NEP CC4 - Throttle Lock - $20.95

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walden

Reaction score
Howdy,

Has anyone tried installing one of these? NEP CC4

I have Throttlemeisters and find them a little complicated for anything other than interstate riding. I thought these would be a pretty nice replacement for only $20. These look like they take up less throttle real estate than the vistacruise or madco throttle locks.

Installation post: link

Pros: It seems like I could use this NEP throttle lock, heated grips and V-Strom handguards at the same time.

Anyone have cons?

It works! Not the same as the NEP CC4 kit you refer to, but I installed a Vista Cruise the same way as described in the FJRTech article above.

I also followed it up with the BMW grips and heavy bar-end weights also described in the above referenced articles. Looks nice and clean with no issues.

I also don't see how the CC4 will occupy any less real estate than the vista-cruise on my bike right now. The plastic ring around the throttle "appears" to be about the same thickness?

Last edited by a moderator:

I like my Vista Cruise and know it works on the FJR. So why take a chance on a product made for a different bike when the V-C at the same price will work for sure?

Plusses for the V-C: inexpensive, simple.

Minuses: I find it tough to keep it adjusted right so it holds tight when I want it to (sometimes it will let the speed begin to drop after a few seconds) and isn't TOO tight when I don't want it to hold (if adjusted wrong, it tends to hold a speed a bit when you release the throttle).

But having said all that, the problems are minor for the uses I have for it, meaning just being able to take my right hand off the grip for a few seconds for one reason or another: take a photo, wave, flex my hand, etc. BUT. I had a Throttlemeister on my other FJR and I really loved it. Both of my FJRs came to me with the throttle locks named already installed. Since the T-M is more complicated and expensive, I'd buy another Vista Cruise if I needed one now, but I did prefer the T-M. Make sure you've given yourself a chance to get used to it. What I liked best about it was I could just tighten it down enough to allow full throttle movement, but it only needed a slight further twist to tighten down enough to hold speed. Did a much better job of holding it where I left it, too. Plus you can always override the thing with a firm twist of the grip without touching the T-M.

Minuses: I find it tough to keep it adjusted right so it holds tight when I want it to (sometimes it will let the speed begin to drop after a few seconds) and isn't TOO tight when I don't want it to hold (if adjusted wrong, it tends to hold a speed a bit when you release the throttle).
I had this same issue with the V/C. No matter how much I adjusted, could not get it to hold properly with hanging up the throttle.

Bought the NEP, installed in 5 minutes, and works perfect and holds for miles without slipping. I like the looks and location of the thumb latch on the v/c better, but just couldn't get it to work right. The NEP is thinner as well. I'm using with stock grips so not an issue with either, but NEP is thinner.

I have not had the issues with Vista Cruise that the above two posters have described. I generally use it to give the throttle hand a little break, do some stretches, or adjust the heated grip switch, which ill-advisedly was placed on the right side panel etc. Although, on long straight and flat stretches of the road - I have also used it for several minutes at a time with no apparent slipping of the throttle. Granted I periodically (once every month maybe) re-check the cruise lock for any holding issues which may have developed, but so far I have only had to adjust it a couple of times at the most.

I have not used the NEP so I can't really compare it against a VC, however, if it is thinner, has anecdotal evidence of it working just as well or better and is a few bucks cheaper than the VC - then why not?

Builderwill would be your go to guy for this - since he has already figured out how to make it work for the FJR.

I had this same issue with the V/C. No matter how much I adjusted, could not get it to hold properly with hanging up the throttle.

Bought the NEP, installed in 5 minutes, and works perfect and holds for miles without slipping. I like the looks and location of the thumb latch on the v/c better, but just couldn't get it to work right. The NEP is thinner as well. I'm using with stock grips so not an issue with either, but NEP is thinner.
I had the same problems with two of my Vista Cruise units. I finally figured out how to make it better. It was not designed to be screwed down in a fixed position because you would have to drill the hole in the housing in the perfect position to get it to line up right. If you look at the instructions it was made to be used with a little metal bracket that holds the bottom of the VC unit to keep it from turning with the the throttle, but lets it move up and down slightly as needed. What I did was to slot the hole verically and not tighten the screw down tight so it will give some slack when you activate the VC. This way it can grip 360 degrees around the throttle sleeve. Works much better.

GP

I had the V-C on a Concours and the NEP on two Hondas ( CB & GL ), a Suzuki GS

and currently on my FJR.

The V-C is a slippery cuss, always treading the line between too loose ( slips )

and too tight ( binds ).

The NEP, made of nylon instead of plastic, must have higher friction as it holds

the throttle position over a wider range of adjustment. It's always been easy to

find that sweet spot: holding steady throttle while still allowing manual override.

I mounted mine with a metal tang I made attached to a switch housing screw.