Need to know interest level for new Garmin Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04FJR4ME

Reaction score
As some of you may know, been trying to help out this forum in the past years with discount and benefits for GPS from my company to FJR owners.

Now I need your help, been looking to carry tons of Garmin Zumo 550's this 4th quarter and like to get your impression of how popular this unit will be.

I been trying to market it as both vehicle and motorcycle GPS navigation, but I have not really been very successful selling into the motorcycle market, everyone wish to buy units at our cost or even less.

So I would like to know what the interest level is for this new Garmin Zumo and what are the plus and minus for this system. It is under MRP so the price is $999 if you buy it through an authorized Garmin dealer, if they sell it for less, Garmin stop shipping to them.

How many of you would consider buying this at the $999 price and if not, what price does it have to be before you pick one up this year.

Here is the link to the Garmin Zumo 550 for those of you that are not familiar with this product.

Garmin Zumo 550

Too much for me! I'm more interested in a basic point A to point B GPS. $999 is more than I'd spend.

Already went with a 2730, but I remember looking at it.

Although the gloved hand thing seemed interesting I got this impression that it suffered in too many other areas compared to the 2730 to consider it. May have been just my perception that it was slightly dumbed down and more expensive.

No Zumo for me. I am thinking about something in the < $500 range myself. I am only interested in a gps, not other audio features.

Last edited by a moderator:
james,

the one thing missing that i'm willing to wait for is the ability to download tunes from satelite radio onto the mp3 player. do you know of any gps that offers that capability yet?

derek

No Zumo for me. I am thinking about something in the < $500 range myself. I am only interested in a gps, not other audio features.
Ditto.
I been trying to market it as both vehicle and motorcycle GPS navigation, but I have not really been very successful selling into the motorcycle market, everyone wish to buy units at our cost or even less

I'm interested in the below cost option, pm sent

Too much for me! I'm more interested in a basic point A to point B GPS. $999 is more than I'd spend.
Ditto. I'm shopping GPSes with bigger screens than my Quest II, but man... the prices are all over the board. I can't make sense of it all. I *think* I want a 2720, but I dunno... (sigh)

My 2730 will most likely pull full duty in the cage once I get a new one for the FJR.

Zumo looks nice but it would have to be less than $800 for me to bite.

I would love to support you James but a $200 price margin is a pretty huge gap for me to stomach.

I guess Amazon & Costco are too big of a vendor for Garmin to enforce the MRP program across the board.

I was in West Marine about an hour ago and was asking about the Garmin Zumo 550. When he told me $799.00 with 3 months XM for free I told him to check a little closer because that didn't sound right to me as I thought they hadn't been released yet. He showed me the computer screen showing a Garmin C550 available immediately from the warehouse. Just to be sure he called Garmin directly and was told that they don't have a release date yet for the Zumo and that the C550 is a completely different unit with the primary difference being that the Zumo is waterproof and the C550 is not. So those of you that are interested, DO NOT confuse the two units. At $800.00 I was ready to bite but at 1K with the antenna being sold seperately I think I would have to pass

If this image is the odometer readout, I'm afraid there is not nearly enough information visible at a glance for me to consider it. I have been very happy with my SP2730 so far.

pt-zumolf-lg.jpg

I don't see enough new tweaks to upgrade from my 2610, since I've already got an XM receiver seperately mounted on the bars.

I am shopping for one. I will buy one when the zumo 550 reaches $750-ish without xm antenna or $800 with xm antenna. The price point is too high and Garmin has too many product offering that are not distinct enough. If the zumo gets bad reviews or does not drop in price then I will buy a 2730.

If I was looking to upgrade from my 276c I would consider it but I can't justify upgrading any time in the near future. I agree with Skyway on the display, I would need to see what the other screens show (if that is just the "dash board" screen or if it is the one with the max data fields).

Hey thanks a lot guys, this is the time of feed back I need to send to Garmin.

I would say buy at the best price you can for the Garmin Zumo 550, I have no control over the pricing at this point since Garmin will not ship us unit if they know we broke MRP.

Just have to wait and see I guess and many thanks for the feedbacks.

04FJR4ME

James

I plan on looking over the Zumo, and will either pick it , or the 478. I want XM and like the bluetooth thing, price is not an object, but features and what accessories come with each unit would make a diffrence in my final decision.

KM

Not a chance. I'm plenty happy with my Quest at about a third of the price.

I wonder how much they'll get for those stoopid flame skins

Not a chance. I'm plenty happy with my Quest at about a third of the price.
I wonder how much they'll get for those stoopid flame skins
Well, if this other image implies anything, I'd guess that they'll get whatever they ask for them. :D

I always get a lot of interest from the HD crowd in reference to my 2730, seems Garmin has noticed this as well. Bar hopping has never been so easy, eh? Sorry couldn't resist.

pt-zumocf-lg.jpg

Currently I have a 176c and it does just about all I need it to do. I would love to have a gps that auto routes, but I just can't justify the cost so I can have that one additional feature. The Zumo looks like a nice GPS for motorcycles, however, the cost is just way to high. If it was $600 - $800 with external antenna then I would be interested. B)