New 07 FJR owner questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cor

Reaction score
I just purchased an 07 and considered the AE but after riding for 40 years, decided it was not for me. Love my Black Cheery and feel I made the right decision. I have already purchased a G2 to fix the snatchy throttle, the BreakAway Cruise (really like the brake lever release) and will be purchasing a GPS unit shortly, probably the Gamin C550 or Nuvi 360. I like the Bluetooth option on both of these units. (cell phone) I've also researched mounts and it looks like Ram has the answer there also. I like the stem mount for the FJR, has anyone mounted a Garmin in this location, if so what height do I need for the ram arm, looks like the shortest one might work well in this location but can you tighten it there, is there enough room? Looking forward to reading and participating in the forums in the years ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the RAM mount ball in the left control pod (where a handlebar mount mirror would live normally) then used the 2nd shortest extension for my Nuvi... It's nice! Watch how you mount it so that the GPS doesn't bump with windshield at full handlebar lock. Also insure that you have enough powercord length BEFORE you ride off!

Enjoy!

--Buz...

I have my Garmin 276C mounted on stem-mount (not RAM) on my '07A. Works great and helps keep my eyes generally aimed forward. The stem mounts allowed me to position my GPS perfectly, without getting it in the way of the gages.

I used the Techmount stem stand to mount my Garmin 2720

bikepics-857713-full.jpg

It is the 3.5" length stem and I'm happy with it. I ordered it here:

Techmount

Hey Bob, I finally ended up with the identical set-up you have but bought the Garmin 550C instead, very happy with the result. The stem nut mount is excellent and the the standard Ram short mount is the way to go. Thanks for your comments and all the others.

I've now also added the Break-Away Cruise control, let me tell you folks, this is an excellent product, beautifully designed and machined. Frankly I was amazed that it's made in the USA and told them so, it looks like a Yamaha factory part on the bike. It's fairly easy to install although it does take some tinkering to adjust correctly. If you don't go electronic, this is the only mechanical cruise to consider because when your'e leaving the road at 70 MPH, believe me, the first and only thing you think about is stopping the bike and you'll instinctively grab that brake lever. The Break-Away is the only cruise that automatically knocks out the cruise as soon as you touch that lever. Spend the extra money!

I also installed a G2 Ergomonics throttle cam. Another excellent product that took 10 minutes to install and has, for all intents and purposes, eliminated the horrible roll on throttle lag, common on the standard FJR's and something that drove me crazy when first got the bike. NOTE, I did not disconnect the throttle return spring as many have done/suggested because after I installed the Break-Away Cruise, I worried that the now extra interference would hinder the throttle from returning all the way to the closed position if the spring was removed. Really with the cruise, the heavy throttle problem disappears since it's now so easy to give your right had a rest once in a while, when it starts to fall asleep!

Last edited by a moderator: