Need some friendly advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drrpm06

Reaction score
Hello everyone.I posted in the newbie section that I was trading in my 06 R6 for a 05 FJR. Well I got it and now I feel like I regret my choice that I made. I really miss being able to just throw the wherever I want it to go and now I feel like I have to really muscle it around. Yes I know its alot heavier of a bike. I also miss the sound of the R6 and the wife does too. I feel like the bike needs to go onto a diet or something. I do like the bike its just I am not comfortable riding it its like I am on a big scooter. Any Friendly advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... buyer's remorse. Tough one.

Are yours and your wife's butts more comfotable on the FJR after 3 hours of riding, than they were on the R6?

Try fetching groceries sometime on the FJR - seriously. I tried it once and felt like I was driving a two-wheeled truck with the capacity it has to haul...and I could easily carve corners enough to shake the milk up. :)

Try looking into suspension upgrades - I hear that makes a HUGE difference in the handling. Search the forum here for "haulingashe suspension settings" first, though, as the data shared by this gent has helped many an FJR owner find a better setup with the stock suspension.

Check your tires. I know lots of people swear by the PR2s on this forum. I'm still running what came with mine, but my limits are pretty low and it's easily enough for me on pavement.

Adding power is a nice way to combat weight, so maybe research "power commander". There's an ongoing thread in the Technical section about airbox mods. Done right it helps, though taking it too far can hurt, if I recall the gist of the thread correctly. Mufflers seem to be a personal choice thing, though may be needed with a power commander - again, search the forum here.

There is a smacking huge load of info to cure your ills in this forum young man! Cozy up to the "search" button (look up and to the right, just below the header image on this site) and start asking the forum to pony up with ideas and info. ;) Almost a gaurantee your question has been asked and answered, so no need to wait for old farts to fill in the thread. Jump in and get a head start...

...and boy are you every luck you didn't post this on a Friday... :D

After all that, welcome to the joint

drr,

It sounds like you are accustomed to a peaky cycle. The FJR does not have to rev up to 14k rpm to get going and has a more level torque curve. Give it some more time and I think you will get to feel better with it.

You may want to get louder pipes if you want more db's to go with the ride. Personally, I like the stealthy version.

The FJR may not be the bike for you. It happens.

It is a bike that handles well for it's size...BUT it is a large bike and will never be as nimble as your R-6 was. Adequate, but never the same.

There's no shame in admitting a, error. If it's not a match for you and what you and your pillion will be doing/wanting/needing.....find a way to return to what you had.

OTH, if you have plans to load the cases and travel for a weekend or week at a time, you will understand that something has to give to accommodate the carrying abilities and size of a sports-touring motorcycle. There are several FJR owners who have sport-bikes or "naked" bikes (FZ-6, FZ-1, etc.) in their garages for a day ride in the mountains.

OK, I may not help this one bit.

I did not, nor will I ever have buyers remorse for my FJR, but after a couple of years and some really great miles, I realized the FJR never really "spoke to me" when I rode it. It was top heavy, slower to turn in and well just plain heavy. I can assure you though it was the better handling sport tourer I rode. I could throw it in the turns very well, but when I picked up a used R6, I finally realized what I was missing. I had started on sportbikes almost from day one (>20 years ago) and figured getting the R6 would be a great compliment to the FJR. Instead it spoiled me. I then found I was riding the R6 far more than the FJR, even did some long tours on it. I then got up the nerve and traded the FJR in on a CBR1000RR. I am putting bar risers on it, fabricating GIVI sidecase mounts, doing it up like a supersport tourer. So far I am having a great time. My wife doesn't ride, so it was an easy decision for me. Years from now, I will prolly return to a sport tourer, but who knows?

This place is one of the best places for LD tips, mods and such, so even if you move on, you may want to stay around. I get kinda burnt out on the sportbike forums, although I find the liter bike sites a little more mature. Can you get the R6 back and have two?

The only time an FJR feels like a sport bike is when you're coming over from a H-D or H-D knock off.

My suggestion - get another R6 and enjoy both.

The weight of the FJR is not going away, so you'll have to deal with it.... or get rid of it.

What's really happened here is that you and your wife have had an epiphany, i.e., you like the true sport bike better than the sport touring bike. Its OK. The FJR is a great Sport Touring bike.

Hello everyone.I posted in the newbie section that I was trading in my 06 R6 for a 05 FJR. Well I got it and now I feel like I regret my choice that I made. I really miss being able to just throw the wherever I want it to go and now I feel like I have to really muscle it around. Yes I know its alot heavier of a bike. I also miss the sound of the R6 and the wife does too. I feel like the bike needs to go onto a diet or something. I do like the bike its just I am not comfortable riding it its like I am on a big scooter. Any Friendly advice would be greatly appreciated.
Well I also did a similair deal. I had a 03 YZF600R that I traded in on my 07 FJR. You are talking about a bike that is about 200lbs heavier than a 600cc sportbike. It has a longer wheelbase. So yes it takes a little more muscle to throw it around in the twisties. But for me I gained all day comfort and better 2 up comfort. Awesome bottom end torque,awesome wind protection, and a adjustable windshield that is the best invention since slice bread. I still have a blast riding the FJR hard in the tightest twisties you can imagane. As for the sound I have a set of Holeshot slip-ons installed on my bike and they give it a really nice deep throaty sound. It will take you some time to get use to a completely different style bike. I also need to ask if the tires are new? A worn set of tires will make the FJR turn in hard. There is nothing like a fresh set of tires to make the FJR handle like a sportbike again. But in the end you just need to ask yourself is this bike going to meet my needs,wants,and desires? I would give it some time before you will know for sure.

Eric

There's no bike that can do everything. No matter what you get, it will excel in somethings and not in others.

In an ideal world, we would all own multiple bikes for different occasions. Most of us, however, settle on a bike that will fit most of our needs. I ride an SV650 all last year, but it was just brutal on my 32 mile commute with little protection. I loved its flickability and handling, but I wanted more proctection and comfort. After doing a lot of research, I bought an FJR and have not stopped grinning. Maybe because the SV had mediocre suspension, but I feel much more confidenct on an FJR. For me, it handles better for some strange reason.

When the time is right, I would like to add a dual sport bike, something I can take on logging roads to reach remote waters for my other hobby, fly fishing. I would also like to get a proper sports bike to some track days.

For now, I am happy with the FJR.

Life is too short. Get the bike that makes you happy.

Dude you traded a Sport bike for a Sport Touring bike. The FeeJ is an Excellent ST bike. It is NOT a Sport bike. I personally feel you got the better deal.

You want a light throw around fun canyon/track bike get a R6. You want a fun bike that has bags and tons of other stuff for long comfort riding, get a FeeJ. You're right a ST is heavy compared to a Sport bike. Going from my Duc to the FeeJ is always a fun transition for a few minutes, then I'm done. There is no one bike fits perfect for all.

On a trip:

Try riding an R6 with lots of stuff like clothes etc 500 miles a day, then tell me which bike is better.

If you don't want to ride more then a few hundred miles max per day and have no luggage you should have stuck with the R6.

Good luck, ride safe. ;)

I certainly understand your situation. I just went from a very sporty (light weight) Ducati ST4 to an FJR and tonight was my first real ride on the FJR. Talk about 2 very different bikes!! Motorcycles are a compromise. For the majority of the riding I like to do I feel the FJR is going to be the right choice for me. Yes, it is heavy and I can't flick it into a corner and drag my knee (yet!) like I could with my Duc....but that is not the type of riding I do all the time. At some point I intend to pick up a nice, slightly older sport bike for just ripping around and track days (once my left wrist is rebuilt) But I feel what suits my needs most of the time will be this FJR. FAST, comfy for me and the Mrs. and I can pack it up and ride for days if I chose....now that is what sport touring is all about!

Good luck whatever you do.

PM me your number and the best time to call you and I'll try to contact you tomorrow. My last bike was a 03 R6 which was almost the same as the 05 besides the 05 having radial brakes, inverted forks, and a little more power. I went from it to an 08 FJR AE, VERY DIFFERENT. You ultimately have to make the final decision but I can tell you how I came to peace with the idea and I LOVE my FJR. They are two different bikes for different purposes but I can try to help you. Believe me, if anyone knows what you're going trough, it's me. Less than a year ago I was balls to the wall, knee down every single corner, I had to realize that I couldn't keep doing that forever and a little incident taught me so.

Put on a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's. My 08 came with Z6's and the bike felt a bit truckish (especially after they were wore out). I love my FJR now. The PR2's made a huge difference. But it is a big bike, and it is what it is.

+1 on the tires. If they have miles on them, and depending on what brand, they can make a HUGE difference on turn in. I almost regretted my decision on the FJR, and I came from cruisers! The problem with mine was that I was riding so conservitavely for the first few thousand miles getting use to the new type of bike, that I had worn the tires in the middle. After putting on a new set of PR2's, I could not believe the difference in the turn in. Very neutral, and planted feeling. There are many on this board who have witnessed the same transformation with tire selection and suspension set up. No, it is not an R-6, but for me at least it stikes a good balance between sport, and touring.

+1 also on the tires. I have a (sort of) sportbike (98 Honda SuperHawk) as well as the FJR in the garage. The FJR definitely takes more effort when initiating a turn than a lighter, smaller sportbike. It took me a while to get used to it, too, but it's worth the effort.

I've been riding now for 31+ years, on several different bikes. I've ridden a buddy's R6 (AWESOME bike, by the way), but after a few hundred miles of FJR seat time, you may be surprised at how well the FJR can get around a set of corners. In the REALLY tight stuff, like hairpins and switchbacks, the FJR lets you know it's a big bike. But anything faster than the tightest turns are just fine on the FJR.

One hint......try some more assertive body english. I'm not saying a racer hang-off, but a lesser version. Slide your butt of the side of the seat a little bit, use steady, firm pressure on the bars, and push down on the footpeg with your inside foot. Doing this, one or two-up, you will start to get in the groove, and really appreciate the FJR for what it can do.

Tires, though, as stated previously, make a huge difference. When my tires are more than half-gone, I start to hate how the bike handles. It's tough to initiate the turn, then wants to take a set, making it difficult and tippy-feeling when trying to tighten the turn. I love the new Michelin PR2s, but any new brand of tire will make the bike handle beautifully again. Stay with it, and maybe there's another R6 in your future, taking its rightful place next to your FJR.

Some guys like blondes, some like brunettes. I can say that coming off of bigger, heavier, and older bikes, that the FJR feels like a lightweight street fighter to me. But you gotta go with what works for you. I know from experience that the FJR and most other ST machines will outperform most riders on the road, but I'm sure it doesn't compare to any of the sport bikes on the market. So be it.

Ride the bike that makes you glad you bought it. There are too many choices out there to suffer any regrets.

I ant to thank you all for the comments. I am going to tonight try and change the suspension settings and hopefully that will help alot. I did order exhaust for it too so I am waitting for that.

Where in Omaha were you riding your R6 to "throw it around?" Like Omaha, living in pancake land there is nowhere to lean an FJR, let alone an R6. I think I replied to you before, I traded in my 2004 R6 for a 2006 FJR and am happy with my choice. I needed a bike that could get me to the twisties and could handle them once I got there; FJR is that perfect bike. Now if you lived in SoCal or on top of a mountain or racetrack, them by all means the R6 is your bike.

Just curious, what are your tire pressures? Keep at it at least 39 in front and 42 in rear. When I got new tires put on the shop had them at 34 for both and the FJR felt like a sluggish pig. Pumped them to factory recommendations and the bike handled great again.

Where in Omaha were you riding your R6 to "throw it around?" Like Omaha, living in pancake land there is nowhere to lean an FJR, let alone an R6. I think I replied to you before, I traded in my 2004 R6 for a 2006 FJR and am happy with my choice. I needed a bike that could get me to the twisties and could handle them once I got there; FJR is that perfect bike. Now if you lived in SoCal or on top of a mountain or racetrack, them by all means the R6 is your bike.
Just curious, what are your tire pressures? Keep at it at least 39 in front and 42 in rear. When I got new tires put on the shop had them at 34 for both and the FJR felt like a sluggish pig. Pumped them to factory recommendations and the bike handled great again.
LOL Yes Omaha sucks for roads. I am from Minneapolis so I would ride alot of river roads and roads in Wisc. I am now about 15 minutes from Mid America Motorplex so I took the R6 there a few times. I did mess with the suspension some and that did help. I would like to put it on a diet but the only weight I could save is getting the wife off of it lol. I am looking at tires and I know most people swear by PR2. I am a huge fan of Dunlop and great luck with their Qualifer on the R6. So I am doing alot of reading on tires.

Take off the bags (-40#) and the trunk (-15#) and the stock exhaust (-25#) and it will weigh about 80# less, have no storage, and look faster too! (Just like an R6) ;)

+1 on new tires for quicker handling.