needa controller for my dual star grip heaters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrjonesing

Reaction score
I bought and installed the dual stars last spring but didn't hook up the controller. I got the rocker type switch, which didn't look terribly robust and required a huge hole. I'd like a rheostat type switch, but something less obvious than the butt-ugly Yamaha controller I had previously, and something cheaper than the $60 heat- troller.

I checked Radio-Shack. Other sources?

As always, appreciate any help.

Jim/jonesin'

You have pretty much covered what is available. The two speed switch is probably the best option if $60 is too much for the Heat Troller. The switch is simple, cheap and effective. If the switch fails, spend the big bucks and get another $5 replacement.

The rheostat type controllers require some electronics to work which takes you back to the Heat Troller. The 'Troller has a quality pulse width modulated output which is kind to your electrical system. I recently looked at the power controller from one of the cheap grip kits and it used a nasty power pulse controller which you should avoid if possible. A true rheostat will have to dissipate a lot of heat and that would make it very big. The heat would also make it hard to place the rheostat where it wouldn't melt plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,

I used the hi/lo that come with the Dual Stars and it works fine. For me, the cost of adding a heat troller just isn't worth it. Hi/lo has worked alright from 17 degress upwards. I agree that the switch is el cheapo, I stuck a boot on it and it works fine so far - 13 months and counting.

Edit - if you're looking for good switches, I've bought all my wire and switches (except the Dual Star switch) at boating supply stores with good results.

Last edited by a moderator: