• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

NEW GPS for motorcycle from Garmin Again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04FJR4ME

Reaction score
Sorry guys, Garmin just keep coming up with newer and better models of GPS systems, it is killing me too since I buy these units just like you guys do and I can't even keep pace with these guys. Every 4 months or less they come out withsomething new, so if we all wait till 2020, we should be flying with our latest GPS devices instead of being on the road.

Here is the info and this product is protected under Garmin MRP policy, so if anyone sells for less than the MRP price, they will no longer be an authorized Garmin dealer. So don't save pennies to find out that your product will not have any support from Garmin. Buy from your local authorized GPS dealer and if you don't have one near you, we will be happy to save you the tax and sell you one at MRP price and hold one for you. :D ;)

Customize your ride with zumo™ 550. Born to run, built to last, this rugged GPS navigator is always ready to ride. Designed by bikers, zumo’s motorcycle-friendly features make it easy to operate while in the saddle. From back roads to rallies, its preloaded maps and high-end navigation features give you the freedom to go where you want.

Operate Easily on Two Wheels

Durable and intuitive, zumo is built specifically for motorcycles:

Glove-friendly touch screen with left-handed controls makes it easy to operate

High bright sunlight-readable, UV-resistant display makes it easy to view your screen

Motorcycle console for trip information, including fuel gauge to warn you when its time to fill up

Motorcycle mount with universal mounting hardware so you can mount it anywhere

Included motorcycle mount and automotive mount (with integrated speaker) for riding or driving

Custom caps, available in a variety of colors, to reflect your style

Vibration-tested, waterproof and built with fuel-resistant plastics to withstand the elements

Navigate the Open Road

zumo 550 comes ready to go right out of the box with preloaded City Navigator® NT street maps and a hefty points of interest (POIs) database, including motels, restaurants, fuel, ATMs and more. Simply enter a destination, and zumo takes you there with turn-by-turn voice directions that speak street names. In addition, zumo accepts customized points of interest such as school zones and safety cameras and includes proximity alerts to warn of upcoming POIs. It is also compatible with Garmin's Tour Guide™ — a free utility that allows you to build and upload a database of POIs that are encoded with photos and MP3 files.

A rechargeable, removable lithium-ion battery (three hour typical use) is integrated into zumo for trip planning or use on foot. In addition, zumo even accepts electronic maps — making it the ultimate off-road navigator.

Add Optional Traffic, Weather, and Radio

With optional XM subscriptions and an XM antenna, you can check the weather, move ahead of traffic and listen to the radio when you travel with zumo. As an alternative, zumo can receive optional TMC traffic alerts (in select cities) when used with a compatible traffic receiver. Simply press a button on the screen, and zumo recalculates your route to avoid traffic tie-ups.

Make Hands-Free Calls and Receive Wireless Voice Prompts

With zumo’s Bluetooth® wireless technology, you can talk on the phone safely without removing your gloves or helmet. Connect zumo to your Bluetooth-enabled headset/helmet and cell phone to make and receive hands-free calls. You can even make phone calls to POIs through zumo’s Bluetooth interface. In addition, zumo transmits navigation voice prompts to your headset so you can listen wirelessly.

Plan Your Adventures and Share Your Rides

zumo 550 makes it easy to plan your next trip and share routes with your riding buddies. Plan trips on your computer before you start. Search for food and fuel stops and local attractions. Then, transfer your route to zumo and go.

At the end of the day, share your favorite places and rides with other zumo riders, and review your travels in Google™ Earth. SD card expansion makes it easy for storage and route sharing. Download routes to share with your riding buddies — even load mp3 files to your unit to enjoy tunes on the road. In addition, JPEG Picture Viewer lets you share photos of your adventures with friends and family.

zumo 550: the navigator that's born to ride

Garmin part number: 010-00567-00

Suggested Retail Price:

$1076.91 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only)

$999.00 your MRP cost.

Expected Availability: Pre order now

Fourth Quarter

zumo 550 features: High-sensitivity GPS receiver

Display: 2.8” W x 2.1” H (3.5” diag.), 320 x 240 pixels; high bright sunlight-readable, UV-resistant, touch screen display

Unit dimensions: 4.8" W x 3.9" H x 1.6" D

Weight: 10.6 ounces

Removable lithium-ion battery; three hour typical use

Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free calling and navigation audio prompts

Supports optional FM TMC traffic alerts

Supports optional XM NavTraffic with XM weather, and XM Satellite Radio

Preloaded maps for all of North America or Europe

Voice announces streets by name

Look up addresses and points of interest

Choose 2D or 3D map perspective

Upload custom POIs, including alerts for speed zones and safety cameras

Built-in MP3 player and JPEG Picture Viewer

SD card expansion makes it easy for storage and route sharing

Export and review your travels in Google™ Earth with a free account from MotionBased.com

Glove-friendly touch screen with left-handed controls makes it easy to operate

Sunlight-readable, UV-resistant display makes it easy to view your screen

Motorcycle console for trip information, including fuel gauge to warn you when its time to fill up

Motorcycle mount with standard 4-hole AMPS pattern so you can mount it anywhere

Included motorcycle mount for riding and automotive mount (with integrated speaker) for driving

Includes Garmin Lock™, an anti-theft feature

Custom caps, available in a variety of colors, to reflect your style

Waterproof: IEC 60529 IPX7 standards

James,

Do you think that this is the form factor that they'll push to replace the Streetpilot series?

www.garmin.com/products/zumo/

Nice to see Garmin has figured out that GPS controls are better suited to the left side of the unit. :D

I'm not even going there. :p

pt-zumocf-lg.jpg

Sweeet! Now I can pick up a good used 2730 pretty right later this fall. I think we need two, now that we finally have one.

James,

Can you tell us anything about this feature?

Includes Garmin Lock™, an anti-theft feature

Is this something new, or just the same old security screw I have on my 2730 cradle?

Link

Sounds like it might be different.

Maybe ability to lock the unit with a password or key-code (like a PDA or cellphone)

Update:

Found this by a google search

Garmin Lock™ – anti-theft feature that disables the unit from performing any functions until you type in a specific 4-digit PIN or take the unit to a predetermined location.

I get the 4-digit PIN, but a predetermined location??

"I command you to not turn on and function unless you are in the Denny's parking lot at 4th & Orange Ave." :blink:

I get the 4-digit PIN, but a predetermined location??"I command you to not turn on and function unless you are in the Denny's parking lot at 4th & Orange Ave." :blink:
Probably from the location you've designated as "Home"...

I get the 4-digit PIN, but a predetermined location??

"I command you to not turn on and function unless you are in the Denny's parking lot at 4th & Orange Ave." :blink:
Probably from the location you've designated as "Home"...
How much would that suck if you were on a road trip & your forgot your PIN?

Hang on a second, I have to drive home so I can turn on my GPS.

Sounds interesting.

I would be more interested in Garmin offering to tell you the GPS coordinates if/when it is stolen.

So you can go right to the thiefs house and get it back :)

I'm not sure how effective the Garmin Lock feature would be. For the most part, whatever scumbag that steals the unit ain't gonna find out about it until it's too late.

Neat feature, but I am skeptical as to it's theft prevention effectiveness.

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a 2730 a couple of months ago. It's wonderful, but I had two complaints. It doesn't have an external card that I can use to listen to unlimited MP3 lists. And, the bottons are on the right side...a pain to access while on the move. Both are address on this new one!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Wow. When I decided not to get the TomTom Rider nor the Garmin 2730, this is exactly what I was waiting for. SiRF receiver and all the traffic features that don't work on the TomTom in the US. All that plus Bluetooth. I'm going to have to contact you for one of these.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

Jim

This looks nice! Do you have to purchase another antennae to get the XM radio or is it included? I didn't see one listed as an accessory on the website.

This looks nice! Do you have to purchase another antennae to get the XM radio or is it included? I didn't see one listed as an accessory on the website.

Good question. If not included, that's a pricey accessory and one of the good things about the 2730 where it's included.

Boy, I work in the computer industry and thought we killed our young fast but the is really crazy

I also dabble in the stock market. About a year ago I saw Garmins stock was about $44 and thought" I would'nt touch that stock with a ten foot pole, too many products, not enough market segment focus, products come out too fast"

Well don't take a stock tip from me. Yesterday it was at $99 and here we are with about 20 more products company wide than last year.

Good thing I still have my day job!

XM antenna is NOT included.

Costs about $200-250

Only the 2730 comes with the XM antenna

Link (bottom of chart)

But...the Zumo & 2820 (bluetooth units) can use an antenna other than the GXM-30 for traffic only if you don't care about XM radio.

GTM-10, GTM-12, GTM-20 (Zumo only)

All appear to come with a little more than a year of traffic service ($60/yr after that)

The confusing part is one page shows the new Zumo does work with the GXM-30, the other shows it does NOT.

Does NOT work

Does work

Could be the webmaster screwed up the new page, or more to follow, or???

Either way, hard to determine what/where/how on the Garmin site at times.

I'm often guessing or often confused with much of their information.

I for one will be happy with the 2730 for quite some time.

Does everything I need it to do, and then some. :)

XM antenna is NOT included.Costs about $200-250

Only the 2730 comes with the XM antenna

Link (bottom of chart)

But...the Zumo & 2820 (bluetooth units) can use an antenna other than the GXM-30 for traffic only if you don't care about XM radio.

GTM-10, GTM-12, GTM-20 (Zumo only)

All appear to come with a little more than a year of traffic service ($60/yr after that)

The confusing part is one page shows the new Zumo does work with the GXM-30, the other shows it does NOT.

Does NOT work

Does work

Could be the webmaster screwed up the new page, or more to follow, or???

Either way, hard to determine what/where/how on the Garmin site at times.

I'm often guessing or often confused with much of their information.

I for one will be happy with the 2730 for quite some time.

Does everything I need it to do, and then some. :)

WOW, to many questions to answer!

Please send your questions to Rick at A U T O N A V 2 0 0 0 at A O L . C O M

Guys, if you don't know what MRP means, you should really look into it. Garmin do not mess around. I can offer great prices for forum members except anything with a MRP on it. These must be sold at full price or Garmin just don't ship your units that you order in the future.

NO KIDDING!

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, this "MRP" program walks pretty close to the edge on illegal price fixing laws.
I would expect to see the MRP on it get dropped by Garmin once that the Major Retail Outlets have taken delivery and sold the initial units at their inflated prices, as they are appear to be the ones really behind this MRP program, and not Garmin.

I am still waiting to find out if Doppler Weather images will be available on the Zumo, but my guess is that they will NOT be. If you want REAL weather data, you probably will have to stick with the 376c.
The GPSMAP 376C,378 and 478 has the option of:

Up-to-date Weather

See real-time weather displayed on the 378’s high-resolution 256-color sunlight-readable TFT display with the purchase of the GXM 30 antenna (sold separately) and subscription to XM WX Satellite Weather. View vital weather data, such as NEXRAD radar, storm cells, wind speeds, surface temperatures, forecasts and more than a dozen other weather attributes directly on the unit’s display — so you can spend more time enjoying the water and less time worrying about the weather.

The Zumo 550 has the option of:

Add Optional Traffic, Weather, and Radio

With optional XM subscriptions and an XM antenna, you can check the weather, move ahead of traffic and listen to the radio when you travel with zūmo. As an alternative, zūmo can receive optional TMC traffic alerts (in select cities) when used with a compatible traffic receiver. Simply press a button on the screen, and zūmo recalculates your route to avoid traffic tie-ups.

The Doppler weather features you are asking for Fred is is part of the XM WX Satellite Weather and is only available on Marine or Aviation products like the GPSMAP series like the 376C, 378, 478, it's not available Automotive Products like the Zumo 550, Nuvi or StreetPilot units that use the same GXM 30 Smart antenna for Traffic & Satellite Radio.

See chart below: Garmin weather chart

Marine Products XM Receiver/antenna Traffic* Weather Radio

GPSMAP® 3005C GDL 30/30A (GDL 30A only)

GPSMAP 3006C GDL 30/30A (GDL 30A only)

GPSMAP 3010C GDL 30/30A (GDL 30A only)

GPSMAP 3205C GDL 30/30A (GDL 30A only)

GPSMAP 3206C GDL 30/30A (GDL 30A only)

GPSMAP 3210C GDL 30/30A (GDL 30A only)

GPSMAP 376C GXM 30 (included)

GPSMAP 378 GXM 30

GPSMAP 478 GXM 30

Aviation Products XM Receiver/antenna Traffic* Weather Radio

GPSMAP 496 GXM 30A (included)

GPSMAP 396 GXM 30 (included)

GPS 400 GDL 69/69A (GDL 69A only)

GPS 500 GDL 69/69A (GDL 69A only)

GNC® 420 GDL 69/69A (GDL 69A only)

GNS™ 430/430A GDL 69/69A (GDL 69A only)

GNS 530/530A GDL 69/69A (GDL 69A only)

MX20 GDL 69/69A (GDL 69A only)

GMX™ 200 GDL 69/69A (GDL 69A only)

G1000® GDL 69/69A (GDL 69A only)

Automotive Products XM Receiver/antenna Traffic* Weather Radio

StreetPilot® 2730 GXM 30 (included)

StreetPilot 7200 GXM 30

StreetPilot 7500 GXM 30

StreetPilot 2820 GXM 30

zūmo 550™ GXM 30

As far as the MRP program, it is one of the last sucessful program offer by Garmin that is keeping smaller Brick and Mortar store in business. DON'T GET ME STARTED! But without these program, you will have no one to help you when you need a question such as this answered. Ask your internet gray market dealer or worst Camera and PC stores that discount the heck out of a product in the name of moving a box to answer your questions!

Sad to say, eveyone feels they are worth more, or should be pay more and earn more, but when it comes to someone else making a fair living, it is always the double standard of finding the cheapest price after you have receive the full service! I have cusotmers that comes in and take up an hour of our time to research what products is right for them only to ask us to match Internet prices because we have GIVEN them our knowledge already! I guess I can go to a 5 star restaurant and order a steak that cost $29.99, and after eating it asking the restaurant to match the $5.99 steak specail at a greases spoon restaurant that is less than a one star and offer no service! I normally tell them to have a nice day and good luck!