New FJR Owner....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamie

Reaction score
Found a deal on an '07 FJR 1300 AE yesterday that I couldn't pass up....think I am going to really like this bike once I get a couple of things fixed up. My old hands can't take the small grips.. have ordered a pair of "Grip Puppies" to try. Has anyone tried the GenMar Handelbar Risers ... trying to get some of the pressure off my hands.... what little I have ridden this bike it's awesome......

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Hamie, and congratulations on the new ride.

I have the same bike, with grip puppies and the Gen-Mar risers. I also adjusted the bars to the rear position, and now have zero pressure on my wrists/hands while riding. Huge difference from stock.

The more you ride this bike, the bigger the grin gets. There will soon come a time, when your smile gets so wide that removal of your helmet seems impossible. There is no cure!!! :clapping:

I also have the Gen Mar risers and the Grip Puppies on my 08. I still have a little pressure on my wrists and hands with the bars in the rear most position. Wild72 must have longer arms than me.

GP

Thanks Wild72 and GPRider...

Think I will try the same setup.. wanted to keep all the orginal cables,etc... have any problem installing the riser?

Hamie

have any problem installing the riser?
It took me about 15 minutes in total to install both risers. Hardest part was cutting the wire retainer for the control cables, (which gets discarded), and even that was easy. No replacing or rerouting of original cables is required.

Installation instructions can be found here. Scroll down to the link on that page.

GP - Don't think my arms are out of proportion to the rest of my body. I'm 6'1". 185 lbs with a 34" inseam, and have not experienced my knuckles dragging on the pavement yet. I was never able to wrap them around my first wife, but then she was a bit of a whale. :derisive:

Hey Hamie, welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new bike! I came from a VTX 1800 to the FJR, and the difference in the ergonomics is intimidating at first, but you will grow into it. I also put on the grip puppies for about a month, and then took them off because the grips actually felt too large, especially with gloves on. It is VERY seldom I don't ride without gloves. You can find good gloves that aren't too hot in the summer. I also have the Gen-Mar risers, and they helped a lot too. I also installed a "throttle lock" from MADCO. I had one of these on my VTX. It does not look like an add on, and is a high quality unit made by a guy in a smaller shop. Bill at MADCO is very good to work with, and you can call him with any questions.

In addition to changing your bike, you may want to try and change your riding position. Here is a link to the Master Yoda Riding Position. If you practice the techniques in this write up, it makes a HUGE difference in comfort. You really have to concentrate on using the technique, but after a while, it will come second nature.

Thanks Bogus... I printed out a copy of the Master Yoda Riding Position and set on the bike with it... think it's going to work. Just need to condition myself some... think I will work with that for awhile then decide if I need to do anything else....Thanks again...

Ride safe....

Latest posts