New Hand grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliick2

Reaction score
Hello Friends, Just thought I would pass on a trick that made my life easier.Recently purchased a set

of Pro-Grips & when I openened the box I realized that I was going to have to cut the outside end for

the bar end weight.Well I found a 8" peice of rigid copper pipe( the kind for household water lines) &

with my trusty "Dremel Tool" & a 1/2" diameter sanding drum attachment,I carefully beveled the inside of the copper pipe at something like a 45 degrees.Then made sure that it had no burrs. Now

I was ready to stick the beveled end into the hand grip until it contacted the inside of the closed end.

I found a junk piece of 2x4 & set the hand grip on it-with a sharpe blow of a hammer or mallet,it made a nice clean hole for the bar end weight. I understand that one grip is a little bigger than the other,but in my case it came out great-no trimming.The whole R & R took about a half hour. Plus,now

I have the tool to do other grips as needed ! Hope this helps

I've been using your invention for about 15 years now. I made my newest set (yes, left and right) from a trashed set of Renthal dirtbike bars. 10" long, and beveled on my lathe to an edge so sharp it would prolly go in one side of you and out the back! :lol:

I also cut the left bar down slightly so it makes the hole just a little smaller. Fits much tighter on the bar that way. Not to mention it slides in and out of the left side 7/8 grip much easier.

Believe it or not, a 70 yr old ex enduro rider showed me that trick back then. We go through a lot of grips on the dirtbikes, and the ends always have to be opened up for the aluminum handguards.

NOTE> If anyone else want to make a set like this, bevel the INSIDE of the pipe, NOT the outside!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a grommet kit to put holes in tarps to install a new grommet for tie down.

That works pretty good as well... or you can just shoot a hole in the end with - say... 45cal pistol.