New in-helmet speaker design

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The external black box for power supply, blue tooth, sound controller, etc. makes it a non-starter for me ... if they develop the product further so that the black box components "disappear" into the wrap it would be more interesting. Otherwise I have plenty of room in my helmet shell for conventional speakers, and my Sena unit is nicely mounted on the outside of the shell where I can reach the controls while riding.

Riona, what model Sena are you using? I've been looking at them and leaning toward the SMH10R which should mount nicely on my Nolan N-104. Road with a small group on the 20th and a couple of them had Sena units and both reported being very happy with them.

More money to spend.

I am looking at the Sena too. Not sure if the 10 or the 10R. I have read that the 10R is harder to manipulate and has had some issues. I am leaning towards the tried and true SMH-10.

I like that headband idea, but it needs everything incorporated into it. If I have to have a wire running out of my helmet, might as well just use headphones.

Dennis and Kevin:

The OP from Spud was about a different subject. Let's not hijack the thread here. Ship off a PM to Riona, post up on one of the Sena threads or start a new one if'n ya's wanna know about Senas.

Dennis and Kevin:The OP from Spud was about a different subject. Let's not hijack the thread here. Ship off a PM to Riona, post up on one of the Sena threads or start a new one if'n ya's wanna know about Senas.
The OP's link seems to be to a website soliciting investors for a startup/production of the new technology/product.

Did I miss the "where to buy" and "unit retail price" portion? Reviews by current users? Warranty?

I better go back and re-look...

After reading though this, I thought I'd add that their target price seems to be around 90-100 bucks, and that this indeed looks like a start up. The investor concept that Brett (BGROSS) brought up seems to be the case. Looks to me like you buy the product sight unseen for a given price. Looks like the concept is the sooner ya get onboard, or the more ya give, the sooner ya get the soon-to-be-available supply of units.

They spent a lot of time describing how this new product came together, but as far as I know it's a brand new technology with no available reviews or reputable vendors giving it an endorsement. It appears that you take your chances.

They claim that their sound is as good/better than earbuds. This causes a huge red flag in my mind. Am I the only one thinking this? It would take a full fledged quality headphone to accomplish this. I've never heard of this film type speaker, but my lack of knowledge doesn't prove anything. I tend to be a little skeptical about stuff like this.

However, that said, if this product does what it claims, they might be on to something. It couldn't replace say, a Sena, Cardo, or a Chatterbox in that it is only a bluetooth headphone and has no capacity to communicate with other similar sets or answer phone calls, etc. Honestly, rather than the bluetooth set up, I'd rather see a simple plug that would enable it to just take the place of earbuds... which would enable it to function with most motorcycle communication systems already on the market.

A google search of "syphon soundwrap" turns up a bunch of hits and you tube videos as well. Check em out and post up what cha see.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Dennis and Kevin:The OP from Spud was about a different subject. Let's not hijack the thread here. Ship off a PM to Riona, post up on one of the Sena threads or start a new one if'n ya's wanna know about Senas.
I realized what I had done about 10 seconds after posting the question. Found my answer in a previous thread. Mostly negative reviews so I will keep on looking.

Yes it's very clear that this is a startup and no one knows how well it works. He's raised some pretty impressive money though. Maybe he's on to something. Could be the first real breakthrough since this:
tonguesmiley.gif

bonephone3.jpg