New info on my farkels and pictures on my website

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, ya, got me with that Bear encounter on Big Bend trip. ;)

Still I think we need more proof you guys are in Texas... Pictures of landscapes with road blocks, jiffy johns, ditch diggers in background....Dairy Queen, Dairy Queen, Ghost town, Waffle house.... How about pic of bikes with this in background?
thChipon_horse78jpg.jpg

Looks like you went right by my sister's place Sunday Creek on the Weatherford/Brekenridge Texas Loop run. Their place definitely beats the Dairy Queen. Cool website and pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know exactly where this place is. I will definitely stop there next time. It's actually only about 25-30 miles from my house.

Thanks for your comments.

Robert

Looks like you went right by my sister's place Sunday Creek on the Weatherford/Brekenridge Texas Loop run. Their place definitely beats the Dairy Queen. Cool website and pics.

Welcome to the forum Robert!

I'm interested in your Garmin Rino 530

Can you tell us more about it.

-How you have it mounted to the bike (Ram, techmount...)

-Where did you get the PTT switch, how it is wired up (is it custom or an off the shelf item)

-Is the rino & FRS GMRS GPS functions wired into the autocom

I'm looking at adding a FRS bike to bike system to my autocom & was just thinking about the rino 530 this weekend.

Off the bike the Rino would pull double duty as my hiking & geocaching tool

Thanks,

Rob

I replied to "pawtracks" direct about this. However, if anyone else is interested, there is more information about the Rino 530 on my wesite, ST Texas. If anyone desires more info, just let me know.

Thanks,

Robert

Welcome to the forum Robert!
I'm interested in your Garmin Rino 530

Can you tell us more about it.

-How you have it mounted to the bike (Ram, techmount...)

-Where did you get the PTT switch, how it is wired up (is it custom or an off the shelf item)

-Is the rino & FRS GMRS GPS functions wired into the autocom

I'm looking at adding a FRS bike to bike system to my autocom & was just thinking about the rino 530 this weekend.

Off the bike the Rino would pull double duty as my hiking & geocaching tool

Thanks,

Rob

Robert,

I found the info for the RAM mount

I started out with a Garmin etrex Vista C on the FJR & traded that up for a Garmin 2730

My concern looking at the RAM mount (I assume you are using) is it doesn't look like it would hold the rino in as tight as my etrex is held.

Do you find that not to be the case?

No fear of the GPS popping out of the mount

Garmin Rino 530

(Doesn't appear to be that snug)

ramholga20.jpg

Garmin etrex Vista C (holds it in there nice & snug)

Has upper portion which holds GPS unit tightly (no fear of unit poping out of the mount)

I always lanyard it to the clutch resv "just in case" :)

RAMHOLGA5.jpg

No problem with the PM but one the best things about a forum is knowledge sharing.

Who knows how many people are thinking the same thing or what would people miss out on if we all just talked via email in a private forum vice public capacity such as this.

Thanks,

Rob

P.S. For those wondering why the hell do you need two GPS units????

I am mainly interested in using the FRS bike-bike feature on a part time basis, when not using the FRS it will be my Geocaching, hiking handheld unit.

One other question.

Do you power the unit from the bike or just use batteries?

If batteries, how long do you find they last (typical day)

I know it depends if you turn on WAAS or use higher power FRS, etc...

Thanks

The little button that is made to snap into the belt holder screws in the back of the Rino. It snaps into the hole at the top on the cradle and is very secure. (It is hard to take off at the end of the day) I just use the battery on the radio. I find that after a full day of use (I leave it on all day) I still have over half of the battery left. My son has one also and has the same experience. We only use the low power FRS because we're never more than a mile or so apart. I have no complaints about the battery or anything else.

Thanks,

Robert

One other question.Do you power the unit from the bike or just use batteries?

If batteries, how long do you find they last (typical day)

I know it depends if you turn on WAAS or use higher power FRS, etc...

Thanks