new garmin mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just roy

Reaction score
got the new garmin and wanted to mount it someplace in view and out of the way. took a while and a lot of times taking the fairing off and on but in the end i am pleased with the location.

the mount. tabs are welded on as that was the easiest way to get the offset needed to clear the fairing.

laptopfirstload051.jpg

on the bike. screwed on to the instrument panel mount plate with 4 SHCS.

laptopfirstload053.jpg

view from the seat.

laptopfirstload055.jpg

from the front. mount is 1/8" 300 series stainless. tried to lighten it as much as possible.

laptopfirstload056.jpg

as usual if anyone has questions or would like more details just ask. if there is any interest i could do a cad drawing of the mount if given some time.

Nice spot for the GPS.

is it made of 304 SS?

That's a lot of work Kudos to you. It's nice to have your own machines to play with.

Dave

Looks schweet, Roy! Nicely done!

But how are ya gonna reach it when you have your tank bag stuffed with 2 midgets and the kitchen sink?

Very nice. I like my GPS up high like that so I can see it quickly. I would have no problem reaching up to touch the screen for a second. If I need more than one or two touches to perform a task I prefer to pull over.

Very nice, Roy. Great idea.

As others have said, you have found the best possible place for your GPS to live, without resorting to a mondo dash shelf. The bracket looks very substantial. How does it attach to the bike? Any good reason not to have made it from alloy or something lighter weight? Do you think there would be too much vibration on something less stout?

Maybe it's just me, but I think I prefer the stem-stand location. Right there in front, between the bars.

Of course if I was using a super tall tank bag that might be different, or if I was going to run a secondary GPS, that's where I'd want it.

Nice work though...

Maybe it's just me, but I think I prefer the stem-stand location. Right there in front, between the bars.
That's where I have my Zumo mounted now, via a stem nut ball on the longest (tallest) Ram Ball arm available. I do not like that I have to tip my head (helmet) down to see the GPS screen. I would prefer to have it up higher than the speedo so I don't lose sight of the road ahead even for an instant.

This may depend somewhat on a person's height in the saddle. I'm a tall sitting 6'2" (long torso, short legs) so my head is up pretty high.

That's where I have my Zumo mounted now, via a stem nut ball on the longest (tallest) Ram Ball arm available. I do not like that I have to tip my head (helmet) down to see the GPS screen. I would prefer to have it up higher than the speedo so I don't lose sight of the road ahead even for an instant.

This may depend somewhat on a person's height in the saddle. I'm a tall sitting 6'2" (long torso, short legs) so my head is up pretty high.
Gunny that Fred.

Bad news for me though. I went out to my bike to visualize the set up and it will not fit on my bike. I have a V-stream and am using some windshield spacers and there is no room between the shield and the instrument cluster for me to mount anything. Not sure if I will keep the spacers but I don't see that there is enough space to mount my Zumo up there regardless.

I still love the idea.

Excellent point and observation. I have a rifle tuning block and use that with all of my windshields, even the stock one, so that space is nearly non-existent.

For those of us keeping our dark ages 26xx's, I would guess Zip tying the tilt function to the mount would work.

In for one if you do it.

Sportster