Need advice on sticker removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murph

Reaction score
I recently purchased an '05 and the bike is like new. So much like new that the original owner never removed the manufacturer warning sticker centered on top of the fuel tank in front of the cap. I am hesitant to remove because I am afraid that, either, the sticker will not come off clean or that it will leave a permanent mark on the paint. Note that the bike was originally purchased in May of 2005 .... so you can imagine how long that sticker has been on.

My question is whether anyone has had any experience removing older stickers and whether the paint was damaged? I have read threads that discuss tankbags and the fragility of Yamaha paint. Suggestions?

Use a hair dryer to heat the sticker up around the edge and lift it off slowly. The only problem you may have would be if the paint on the rest of the tank has faded.

It can be removed without damage to the paint but there may be a noticeable difference in gloss and depth of color. (it will look better under the sticker) Any idea on the life of the bike before you? (kept in garage, etc?)

Heat from a hair dryer may work to soften the adhesive under the sticker.

I've had good luck with using wd40. Starting on edge, spray some and gently rub. Allow some time for the wd40 to get along the edge and start working.

You may want to use something real soft like a rubber spatula to gently scrape and help it along.

Don't do like my father in law. He attempted to remove the energy sticker from his wife's brand new dryer after a couple of beers.

Things he tried--fingernail, pocket knife, wood chisel. What a freakin mess.

Thanks for the input. Normally I would have just attempted it on my own, however I would have proceeded in ways not unlike Oneday's father-in-law! :assassin:

The bike is in great shape and without a scratch. The previous owner definitely took care of it and, no doubt, kept it in a garage. I don't think there has been much fading.

I like the hair dryer and rubber spatula idea.

Thanks for the input. Normally I would have just attempted it on my own, however I would have proceeded in ways not unlike Oneday's father-in-law! :assassin:
The bike is in great shape and without a scratch. The previous owner definitely took care of it and, no doubt, kept it in a garage. I don't think there has been much fading.

you may want to try goo-gone. I had (have) a bike that was covered in 3m "flames" for 3 seasons. I pealed them off, and used goo-gone to soak up the adhesive. I couldnt be happier with the results. There was no differential in color underneath, nor was there any differential in gloss-- it is like there were never any flames at all.

1) heat with a hairdryer while you peel it off

2) with a clean rag, liberally dab-on goo-gone

3) let sit for 90 seconds or so

4) rub off the adhesive like a fresh booger

thats it!

I just left my 05 and 03 out in the sun for a little while. The stickers just peel off. Then I just wax the area left over. That method also works good with those goofy looking bag reflectors. They too are just stick on.

you may want to try goo-gone. I had (have) a bike that was covered in 3m "flames" for 3 seasons. I pealed them off, and used goo-gone to soak up the adhesive. I couldnt be happier with the results. There was no differential in color underneath, nor was there any differential in gloss-- it is like there were never any flames at all.

1) heat with a hairdryer while you peel it off

2) with a clean rag, liberally dab-on goo-gone

3) let sit for 90 seconds or so

4) rub off the adhesive like a fresh booger

thats it!

[SIZE=18pt]Don't eat the booger![/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
No! Wait! Don't!!!!

Damn to late...

J/k :p Hope it came off as clean as we expect it to

Last edited by a moderator:
...the bike was originally purchased in May of 2005 .... so you can imagine how long that sticker has been on.
Hell, I don't have to imagine. I can figure it right out. It's been 2 years. About as long since Brundog fired HIS Feej up and drove it.

Got my sticker off today. Good 'ol sun and some goo be gone after I peeled it off. Washed it and put some wax on. MUCH better than looking at that stupid sticker. Thx for the good tips...