New Cee Bailey Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like mine! I really like it with the Skyway spacers. At 6'2 w/ 32" inseam, if I so desire, I can tilt the 'shield back enough to get fresh air in my faceshield yet still have the protection in the Winter cold and/or rain.

Congrats on the upgrade.

I like mine! I really like it with the Skyway spacers. At 6'2 w/ 32" inseam, if I so desire, I can tilt the 'shield back enough to get fresh air in my faceshield yet still have the protection in the Winter cold and/or rain.
Congrats on the upgrade.

I need to make a decision, and happen to be 6"2' w/ 32 inseam also.

Did you experiment w/ several shields before picking the CB? I can't decide between CB w/ skyway spacers, or the Rifle, which comes with a spacer-block kit.

At 6-2, is +4 enough?

Thanks

Congrats on the upgrade.

Did you experiment w/ several shields before picking the CB? I can't decide between CB w/ skyway spacers, or the Rifle, which comes with a spacer-block kit.

At 6-2, is +4 enough?

Thanks
Don't know if this will help but I'm 5'10", 32" inseam. I rode with the stock windshield for about 8K miles and have a 1500 mile trip coming up in a few weeks. Going down the interstates with the stock windshield I really get beat around. A freind of mine has a Cee Bailey on his FJR with the flip and I just picked up a used, like new off of e-bay for $80 plus $20 shipping. I don't have any blocks as of yet and don't know if I will. Going to do the ride in a few weeks and I'll let you know how it works out. I've only had it on for a day but so far it makes a world of difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the upgrade.

At 6-2, is +4 enough?

Thanks
There is no "Windshield Nirvana" that I have found. The Skyway spacer or Rifle tuning block allow air under the windshield that ameliorates the vacuum caused buffeting. If I lower the windshield to the lowest position, I have clear air on my faceshield and a blast of fresh air blowing on my chest, whecih helps greatly in the summer when I'm wearing my MiraCool vest. When the weather is cooler, I can raise the 'shield so that the engine heat is pulled up and thus ride warmer.

The best windshield I have used is a CalSci tall windshield (Link Here). Mark's shop is close to where I work and I was able to go by there and try one. I can ride my FJR w/o earplugs using this windshield and I have to turn down the volume on my Autocom (GPS w/ XM, radar detector, etc.). However, the CalSci windshield is so efficient at blocking the wind that it is far too warm for me to use in the Summer.

During the Winter I install the CalSci, but once the weather in California's central valley begins to warm, I revert to the CeeBailey and use my earplugs.

Perhaps a taller CeeBailey would work better, but the +4 height is all that was available when I bought mine. You could always trim it if it was too tall. You should query those with the Rifle to get their opinion. Better yet, see if someone near you has one you could "swap" on a ride.

BTW, I had a CeeBailey with a flip which produced too much head buffet! I much prefer the standard contour and avoid anything with a flip.

At 6-2, is +4 enough?

Thanks

I am 6' and 200 lbs. I bought a plus 4 high by plus 2 wide. I got my wife a plus 2 high by plus 2 wide. Both of ours are with the flip (which I love). However, I now wish I had bought my wife a standard size with a flip and me a plus 2 with a flip. The plus 4 is nice but, if you are like me, and enjoy lots of air in the summer, the 4 over may do it for you. Also, if you get a windshield that is too high, imo it does not look right on the FJR. Plus, it may cause too much pressure on the windshield motor (???), but that is just speculation.

Good luck....

I added a Cee Bailey windshield to my FJR right after I got the bike, I've had it on the bike for so long I've almost forgotten exactly how much larger it is than the stock shield, I believe it was 4" higher and 4" wider. I have been impressed with the quality of the CB Shield, the material CB uses looks to be much thicker than the stock windshield thickness; and it doesn't seem to scratch as easy as the original shield did. Cee Baily even sends some of their plastic shield cleaner for you to use to keep it clean, I know it's a sales ploy but it does a nice job and doesn't leave those fine scratches in the plastic when you're done. The CB Shield did make a big difference, but if the shield isn't all of the way in the up position you get a lot of buffeting, but once it is up, it's so quiet it has an almost an eerie quiet to it. The only place where the shield lets me down is when it's almost all of the way up, if it weren't for that it would be perfect in every position. To get around the buffeting I just ordered the Laminar Lip I've heard others speak highly of. Granted it may look a little goofy mounted to the top of the windshield, but if it does the trick and gets rid of the buffeting, it will be worth it.

I had thought they made one of their windshields that was 6" higher than stock, but I didn't go quite that far I do remember. I was afraid the sheer size of a windshield 6" higher than the stck one would overwhelm the front of the bike. I do remember after I installed my new windshielf I thought it was big (it was 4" higher) but I quickly got used to it. If someone did install one of the CB Shields that is 6" higher, and does the complete trick; you may be better off just installing the larger shield and forget about the Laminar Lip. It would be cheaper by about $100.00 after shipping.

I can also say Cee Bailey wants their customers to be satisfied, if you have any questions or problems they definately help you out and are great people to deal with, at least that was my experience in dealing with them. I have no relation to the Cee Bailey Company or anyone there, they just treated me right.

Congrats on the upgrade.

At 6-2, is +4 enough?

Thanks
There is no "Windshield Nirvana" that I have found. The Skyway spacer or Rifle tuning block allow air under the windshield that ameliorates the vacuum caused buffeting. If I lower the windshield to the lowest position, I have clear air on my faceshield and a blast of fresh air blowing on my chest, whecih helps greatly in the summer when I'm wearing my MiraCool vest. When the weather is cooler, I can raise the 'shield so that the engine heat is pulled up and thus ride warmer.

The best windshield I have used is a CalSci tall windshield (Link Here). Mark's shop is close to where I work and I was able to go by there and try one. I can ride my FJR w/o earplugs using this windshield and I have to turn down the volume on my Autocom (GPS w/ XM, radar detector, etc.). However, the CalSci windshield is so efficient at blocking the wind that it is far too warm for me to use in the Summer.

During the Winter I install the CalSci, but once the weather in California's central valley begins to warm, I revert to the CeeBailey and use my earplugs.

Perhaps a taller CeeBailey would work better, but the +4 height is all that was available when I bought mine. You could always trim it if it was too tall. You should query those with the Rifle to get their opinion. Better yet, see if someone near you has one you could "swap" on a ride.

BTW, I had a CeeBailey with a flip which produced too much head buffet! I much prefer the standard contour and avoid anything with a flip.
Thanks, that helps.

Do you use the Skyway spacers with the CalSci, also? Like everyone else, my 2 problems are: height - the stocker pushes wind smack into the middle of the helmet; and that vacuum, which the spacers/blocks apparently eliminate. Since CalSci's vents evidently mitigate the vacuum effect also, would that render the skyway spacers redundant?

I'm still holding onto the hope that "Windshield Nirvana" exists.

I need to make a decision, and happen to be 6"2' w/ 32 inseam also. Did you experiment w/ several shields before picking the CB? I can't decide between CB w/ skyway spacers, or the Rifle, which comes with a spacer-block kit.

At 6-2, is +4 enough?

Thanks

I am 6' and 200 lbs. I bought a plus 4 high by plus 2 wide. I got my wife a plus 2 high by plus 2 wide. Both of ours are with the flip (which I love). However, I now wish I had bought my wife a standard size with a flip and me a plus 2 with a flip. The plus 4 is nice but, if you are like me, and enjoy lots of air in the summer, the 4 over may do it for you. Also, if you get a windshield that is too high, imo it does not look right on the FJR. Plus, it may cause too much pressure on the windshield motor (???), but that is just speculation.

Good luck....

To flip, or not to flip? I have one for, one against. Not crazy about the look, but if it works...maybe.

Having measured myself, per the CalSci prodedure: Windshield Measurement, I need at least 4 inches, maybe more, extra height. I'm really getting beaten up, over 60mph.

Since both CalSci and CeeBailey offer low-hassle exchanges, I guess experimenting is the way to go. Quality w/ both brands must be better than stock.

Thanks, that helps. Do you use the Skyway spacers with the CalSci, also? Like everyone else, my 2 problems are: height - the stocker pushes wind smack into the middle of the helmet; and that vacuum, which the spacers/blocks apparently eliminate. Since CalSci's vents evidently mitigate the vacuum effect also, would that render the skyway spacers redundant?

I'm still holding onto the hope that "Windshield Nirvana" exists.
Yes, once I installed spacers (my own simple solution, years ago, using different sizes of SAE nuts and longer metric countersunk screws) then converting to Skyway's when he began manufacturing them, I've not removed them.

Because the spacers raise and tilt the bottom of the 'shield, in the down position, I get fresh air on my face shield AND on my chest (from under the 'shield). The fresh-air-under-the-'shield effect may be less on NewGen bikes...I ride an '05.

They also change the "angle" of the windshield throught out the travel of the adjustment. BTW, I have disabled me "auto-retract" so my 'shield stays where I set it when I turn off the key.

I'm just a touch over 6 ft and have the CB+4+4. All the way up I still get a little helmet buffett, but it largely depends on how I sit and speed. The spacers would probably reduce pressure behind the shield enough to put the flow over my helmet, I just haven't tried yet - maybe in this winter's teardown.

Bob

I'm just a touch over 6 ft and have the CB+4+4. All the way up I still get a little helmet buffett, but it largely depends on how I sit and speed. The spacers would probably reduce pressure behind the shield enough to put the flow over my helmet, I just haven't tried yet - maybe in this winter's teardown.Bob
The only way I can escape the minor speed buffet, using the CeeBailey in the up position, is to "scrunch down" or lean forward about 1"-2". As I said above, I don't have the problem with the CalSci, its dead still and silent BUT, because of the dead still....its HOT in the summer (I ride in 100+ temps), so I trade them back and forth.

Just finished a little 125 mile run around the neighborhood here in north Georgia with my new +4/+2 Cee Bailey and I can't say enough how much better it is. No buffeting, little back pressure if any and I rode without my earplugs all day. Only regret is I didn't buy one sooner.

Just finished a little 125 mile run around the neighborhood here in north Georgia with my new +4/+2 Cee Bailey and I can't say enough how much better it is. No buffeting, little back pressure if any and I rode without my earplugs all day. Only regret is I didn't buy one sooner.
Woof! Woof! Gunny Woof!!!

I've been thinking of getting the CB also. Frayne, if you don't mind my asking, how tall are you? I'm 5-10, and I'm guessing based on highly un-scientific scrunching exercises on the bike, that I only need about +2H. I was thinkg +2h +4W would do it. I'm on a Gen 2 if that matters.

Also, anybody in central or SW Ohio have a Cee Bailey with flip? I'd like to see one up close and personal before I part with the moolah.

And, what about the tints. good/bad??

thanks

Wildman

I've seen the thread where people have punched holes in their stock screens. Is this CB good enough without the holes or do you think it would benefit from the holes. I've also seen the reports from people who have the Vstream and one fellow indicated he gets a lot of head buffetting. Besides, the VS has a bit of a goofy look to it. Still can't decide if I should get the OEM tall screen and punch holes in it or get the CB.

Comments?

I'm 5'10", 175# and have a 32" inseam, could I have gotten away with only a 2" higher windscreen ? I don't know. All I can tell you there is a day and night difference between the stock 2005 windscreen vs the +4/2 reverse flip Cee Bailey.