New Garmin Zumo 390LM With Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mihalis fjr

Reaction score
Just i saw it..Interesting..!
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/motorcycles/zumo-390lm/prod138275.html

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod131744.html

And here is a post:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/autos/htauto-topstories/garmin-equips-motorcycle-gps-with-tire-pressure-sensors/article1-1160666.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Easily Monitor Tire Pressure

zūmo 390LM is compatible with our integrated Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor (sold separately). Add a TPMS sensor for each tire and easily monitor the pressure using your zūmo display. The system works with up to 4 tires in any configuration (not intended for automotive use). One TPMS sensor is required for each tire (sold separately; metal valve stems only).

That seems to be a nice GPS!!! Kinda stinks you have to buy the sensors separately and I would have to change my valve stems. It also says it will sync up to 4 sensors. But then it says not intended for automotive use. What's up with that??? What do they think I'm going to use it on, My bicycle?

zūmo 390LM is compatible with our integrated Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor (sold separately). Add a TPMS sensor for each tire and easily monitor the pressure using your zūmo display. The system works with up to 4 tires in any configuration (not intended for automotive use). One TPMS sensor is required for each tire (sold separately; metal valve stems only).

That seems to be a nice GPS!!! Kinda stinks you have to buy the sensors separately and I would have to change my valve stems. It also says it will sync up to 4 sensors. But then it says not intended for automotive use. What's up with that??? What do they think I'm going to use it on, My bicycle?
''not intended for automotive use''

Perhaps a fault writing..?!I really don't know...

I believe the only thing that you must do,is to buy these sensors and screw them in the valve stems..That's it...

''not intended for automotive use''Perhaps a fault writing..?!I really don't know...

I believe the only thing that you must do,is to buy these sensors and screw them in the valve stems..That's it...

They have to be programed to the GPS (easy to do) and cost $70 each (not $70 for two but EACH).

Curvey roads routing ?????

Additional Specs Trip Planner: yes

Trip Log: yes

Tire pressure monitor system: yes; individual sensors sold separately

Curvy Roads routing: yes

Power supplied to device power cable should be capable of up 12 V (typical) and up to 1 A. zūmo device power consumption is 5 V; 2 A.

This USB device is compatible with Windows® XP or newer and Mac® OS X 10.4 or later.

Multiple motorcycles. The gps is only capable of communicating with 2 sensors at a time. If you had 2 motorcycles you can program the unit for 4 sensors but it can only read two of them at one time.

''not intended for automotive use''Perhaps a fault writing..?!I really don't know...

They have to be program to the GPS (easy to do) and cost $70 each (not $70 for two but EACH).
Thanks for the detail info Wlfman!

If you look at the third link it says it will monitor up to 4 wheels at once.

Also the sensors are numbered 1 thru 4 and yet there is no way to buy any particular one.

I would think my purchase would be for all four.

I am sure that there are more than 4 unique TPMS sending units, otherwise it would get rather confusing when there were several Zumo 390 users in a pack.

This does look like an advancement (as compared to some other zumos), as the TPMS is a far more valuable feature than an MP3 player or audio book reader. When we see what the actual street prices are we'll see exactly how much more valuable it is.

The GPS sounds great, but I read the negative review on Revzilla and was turned off. It seems they forgot to include volume controls. I still think this unit is a step in the right direction for motorcycles, but I'll hold until I know this guy was wrong...FWIW, it sounds like typical Garmin customer service.

The Zumo 390Lm has a great screen and the exceptional Garmin features. However, the programers forgot to add the TOOL to Adjust the Volume applications to the device on the Volume Screen. Though listed in both the Garmin Quick Reference & Owners Manuals this feature was left off the 390LM. What does this mean. Your Zumo 390LM will beep every time you press it unless you place it on Mute. If you use the Bluetooth feature this will interupt all other attached Bluetooth devices again unless the device is muted. The Navigation Voice Blares out at you even on the lowest volume settings. Very Rider unfriendly device.
Per Garmin Automotive Support they have no intention of updating this device & plan to change the Manuals.

No mp3 player.... put the sensors on metal valve stems only. I'm not a fan of the Swiss army knife solutions, and I'll keep my old Zumo.

If you look at the third link it says it will monitor up to 4 wheels at once.Also the sensors are numbered 1 thru 4 and yet there is no way to buy any particular one.

I would think my purchase would be for all four.
They come with stickers that YOU apply. and they are $70 EACH. Don't believe me check with ANY Retailer

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-tire-pressure-monitor-sensor.html

Half way down the page.

"Note: This is only ONE sensor. For multiple wheels/tires you will need to purchase multiple sensors."

But hey I only own one so I wouldn't know what the hell I'm talking about...

I am sure that there are more than 4 unique TPMS sending units, otherwise it would get rather confusing when there were several Zumo 390 users in a pack.
This does look like an advancement (as compared to some other zumos), as the TPMS is a far more valuable feature than an MP3 player or audio book reader. When we see what the actual street prices are we'll see exactly how much more valuable it is.
Street price as of right now $700 and free shipping. Has been since it hit the market months ago. I doubt it will drop any time soon.

Why wouldn't the price come down some? All of their other GPSes do. Not from Garmin directly, but when their resellers get ahold of them. I've never paid the msrp on a Garmin GPS.

I have a new 390 on my bike now. I had a 550 and it only lasted 7+ years and about 175,000 miles.
smile.png

I bought mine from the GPS Store. With the TPMS package I basically got 1 monitor for free.

GA01186S Garmin Zumo 390LM Tire Pressure Monitor Bundle 1 $764.99 The TPMS can be used to monitor up to 4 tires. It can be used on trikes & MCs with trailers. The monitors are not numbered until you put the labels on them. They can be set up for any pressure you want. You set both the max and minimum pressures where YOU want them, not some percentage. It works very well and even graphs and records the pressure. It's also not intrusive on the GPS screen unless you have a low pressure. To check pressure you need to change to another screen.

I did not want to spend this much on a GPS but now I'm happy that I did. I don't do baggies so that was never an option. The unit works. Curvy roads seems to pick routes that I would normally choose (tested in the mountains). But here in south FL it does not do very much other than avoid interstates. I do not use the bluetooth features or do I listen to the GPS so I have no comments about them, but there is an audio out jack on the unit.

I hope my 390 lasts as long or longer than my old 550. If it does I'll consider it worth the price. If not, what choice did I really have?

I did buy a new TomTom Rider just before getting the 390. Used it on 1 ride and sent it back. I thought it was a major POS. The interface was hard to work with and it did not even want to follow a simple route that I created. Even at half the cost of the 390 it was $400 overpriced.

I have a new 390 on my bike now. I had a 550 and it only lasted 7+ years and about 175,000 miles.
smile.png

I bought mine from the GPS Store. With the TPMS package I basically got 1 monitor for free.

GA01186S Garmin Zumo 390LM Tire Pressure Monitor Bundle 1 $764.99 The TPMS can be used to monitor up to 4 tires. It can be used on trikes & MCs with trailers. The monitors are not numbered until you put the labels on them. They can be set up for any pressure you want. You set both the max and minimum pressures where YOU want them, not some percentage. It works very well and even graphs and records the pressure. It's also not intrusive on the GPS screen unless you have a low pressure. To check pressure you need to change to another screen.

I did not want to spend this much on a GPS but now I'm happy that I did. I don't do baggies so that was never an option. The unit works. Curvy roads seems to pick routes that I would normally choose (tested in the mountains). But here in south FL it does not do very much other than avoid interstates. I do not use the bluetooth features or do I listen to the GPS so I have no comments about them, but there is an audio out jack on the unit.

I hope my 390 lasts as long or longer than my old 550. If it does I'll consider it worth the price. If not, what choice did I really have?

I did buy a new TomTom Rider just before getting the 390. Used it on 1 ride and sent it back. I thought it was a major POS. The interface was hard to work with and it did not even want to follow a simple route that I created. Even at half the cost of the 390 it was $400 overpriced.
Thanks for the detailed information!!

Latest posts