need new skid lid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnewlf

Reaction score
need a new brain bucket to match my 06 and I'm considering a Shoei x 11. I've had three Arai lids and they all whistle..How do the RF1000 and X11 compare and where is the best price available?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have loved my X-11. I have no experience with the RF-1000.

The X-11 is probably the best venting helmet on the market, so it is great for warmer temps. But on any helmet, more venting generally equals more noise, so it is a noisy helmet. Now I wear earplugs as I do with ANY and EVERY helmet (as EVERYONE should do) so the noise is a non-issue.

Recently, I also purchased the new Shoei Multi-tec (flip) helmet and really like that one too for my long distance riding. And as a bonus, the shields are the same for both helmets.

Some of this has been hashed before, but, love the X 11 much more than the multitec. Much quieter and lighter, the 411.com source is fantastic plus free shipping. One feature that has had little discussion is the removable liner in the X 11, which will be nice when it warms up again and your lid starts to smell like your old football helmet.

Save your $$ and get a Scorpion. Quiet, comfortble and good airflow. Got my EXO700 online for $150. As comfortable as my Arai Quantum and easier shield change.

Steve

Love my X-11 (my last lid was an Arai Quantum II). There are quieter helmets available, however, none that are as comfortable and well ventilated....IMHO.

I have an X-11 And agree it is the most vented helmet

I have owned. It is not Quiet, but the ventalation is great.

Here in Arizona the air movement is important, Got mine at Cycle

Gear with an additional 15% off coupon. They have a 7 day trial

on helmets.

6sgrvjl.jpg

The x-11 is quieter than the Arai corsair and slightly quieter than the Quantum. I talked to our local Shoei sales rep a couple of times. One of his comments re the x-11 vs the rf-1000 is that there really isn't any comparison in terms of comfort or build quality. Not that the rf-1000 is bad, but the x11 is their next generation technology, materials, and fit design. Net/net - if you can afford the x11 get it. If you want the graphics but can't afford the price premium, get a solid - you can't see the graphics from the inside looking out, and the comfort and ventilation is unbeatable.

I personally find the lining in the arai top helmets to be very slightly more plush than the x11, but the x-11 has better (internal) overall support and better wind sealing around the bottom of the helmet. The x11 ventilation around the top of the head is far better than the arais. The scorpion 700 is a good helmet for the money, but if you compare back to back (and wear the helmet for bit of time) the x11 is much better. Certainly more comfortable and slightly better ventilation with a bit less noise.

hope this helpz

CompetitionAccessories.com has rf-1000 for 299$, free shipping. got myself and grandson each one,,, we like them.

I've got no experience with the newer Shoei helmets, my current lid is and HJC. While comfortable, it is noisy. I've been researching new lids and I was all set to buy the Shoei RF-1000, until....

I met a guy that has a Scorpion. He told me his is way more comfortable and way more quiet then his Shoei RF-1000. I started looking at the EXO-700 and had my mind made up that was gonna be my next lid, till......

I started seeing reviews for the new EXO-1000 Apollo from Scorpion. Price is comparable to the Shoei, I like the graphics better and it is a custom fit helmet. The newer EXO-1000 has small air bladders built into the cheek pad areas that are inflated by a small bulb pump in the chin bar. This is somewhat similar to the old Nike air shoes that were so popular a few years back. Being somewhat of a skeptic, I figured I'd wait till I could talk to someone with some real world experience and maybe try one on at a dealer or someplace. I happened to see one and tried it on. Very comfortable, and the shield has a secondary shield built in so no need for sunglasses, or since I wear glasses, no tinted shield required. Seems like it would be a good buy to me. Then I heard from a rider on Pashnit that he had bought one and was really pleased with it.

Now its a matter of saving my pennies for my new lid, probably after the first of the year.

Ray