Need Exhaust heat shield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopB8

Reaction score
Is there a heat shield, or other type of covering, for the short run of exhaust just prior to the exhaust cans? My boot heel keeps hitting that section and leaving melted rubber marks on it. It would be nice to have a shield that didn't get so hot that would protect my boot and keep the bike looking decent.

Thanks.

Do a search for "exhaust protection", I came up with several options.

mac

A quick search of the Forum would show that a lot of people are using this type shield

G_16317G_SW_1.gif

that is available from many sources. JC Whitney has this one that is 7" long for $17.99.

There's the long-known Dean Tanji solution as documented here (and shown above):

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=44

Then there is the new, ss solution mentioned by CaryT (several times in several threads). They are big and relatively untested (no reports until now). Their web site lists them for $60. With the Tanji solution being about 2/3rd the cost, they face an uphill struggle. They have 2 major differences. They are big (a plus or a minus depending on the buyer). They are brushed stainless (which may also be a plus or minus if you're running OEM pipes or aftermarket ones that are chromed).

Knowing that the Tanji solution was out there, I didn't want to overspend for something just because it was bigger. So, I took a chance and bid $38.07 on eBay for them. No one else bid, so I soon had them. The first thing you notice when unpacking them is that they are big. Then you notice they are brushed stainless steel. I installed them this past Saturday. The cover the entire mid-pipes between the 2 major bends. B I G ! As with the Tanji solution, they install with a pair of hose clamps (per side). I've only put about 150 miles on them so far, so it's hardly a long-term test. They don't intrude on my feet and don't affect the operation of the center or side stand. There's not much more to ask for from such things, so that's all good. As long as they keep my boots off the mid pipes and stay where mounted (no rotating or falling off), then all's good.

They'll be easy to find if they fall off.

Did I mention that they're big?

Report with photos

--anyone else notice how no one asked about heat shields very often for the past 4 years and now, within days of a new product being put on eBay, relatively new members have been asking in both of FJR Forum and FJR Owners forums? Strange little coincidence?

Last edited by a moderator:
the long-known Dean Tanji solution
The Tanji solution is a Cobra Shield which is an exact look-alike for the JCW part. Price is the same too. They don't look so large once installed. Get used to the idea of two hose clamps to attach any of the JC/Cobra shields.

Last edited by a moderator: