Need some gear advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chornbe

Reaction score
My gear sucks. I currently have a Joe Rocket Meteor 5.0 jacket and Ballistic pants. The pants and jacket are both leaking now - zippers and such. So, I'm shopping new gear.

The obvious answer is Aerostich. I'm aware of this. I'm also looking at stuff I can get thru' my local dealer because I don't pay shipping and I get a 10% discount on everything.

My other issue is, and this appears to only be an issue on the FJR, water is running down my sleeve and into my gloves. Now THAT is irksome ;)

So, what do you folks do for the 3 colder seasons and/or wet weather?

(ps... the other obvious answer, "Go faster", doesn't count :) )

I'm not a fan of Joe Rocket stuff, so , yeah , if you got the money, Aerostitch is great, but I have had good luck with products from Firstgear and Fieldsheer. Priced better than Joe Rocket stuff, and in my opinion , better made. My dealer carries them so that helps.

As far as water running into you glove , try putting the sleeves over the end of the glove instead of the other way around.

KM

It's not something I'd do if I were buying new, but I conveniently had great leftover snowmobile gear when I got my FJR and started LD riding during the season extremes. I personally still wear my summer mesh Joe Rocket that has decent armor , but then put on my Klim Goretex Shell over the top.

That sucker is seriously waterproof, has underarm vents, the sleeves cinch up nicely, and means I don't have to carry extra rain gear. If snowmobile gear doesn't cover cold and wet weather...I don't know what would. I do the same thing with mesh Joe Rocket pants and Klim Snowmobile bibs.

I wouldn't suggest going out and buying Klim, but I add this post to point out the idea of a Goretex shell over existing apparel approach might be an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to the www.ibmwr.org site and look at the Marketplace for lightly used gear. There are 7 Roadcrafter and Darien suits there right now. Maybe one will fit you just right for about 1/2 price. I bought a used suit there 6 years ago and saved about $500 off the price of a new suit. Check back about once a week for new offerings.

ATGATT and it don't get much better even for more money.

I use the First Gear HT Overpants and Kili 2 jacket. Pants are good to go - they have mesh but also have a zip in liner. I've never had my legs get cold and have ridden down to 17 degrees. The Kili 2 jacket works great. Nice fleece liner, it's waterproof, 3/4 length. One drawback on the Kili for me is that the arms are narrow through the forearms. I don't have Popeye forearms but find that I can't wear more than a shirt and undershirt plus the liner. More than that and I have a problem stuffing my arm through the sleeve.

Someone posted here that they've had problems with First Gear zippers - I agree. I've lost two zipper pulls off First Gear pants and one of the sleeve zipper openings on my Kili is stuck closed - came that way. I never sent it in for repair as I only use the jacket in cold weather.

Lorie and I are both walking advertisements for First Gear - 2 x Mesh jackets/2 x Mesh trou/1 x HT overpant/1 x Kili II. That said, and while they work fine, I will look elsewhere next time we need gear.

Well, being still irked from yesterday's leaky ride home, I went and did a little shopping at lunch time today. I ended up getting one of these:

ast-mens-jacket.jpg

https://www.olympiamotosports.com/ast_mens/ast_mens.htm

I didn't get the pants. The new jacket comes down far enough that I think it will deflect the crotch puddling (hehehe) and prevent/minimize the pants leaking.

We'll see. And yes, I got the Day Glo yellow. Now the wife is happy I'm wearing something a tad more visible. The JR Meteor is blue/black and isn't terribly dusk-friendly.

That looks like a very nice jacket, a lot like a Kilimanjaro, and a lot like the JR Revolution Jacket that I use for Fall/Winter/Spring riding. It's water proof, but they don't make it anymore, or anything decent like it.

Dunno why? I got it on closeout for a song, and should have bought two.

It's still holding up well but isn't a 'bright' as I'd like it to be but I can fix that if I were so inclined.

Someday I'll get a stitch.