New helmut design - Schuberth

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I debated on getting one of those with the retractable shield. Until I read somewhere that it leaked in the rain...so it was out. Cool concept though and I hope to see it in some more helmets in the future. I wonder if it warps your vision though.

Caberg

mono-x2-side.jpg

can't find one in the US -- googling says shuberth didn't get a DOT approval... so maybe only avail in other countries.

a neat idea!

There was a helmet at the cycle show that had an internal sun visor that would retract up under the helmet crown. I can't remember the brand but it is a great idea. I almost bought one but had already ordered a new Scorpion helmet just prior to the show.

The Schuberth C1& C2 both have retractable visors and are widely available.

I have a used C1 I should sell.

Clicky for pickies
Interesting concept. I particularly like the retractable sun shield.... Now that's cool !!

I have a Caberg helmet (Italian) with a retractable sun shield and the chin bar that flips up.

It works very well, sun shield easy to flip up and down, I even bought the blue tinted optional inside visor. (But never installed it)

I can guarantee it does not leak. rode thru a very heavy downpour in downtown Des Moines, I dont' think it fogged up. dont' remember exactally, I was trying too hard to watch the taillights of the cages playing splash with the semi's in 70+ traffic ...<G>

Wore it on that one trip because I thought it would be easier to flip the chin bar up and down than take the whole thing off, but I usually took it off anyway. Mostly cause it's a pain to wear it to the bathroom <BG>. Anyway, it's for sale. think it's a medium, silver. I'll have to take a pic and post it appropiately...

Mary

I've been using a Schuberth C-2 flip-up model for a couple of years. Aside from their reputation for making a quality product, the main reason I got one was the movable tinted screen feature. It works great....negates the need to fuss with sunglasses. I've ridden in ferocious rains and this helmet stays as dry as a bone.

Schuberth likes to tout their helmets as being extremely quiet. I find them to be average in this regard...perhaps their non-flip-up model, the S-2, is quieter. It is imperative that you try a Schuberth on before buying one. They are designed with a rounder head shape in mind and those with a thinner face will not like the fit.

Overall, it's the best helmet I've ever used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I debated on getting one of those with the retractable shield. Until I read somewhere that it leaked in the rain...so it was out. Cool concept though and I hope to see it in some more helmets in the future. I wonder if it warps your vision though.
Caberg

mono-x2-side.jpg
Mine hasn't leaked rain. It's good in weather.

Anyone worn this with eyeglasses? Did the glasses get in the way of the visor?
No, the shaded visor doesn't hit my glasses. Not even close.

That said, the new design is fugly, The Schuberth visor is expensive enough without going to that huge monstrosity. I wonder how much its replacement shield is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried on the Caberge Justissimo at the Atlanta Show last year, I am glad I did before I bought one. I found the stitch patter across the ear very irritating and the C2 schubet just did not sit my head shape.

I can't mention the maker of the helmet, but they are to be coming out with a full-face lid with the retractable sun shade in the very near future. This will NOT be in a flip-up style though.