New grips....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapskate2

Reaction score
What aftermarket grips are you putting on your bikes? I'm looking for a little larger diameter than the stock, and was considering maybe a gel type to try to help with the 4K buzz? I'm not running heated grips.

I put on Honda grips and have no plans of changing again. If course they are heated grips B)

another vote for grip puppies over the stock grips.

grip puppies and a throttle rocker allow me to keep a loose grip and I don't feel a 4k buzz.

I also have gel palm gloves that I sometimes wear but really even with my plain leather gloves I don't feel a buzz.

I have used a set of grip puppies for the last 400 miles and IMHO alot better than the stock. I have factory heated grips and throttlemeister. This combination works well for me. :D I got them from this website and for under 10.00. https://www.casporttouring.com/optimizer/product/GPSMALL.html

IMG_1769.jpg

I went with the BMW grips and they are great! I found the part #'s on the forum then went to my local BMW Dealership. The guy at BMW was damn good; he'd read this forum and knew his grips would fit. He allready knew the part #'s and ordered me a pair. Dont remember what they cost but it was cheap and they are awesome!

For installation the hairspray worked on one side but I had a little trouble on the other side so I put some water in a pyrex glass bowl and heated it in the microwave. Put the grip in the hot water for a minute; heated and expanded the rubber. Quick dry w/towel; apply hairspray and it slipped right on. I waited overnight for it to cool and the spray to dry. It worked super well. I got the heat idea from my Hogue rubber grips for my Glock!

For installation the hairspray worked on one side but I had a little trouble on the other side so I put some water in a pyrex glass bowl and heated it in the microwave. Put the grip in the hot water for a minute; heated and expanded the rubber. Quick dry w/towel; apply hairspray and it slipped right on. I waited overnight for it to cool and the spray to dry. It worked super well. I got the heat idea from my Hogue rubber grips for my Glock!
While hair spray has been used for many years for installing hand grips if they get soaked in the rain they will slip right off or slip when you twist.

Last edited by a moderator:
While hair spray has been used for many years for installing hand grips if they get soaked in the rain they will slip right off or slip when you twist.
I must disagree. I've been using hair spray for years to install grips. Not only do they slide on easy, when the chemicals evaporate, it's like glue. I've ridden in a lot of toad chokers, over many years, and have never had a grip slip. My bikes have sat outside in the rain for years as well, since I didn't have a carport or garage.

I have a carport now BTW, and working on a full fledged 2 car garage B)

I started using Grip Puppies when I first bought my FJR and installed the G2 throttle tube and a throttlemeister throttle lock. Ive not experienced any vibration problems but the diameter is a little large for my liking. Having ridden BMW's for many years, I plan on changing the grips to the old BMW standard.

I've used non-airosol hair spray on grips for years with no problems, rain or shine.

OBD

I must disagree. I've been using hair spray for years to install grips. Not only do they slide on easy, when the chemicals evaporate, it's like glue. I've ridden in a lot of toad chokers, over many years, and have never had a grip slip. My bikes have sat outside in the rain for years as well, since I didn't have a carport or garage.
Think about it. If water didn't dissolve hair spray girls would be spraying glue on their heads. Do a test, let it dry and put water on it. Turns very slippery before it completely goes away.

Grip puppies! Man was I missing them for the first 200 miles. Slide mine on with watered down dish soap 50/50ish. Install in less than a minute, and haven't moved since. It's been raining here for 4 days, and I've only not road one of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think about it. If water didn't dissolve hair spray girls would be spraying glue on their heads. Do a test, let it dry and put water on it. Turns very slippery before it completely goes away.

Sure McGoose, your "Think about it." vs. Silent's "years" of experience. I bet you convince him. :dribble:

Sure McGoose, your "Think about it." vs. Silent's "years" of experience. I bet you convince him. :dribble:
I started riding on the back of friends bikes around '65. I have been reading motorcycle magazines since '66. I have owned 62 motorcycles since '71. I had to wait to move out of my parents house to buy one. I have read twice where people have had a serious slipping problem with hair spray and have read other people warn against using hair spray on grips. Just trying to help.

arguing_on_internet.jpg

So I'm not going to argue, neither should anyone else on my behalf :p I do not claim to be an expert on anything.

Experiences are different everywhere. Some will have problems with the FJR's faulty kickstand, some won't. Some grips will probably slip with hair spray, mine never have.

Remember, opinions are like @ss holes. everyones got one, and all of em stink :p