New HJC Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddog

Reaction score
I'm looking for a replacement for my Scorpion 700 and noticed a few new HJC models have integral sun visors. Has anyone used one of these helmets? What did you think?

There is a review on YouTube by WebBikeWorld for the FS-10 and they generally didn't like the helmet. I'll probably stop by Chaparral this week to see if they have any in stock to take a look at. I suspect that the review by WebBikeWorld may be correct and the tint of the sun visor is inadequate.

TIA

Larry

P.S. I'm looking to replace the Scorpion because it is a POS - quality-wise.

I'm looking for a replacement for my Scorpion 700 and noticed a few new HJC models have integral sun visors. Has anyone used one of these helmets? What did you think?
There is a review on YouTube by WebBikeWorld for the FS-10 and they generally didn't like the helmet. I'll probably stop by Chaparral this week to see if they have any in stock to take a look at. I suspect that the review by WebBikeWorld may be correct and the tint of the sun visor is inadequate.

TIA

Larry

P.S. I'm looking to replace the Scorpion because it is a POS - quality-wise.
I have an FS-10 and like it, but the tint is too light. I'm hoping they come out with a darker replacement.

I have an AC-12 that fits like it was cast on my head, and I've successfully crash tested it with no ill effect to my noggin.

DSC02739sm.jpg

It's Snell-rated, and motodepot.com has a really good price. You have to email them for the promo code, but it knocks a few bucks off their published price.

I replaced it with another one with my insurance money. I figure no pain from a faceplant, it's a good lid.

I like that the interior panels come out and are washable, and my Bluetooth headset wires hide under them to make a nice clean fit.

I also agree about HJC fitment & crash-worthiness. Never had the ones with the sunshade... but if I were looking for a middle of the road (pricewise) lid w/o a flip-face, HJC is what I'd buy.

Do you have a Cycle Gear store near you? They carry a small boatload of brands. Bet they'd have the one that you speak of so that you can see for yourself.

Unless you always ride with the wind screen up or have an oversized shield; stay away from the HJC Symax (flip up). It has a very hi pitched whistle caused by the turbulence of FJR stock shield.

Unless you always ride with the wind screen up or have an oversized shield; stay away from the HJC Symax (flip up). It has a very hi pitched whistle caused by the turbulence of FJR stock shield.
I used to own one & ride with the stock shield all summer/spring. I never experienced any whistling. The reason that I moved away from the Symax was the fact that it had plastic tabs to fasten the face shield as opposed to the Shoei Multiteck that I purchased that has metal tabs to fasten the face shield.

Judging by the helmets that I've tried in the past, the HJC's are a good bang for the buck, for sure. If that sunshield is indeed dark enough for you & it does fit well, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking at the HJC flip-up to replace my Schuberth (shoe-bert) C2 that's it's too noisy on the FJR, at least for me. But the one thing that I do love about the C2 is the sun-visor. It sounds like others here are thinking of using the visor in place of sunglasses. I don't, and instead use the visor for when the sun it directly in front of me. I also use it for when the sun is in front and over me because it helps keep the inside of the helmet cool. Transition time from night to morning is also good for it until I put sunglasses on. But I always wear sunglasses in the day. The optics of looking through both the tinted sun-visor and the clear face-shield are just not adequate.

As mentioned in the

the bummer about the HJC sun-visor mechanism is that it's either up or down, no in-between. The C2 allows an infinite adjustment.
Is it possible to have it all??

FWIW, I looked at the FS-10 and Scorpion EXO 1000. The FS10 sun visor mechanism felt cheap and flimsy compared to the 1000. Ended up going with the Scorpion partly because of that. Little did I know at the time...

Thanks for all of the replies. It is starting to seem to me that I need to go back to Shoei (and forget about the integral sun visor). I bought a KBC VR1 when I picked up my FJR and it held up okay for three years but I could always tell the quality was just so-so. Still I didn't have any problems.

I saw several Board members buying the Scorpion helmets and I thought for the price I couldn't go wrong. Well, generally speaking I like the EXO700 but the shield mechanism is a POS. I change shields almost everyday I ride and the Scorpion is an unspeakable Chinese torture inflected on unwary buyers (at least in my case). So it's gotta go. Many people are happy with their Scorpions so don't let my experience scare anyone away from them.

Larry

Hmmm...and I was considering the EXO1000 just for the flip-down sunshade. My Suomy is a major PITA to change shields on. And I *hate* having to always carry the other shield or change it when I want to go ride at night.

Not to threadjack or anything, but I might consider a new Icon. Love some of their graphics, but if they could maybe incorporate one of those flip-down shades? That might be allright.

I also have a FS-10, and I also like it. The shield seems flimsy because of the realitively light mechanics involved.

Just tap the top of you helmet and it retracts quickly. It also has nice ear pockets for my PRYME SPM-802F speakers

attached to My Yaesu VX-5 tranceiver for bike to bike communications with my ham riding buddies.

I just ordered the GMAX GM68S "crusader" model based in large part on the writeup on webbikeworld.com, which named it their 2007 helmet of the year (and only $108):

Webbikeworld.com evaluation

I have a prescription "sport" pair of sunglasses that are pricey, but work very well, and easier to carry and swap on and off than a shield (IMHO) with the straight arms on the glasses. Optically, I prefer the quality of good sunglasses after years of trial and error; though I see the advantage of flipping a sun visor down quickly when exiting a tunnel or getting some glare, etc.

I have had 20K miles using GMAX flip-up helmets (two of the same model), which are noisy but comfy and reasonable. After a lot of thinking, I need to go back to a full face helmet after reading and evaluating the pros and cons of flip-up's

Another old trick is to have a strip of 1 inch painter's tape somewhere on the bike (for instance inside the FJR side bag, or inside a tankbag) and if you want a bit of cover from the glare, put the strip along the top of your shield, with the corner tucked into itself for easier gripping with a gloved hand. When you want it off just tug. No real glue residue issues......

Not fancy, but it works.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I have given these subjects some thought, and felt I'd share, since peeps are talking helmets and sun blocking strategies.

P.S. I tried on a couple HJC and KBC helmets today at a dealership and found they run small compared to GMAX, and even smaller than a Bell I bought cheap on sale for a try at drag-racing. YMMV

Hmmm...and I was considering the EXO1000 just for the flip-down sunshade. My Suomy is a major PITA to change shields on. And I *hate* having to always carry the other shield or change it when I want to go ride at night.
Don't want to give too much of a bad impression on the EXO1000. It is a reasonably good helmet, but it does have issues. The sun visor is one of the better ones I've seen, good feel, easy to use, solid mechanism.

The noise is an issue that require earplugs, even on a short ride. Also, if I do forget the plugs, I hear a creaking sound when I turn my head to the right (WTF?! pads moving?). I had also noticed two small white specs on my shiny new black helmet that either turned out to be flaking paint or two missed spots in the paint process. Prolly the latter, but not acceptable.

My apologies for the jack. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

HJC AC-12 gets :thumbsup: :thumbsup: from me. I own four of them (me, GF, kids, spare). I've never crashed an HJC into the pavement but I've smacked a gazillion of their dirt helmets into the ground, trees, rocks etc. Best bang for the buck IMO (pardon the pun). :)

HJC has a progressive tint shield available now that is okay, not great. The darker tint near the top is not as dark as I'd like, and the lighter area extends a little low for my taste. It has worked for me so far as that ever so illusive single shield without sunglasses solution.

I just read the other post about the Akuma helmets with the "Tint-on-demand"; that looks very interesting. I'm going to wait on a replacement until I can take a look at these.

I have an old CL-12 HJC helmet that I LOVE! I need to replace it so this thread is what I needed. ANd I use a tinted sheild and change when I have to and the HJC is EASY to change. Hope the new ones are that way.

Tom