New Industrial Strength Ignition Key

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyBeerNutz

Reaction score
I guess boredom got the best of me. I had a couple of shorty screwdrivers laying around and decided to put one to good use.

The results are here: FJR Key

The middle and the left side both pull apart from each other and the right. A guy saw me put it in the ignition today and asked what I did to my bike that I had to resort to sticking a screwdriver in the ignition.

Well, with that in your pocket, the women are sure going to be happy to see you coming! ... maybe even some of the guys, too... :blink:

That gives me a great idea, I'm going to do something similar with a 3/4 ratchet. Thanks! ;)
Next up, how to start your bike with a torque wrench; later we'll try using a hand carved popsicle stick...!

What's the torque that needs to be applied to the ignition anyway?

That gives me a great idea, I'm going to do something similar with a 3/4 ratchet. Thanks! ;)
Next up, how to start your bike with a torque wrench; later we'll try using a hand carved popsicle stick...!

What's the torque that needs to be applied to the ignition anyway?
His bike? Apparently a lot more than most FJR's. :blink:

Did you cut it yourself? Or did fine someone to agree to mount your screwdriver into a keycutter?
It's actually a spare key stuck into a screwdriver handle. I heated the metal end of the screwdriver up slowly with a propane torch and pulled it out, cut the head of the key to fit in the handle, heated the key up, stuck it back in, drilled a hole in the other end for the keychain, heated the keychain up and stuck it in.

We Canadians and Europeans have the nice immobilizer keys with a microchip in them, so no screwdrivers for us unless they come mixed in a glass. Which begs the question, why wouldn't the US models get immobilizers?

Last edited by a moderator:
BecUse in the US the owner simply shoots someone trying to steal their bike. The police understand. It's all very genial and diplomatic here. :)