds custom brackets and FF50's. Running thru British Columbia (Canada) at night with those blaring, I could see everything. The feedback from the reflectors was almost enough to hurt my eyes :p

I ran the PIAA 1100s on my '04 for a year, no problem. I bought the "kit" with lights and brackets from This Place.I've also run Hella 550s on my '05 using Garauld's brackets.Lookie here, though I don't think he sells that package any longer, the brackets should still be available.
madmike2,Thanks for your input.I have searched the forum etc but wanted some newer input.Thanks once again.
I have the Motolights and really like them, but I think lights mounted low like are more for conspicuity. I mean, people can see you from miles away with those things, but they only add marginal improvement to you own eyesight.I'm installing Hella FF50's, with an HID conversion kit, onto Garauld's light brackets over the winter for better vision on backroads at night. I'll keep the Motolights for all other riding.There are a zillion aux light threads on this forum. Do a search to get details. A summary of some of the info:The Phillips HID lights seem to be gold standard for tossing light down the road. A lot of folks have bought the Solteks for HIDs recently because the ballast is in the light so you don't have to figure out where to stash it. Several folks have had leaking problems with the Solteks, though (several reports on that from the IBR, too, I believe). Gary says his light brackets are strong enough for the Solteks so go to Skyway for brackets if you're headed that way.For conventional driving lights, the long distance community favors Hella over PIAA based on the claim that Hella puts more engineering into their reflectors. Can't confirm that myself, but the accumulated wisdom of that group is usually on the money.
Thanks squeezer - :) )
I have gerauld's brackets (solid product) and I bought the Hella FF50s elsewhere 'cause he didn't have any at the time. The Hellas are good at providing extra light to the sides. I have found that they provide virtually zero light at distance - which is what I thought "driving lights" were supposed to do. That said, I'm very happy with the closer in "side" light as opposed to more distance oriented "pencil" beams. I don't ride fast at night and these are perfect for me. If you're looking to light up the world, I recommend you look elsewhere.
Thanks for the advice JimLor.
+1, Gunny, Fuzzy balls, woof, Whatever!I'm running garaulds custom brackets and FF50's. Running thru British Columbia (Canada) at night with those blaring, I could see everything. The feedback from the reflectors was almost enough to hurt my eyes :p
woof to you - :) ) great information, thanks - :) )

I've been running the PIAA 1100s on the FJR Goodies PIAA bracket. Great light for LD rallies and I can be seen much better at day. The only down side is with the PIAAs on and my electric vest, the charging system is pretty much maxed. Not a problem for me but worth noting.

Canadian FJR

I've been running the PIAA 1100s on the FJR Goodies PIAA bracket. Great light for LD rallies and I can be seen much better at day. The only down side is with the PIAAs on and my electric vest, the charging system is pretty much maxed. Not a problem for me but worth noting.

Canadian FJR
Thanks for the advice.

Ride safe - :) )

I have fork mounted PIAA 1100s and like them a lot. However, I agree with sqeezer, they're more for conspicuity than for night riding. Don't get me wrong. They help me at night a LOT, but I know there are better setups out there for that purpose.