New Headlights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afast03nNJ

Reaction score
Just put the Osram Night Breakers in. Not sure why everybody complains about the rubber boots, it was a piece of cake.

They definately have a cleaner light in my garage. Now if this rain would stop I'll really test them out on the dark back roads up by me.

Just put the Osram Night Breakers in. Not sure why everybody complains about the rubber boots, it was a piece of cake.They definately have a cleaner light in my garage. Now if this rain would stop I'll really test them out on the dark back roads up by me.
Carry spares, they don't last long. I've gone back to plain old everyday Halogens. The 3 sets of Phillips/Osram's I went through in one season was just to much $$$ to justify.

sounds like the perfect environment in which to properly test them!

who puts their FJR because of rain? anything less than 30mph gusting crosswinds and 4 inch standing water and it's a good day to ride! :) That's what that two channel linked ABS is for!

Just put the Osram Night Breakers in. Not sure why everybody complains about the rubber boots, it was a piece of cake.They definately have a cleaner light in my garage. Now if this rain would stop I'll really test them out on the dark back roads up by me.

I gotta chime in here - I put the Sylvania bulbs in on Jun 16 this year and one burned out a week ago. I don't care how much light they put out, two months is unsat! I'm buying two regular bulbs (which lasted 5+ years) and will replace the "flash in the pan" bulbs. Your experience may differ, but I'm done with the "magic" bulbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta chime in here - I put the Sylvania bulbs in on Jun 16 this year and one burned out a week ago. I don't care how much light they put out, two months is unsat! I'm buying two regular bulbs (which lasted 5+ years) and will replace the "flash in the pan" bulbs. Your experience may differ, but I'm done with the "magic" bulbs.
I had the same experience. Didn't think the light output (while it lasted) was all that great either.

I've got some Hella bulbs that weren't as expensive as the sylvania/phillips/osram/PIAA and others. So far they seem to be brighter than the stock bulbs (which I carry, given other's experience with these 'hotter' bulbs). I put them on in June prior to heading east for CFR, and they haven't burned out yet (although it's still early days). Time will tell I guess.

Griff

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember that if you get ANYTHING on the glass of the bulb without cleaning it off with some denatured alcohol it will kill the bulb. It can be a PITA getting the bulbs in without touching the glass.

I put in the latest greatest Silverstars last fall-much whiter brighter and longer light pattern, and 6K and almost a year later they are still lit..Think I paid $38 at Advance. Even if I have to replace them now I'm happy as the light is noticeably better and the forest rats are thick.

Seems to me that the only headlamp upgrade that is really worth doing, from a cost benefits analysis standpoint, is to go to telescopic HIDs. But my last headlamp bucket (that got replaced courtesy of a misguided ruminant) had the reflector partially damaged by the additional heat from running the HIDs.

So, for now, I'm sticking with the stock halogen headlamps in my new bucket, even though I have my full HID system sitting in a box on my desk, staring at me every day, taunting me.

IMO, they FJR halogens are actually pretty good as stock headlamps go...