Need Bad-Ass Radiator Guard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotboot

Reaction score
I have the dis-pleasure of replacing my '05 radiator due to 3 rock punctures. I had the Cox mesh thing but obviously need something in stamped stainless steel for these Texas chip-seal roads. Meissner has one, $150.00 in black.

Any other suggestions ?

I was lucky enough to be able to have my radiator repaired at Mylers in Utah.

LINK

I'm thinking of making one with mesh aluminium to cover the stock one on the '06.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any other suggestions ?
No suggestions on a bad-ass radiator guard (at least not for an '05), but wouldn't a Fend Extenda help? Granted, it doesn't eliminate ALL the crap that can get thrown up against the radiator, but it does reduce quite a bit of it.

Actually, these injuries came from the FZ-1 I was following in a spirited pass, he kicked up some large ones. Thanks for the repair link but this thing is trashed, 000 buck-shot style trashed.

Bike Johnny. 75k and going strong with no issues. Just the occasional cleaning under the guard. You won't be putting holes in that stainless steel unit.

I've got a Meissner on my 06. Though a little pricy, same as you quoted, it is heavy duty and wouldn't allow the stones you speak of to foul things up IMO. Double 00 buck shot is another story. PM. <>< :unsure:

I've got a Meissner on my 06. Though a little pricy, same as you quoted, it is heavy duty and wouldn't allow the stones you speak of to foul things up IMO. Double 00 buck shot is another story. PM. <>< :unsure:
Two questions on the BikeJohnny radiator guard:

1. does it affect the cooling in any significany way, say in a really hot climate, i ask since from the pic it looks like the holes/slits are considerably smaller.

2. does this guard go over or in place of the the OEM plastic guard?

Two questions on the BikeJohnny radiator guard:1. does it affect the cooling in any significany way, say in a really hot climate, i ask since from the pic it looks like the holes/slits are considerably smaller.

1. Not in any significant way. I've never had overheating in any conditions, including Death Valley in the summer. Stuck in traffic at a stand still, your bike will still warm up to the fan coming on, then cool down to the fan going off, and repeat if you're not getting any air flow through the radiator.

2. I have an '04, so never had a plastic guard. I can't answer that one.

Have been considering one myself, ...w/ the Cox unit I can see why you might want to consider stacking it with the stock plastic one, but w/ the stainless one [which does look a touch more restrictive] why would you even want/need to double it up? I'm kinda leaning toward the polished stainless on a black bike...

If you already have a radiator guard, then it would be easy to attach a better mesh or expanded steel to the frame of the one you have. Maybe shim it out a little so that if a stone hits it hard enough to dent it it may still protect the radiator.

Thanks for the comments and links gents, new radiators are $223.00 plus the time it takes me to R & R.....I hate messing with tupperware. I have some broken plastic too, big rocks, pricey day.

Did I mention the speeding ticket on the way home ???? F*** me runnin'

Two questions on the BikeJohnny radiator guard:

1. does it affect the cooling in any significany way, say in a really hot climate, i ask since from the pic it looks like the holes/slits are considerably smaller.

1. No effect of cooling, no difference on heat bars. Even in 100+ degrees.

2. You have to remove the OEM guard and install the Meissner. Very easy install and I have the black one.

PM. <>< ;)

Have not even had time to dig in there yet, did the 1st gen even have a guard ?

Waiting on parts suks.