NEP throttle lock install?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-Voltron

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I tried to search for the key words 'NEP' but the website won't let me search for 3-letter words.

Anyways, I ordered a NEP throttle lock and I cannot figure out how to install it.

They sent me the one for Suzuki/Yamaha single throttle cable. I have sneeking suspision that they sent me the wrong part number.

I know someone on the forum had instructions on how to install it, but I can't find it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The NEP is much better than the Vista and worth the trouble to install.

I used a narrow metal strip about 2-1/2" long to tie a screw on the

switch housing to the bottom of the NEP to keep it from rotating forward.

The NEP hasn't needed adjustment in over 45K miles of regular use.

Unlike the Vista I had that needed constant fiddling because it was

either too loose or too tight, never "just right".

I've used NEPs for about 30 years and Vistas for 4. For me there's

no comparison.

IN MY OPINION, The NEP is much better than the Vista and worth the trouble to install.

no comparison.
Fixed it for ya!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Vista Cruise installed on my FJR now, but I had previously used the NEP throttle lock for almost twenty years. IIRC, the only real operational difference was whether you flip up to lock, or flip down to lock. I found both products to do a fine job.

Neither product is a ready fit for the FJR without some modifications (at least if you have a hope of operating them as designed).

no comparison.
Any chance you can take some photos of it installed? Like I said, I think they sent me the wrong one because it only has room for a single throttle cable.

Yo guys,

I installed a throttle lock from Brakeawayproducts.

Very easy to install and it has a thum disconnect and a brake lever disconnect!

Touch the front brake lever and it disengages the throttle or click the unlock switch. Very cool piece of kit.

I used mine from Mass to Newfoundland. Deffinately would have gotten wrist-limpage without it.

no comparison.
Any chance you can take some photos of it installed? Like I said, I think they sent me the wrong one because it only has room for a single throttle cable.

Sorry, I didnt see your post until today.

PM me an email address and I'll send you some pics from my iPhone.

Robert

Spatch63 - the trouble with the Brakeaway is that its $209. That's Two-Hundred bucks.

Throttlemeisters are $120, ManicSalamanders are $115 - still decent money for products that aren't perfect for many.

mwhjrtx had just posted instructions (https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=147454 )for making something that would work for a dollar, basically using a washer to replicate what Kaoko sells for $125: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5127/758/

I think the real holy grail is just a simple Vista Cruize or NEP purposefully built for the FJR for $40. Hell, I'd pay $60 if it worked. I mean, their designs go back decades, do they really fit many bikes without being modified anymore?

From the looks of the forum, it appears that many FJR's had been installing the audiovox cruise controls right off the floor, so there's something to this desire to being able to lock the grip thing for LD travels.

As for me, I currently have a non-functioning (?) audiovox that was on the Feej when I got her, ugly as sin, but boy I wished it worked. I have the big clothspin attached from twisted throttle, and that's way less than perfect. Have to fiddle with it all the time - due mostly that I'm running ProGrips that are a bit squirmy.

Still lookin'

Am I doing it wrong or is there a big black plastic free floating washer right where I want my NEP to go?