Need music!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1183

Reaction score
Here's another questions...I need to find a way to get tunes will riding long distance.

Are there any other options for our beloved FJR than a CD/MP3 and headphones?

Thanks,

Josh in MN

I have a J&M CB/Intercom with XM (+cell phone/GPS/Radar detector) piped in that I am very happy with.

Starcom is popular.

Check through Parts & Acc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a Delphi roady xt satelite radio. I didn't want to be hard wired to the bike. I will hard wire the xm head unit to the bike. Then I will set my mp3 player fm radio to the roadys settings. Turn them both on...I got tunes... The mp3/fm players battery last 10 hours or so. And I can get on/off the bike without the wiring... Plus your bike doesn't have all the stuff wired all over it. My old buddy FJRocket help me with this setup. I bought the roady on ebay (new) for $39. shipped. But it will cost a monthly xm fee....I will get it hooked up this weekend. Just one idea.. Smittty

I run a Sirius X-act through a Starcom mounted under the seat which then feed a set of modified helmet speakers. The nice thing about using a Starcom or Autocom is that you can also feed a radar detector or phone through it. The music drops out when the radar detector sounds or when a call is picked up on the phone.

I run a Sirius receiver through an Autocom Pro M1. I have MP3, Radar Detector, Satellite, GPS, and Two-Way or CB radio ran through this unit. It all works great.

IF all you want is music, obtain a respectable MP3/Satellite radio player (check out XM and Sirius products). Then purchase a respectable pair of in ear speakers (Etymotic or Shure) or have a custom set made for you. Use the search function on this site to find more about helmet speakers if you want to go that route. I prefer the in-ear speakers because they isolate out enough noise to allow for music listening at a safe volume. Personally I use the Etymotic ER6i in ear speakers with great results.

I second the ER6i. Great sound + wind noise reduction. They're great.

Don

Garmin 2730, GPS with xm radio, mp3 download capabilities with audiobooks. I use an Ipod 30gig but I am probalbly just as happy with the xm. But I carry the Ipod just the same.

don't have it yet -- but just ordered the Garmin 2730.

why? you get XM, some MP3 (no SD card for expansion though), and the audio output will give you XM or you MP3, and if there's a turn-by-turn GPS instruction -- you'll hear that also.

The big plus for me is that the older 2730 also has an FM transmitter built-in -- so you can get XM, MP3, AND GPS via FM transmitter to your helmet (no wires from the unit to you are required.)

My expected setup? Either a Creative ZEN microphoto (8 gig of mp3) on my body with Etymotic ER6-i or the Shure E3C's earbuds (unit in my pocket, and FM from garmin to to the zen.). If I want the GPS and XM -- just stick the Zen on FM and match the freq. with the Garmin. If I just want the ZEN MP3 -- hit shuffle play (15 hours of Mp3)

The newer 2820 does not have the FM, you have to buy the XM puck, and the Bluetooth is only MONO. so i passed on the 2820's phone ability to have stereo through the FM transmitter.

Now im only struggling with what earbuds to get -- i'll go search for the er6 and e3c

King of cheap, here. I got tunes in the hat for $40. Sony AM/FM walkman, $30. Sony desktop speakers for same, $10. (Disassembled, speakers installed in helmet) Radio belt clip pop-riveted to helmet. All wires concealed. Short, sweet, and cheap. Well within the budget restrictions of a man with 2 ex-wives and 5 kids.