New 08 FJR1300 owner - Farckling begins...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Kelly

Reaction score
I just bought an 08 with 4K miles on it. The bike comes with sliders, and reflective material on the side bags, but otherwise is stock. I've ordered a GPS mount (master cylinder style) and a powerlet... I need heated grips (Prefer OEM), a backrest for the wife (Including a luggage rack, and a laminar lip to allow the air to hit the helmet better... Otherwise, not sure what else I'll need... Please point me to suitable vendors... I'm coming from a ZRX1100 (Which I still have until it is sold) and chose the FJR over the Concours for a couple of reasons... Rode the Concours (Two good friends who own them) and didn't like the heat issues and the physical size of the concours... The FJR was the right choice for my needs... Very happy so far!!

Mike

I would really recommend against OEM heated grips. You can do better in price, performance, and ergonomics with aftermarket in my not so humble opinion.

As for luggage rack/backrest, see threads my member Garauld or google Premiere Cycle Accessories.

I highly recommend a VistaCruise throttlelock.

Congrats on the FJR and enjoy!

Congrats on the new purchase MK. You'll never look back!

Before you begin spending hard money, start by asking yourself what you're using the bike for. You mentioned a luggage rack / back rest for the SO. Are you traveling far? If so, then consider a trunk for extra [secure] storage that doubles as a back rest. Also consider a custom seat..it all depends on your intended use. Windshields / laminar lip are a personal item, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

Watch the for sale section of the forum. If you're patient there is always oodles of goodies at 50% of retail or less. This allows one to experiment w/o having a lot of $$$ invested and if the item doesn't work as expected, sell it again, likely only paying shipping costs...

Just my $.02

--G

Well I ended up with the Premire Cycle Accessories Luggage Rack/ GIVI Mount Hardware kit. I'll order a V46 in the next 30-45 days. I also just ordered a Nat'l Cycles Vstream off Amazon for $158 (Inc. shipping). I bought the master cylinder ramball mount setup thru another vender and also got a powerlet brand power outlet... I'm going to steal the weather proof cig. plug-in I wired into the ZRX before I sell it, along with the trickle charger pigtail.

The other items I'm going to add over the winter are heated grips (as mentioned above) and maybe a Bluetooth setup to run my iPhone 4 thru... I'll search for info on the heated grip kits. What I don't want is a toggle switch for on/off... Really want a dial I can crank up or down for heat intensity. Any products that have been proven and known to work well would be great. Thinking about a Throttlemeister to help with the choppy throttle, but will see if a tuneup cures the issue...

Thanks for the tips and advice...

Mike

Welcome to the fold ,Mike. Check out the Gerbing brand of heated equiptment, they have a temp.controller that can be mounted on the handlebar or along the side-fairing somewhere. My lady has their gloves and loves them, and it took only a few minutes to wire them in.

I took the "cheap" way on the trunk/backrest by finding an older Yamaha Venture trunk and mounting bracket and mounting them to the plastic Yamaha mount, very securely,I might add. This allows me to lock the trunk in place and remove it in a second with the same lock.

We plan on painting the trunk to match this Winter. I feel most trunks can be made to mount, such as Goldwing,current Yamaha touring bikes, even the H.D. brand, but the HD stuff can be costly, even on E-bay, and the HD stuff might make your bike slower or leak oil, then there is that viberation thing! GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN! Ron D. Yamahas rule the road even if it gets twisty HAPPY FARKLING!

Welcome to the fold ,Mike. Check out the Gerbing brand of heated equiptment, they have a temp.controller that can be mounted on the handlebar or along the side-fairing somewhere. My lady has their gloves and loves them, and it took only a few minutes to wire them in.

I took the "cheap" way on the trunk/backrest by finding an older Yamaha Venture trunk and mounting bracket and mounting them to the plastic Yamaha mount, very securely,I might add. This allows me to lock the trunk in place and remove it in a second with the same lock.

We plan on painting the trunk to match this Winter. I feel most trunks can be made to mount, such as Goldwing,current Yamaha touring bikes, even the H.D. brand, but the HD stuff can be costly, even on E-bay, and the HD stuff might make your bike slower or leak oil, then there is that viberation thing! GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN! Ron D. Yamahas rule the road even if it gets twisty HAPPY FARKLING!

Until yesterday I would have argued that the EM grips are great, being 'speed sensitive' and all that. But yesterday mine stopped working - and while it could well be a 'spider issue' (search the term if you don;t know what that is) it could also be an open grip or something else.

I'm off to try to diagnose the problem.

However the key Farkles, as far as I'm concerned are Headlight Modulator,Cruise Control, Heated Grips, GPS and sliders. You already have the sliders.

Secondary goals: Auxiliary driving lights, Modulated auxiliary brake lights, Corbin Smugler and so on . . .

Edit: Looks like the right grip is open circuit. Believe it or not they want $261.96 at retail ($190 discounted) at ronayers.com for one Gonna have to chat with dealer to see if my Canadian version of YES will cover it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I ended up installing quite a bit of "Stuff" since buying the bike 6 weeks ago...

Ended up with the VStream windscreen, PCA Rack, Givi Mounts, GIVI V46 topcase with optional backrest pad, OEM heated grips, a powerlet plug, and two ball mounts for the GPS and iPhone.

I'm "done" for now except for maintenance and tires. Plan to get a set of PR2s and have the bike gone over by a good independent tech I have used in the past. I've put 1200 miles on it in the first 6 weeks, and it's been a joy to own and ride so far... No regrets and waiting for the first bike trip of the spring!! Until then I will just commute in the cold when the itch needs to be scratched.

Mike