New Jacket help, please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhendron

Reaction score
I did some searching on the site, but didn't really find what I'm looking for.

I want a 3/4 length, textile jacket with plenty of vents and a REMOVABLE waterproof liner. Not necessary, but desired would be an extra thermal liner. The Rev-It Spectrum seems to fit the bill, but it isn't made anymore and the only color available in my size is silver. Not a deal breaker, but I'd prefer hi-viz or red, but definitely not black.

So, what have you got!
smile.png

Olympia Ranger, the updated version of the Olympia AST 2. It doesn't have a removable waterproof liner, but the whole jacket is waterproof with a removable thermal liner. The benefit here is that you don't have a soaking wet outer jacket to deal with. I've had the AST and it is the most versatile jacket I own. Good into the 30's on its own, teens with electrics, and mid to upper 80's with all the vents open. The venting is excellent as is the waterproofing. It is truly a 4 seasons jacket.

I've been wearing a TM Transition II since 2010 and it hasn't let any water in yet. Removable liner that will come out towards the end of April, early May. Plent of pockets, lots of ventilation so it has been comfortable on those warmer days east of the Cascades mid-summer. I don't know how the new Transition III compares but the II has been good for me.

First Gear, Kilimanjaro, or Katmandu, The Katmandu is heavier and lot more storage and hydro-pac capable.

I prefer Olympia these days and wear the AST, but have used a First gear Kilimanjaro and don't really have a complaint with their stuff. My kids like Joe Rocket, probably because of more style choices, but I have found the zippers to be the weak link with their gear.

My real reason for posting is the question about a waterproof liner. If you wear a jacket where the outer layer gets wet and the liner is the waterproof piece, then you will feel the cold from evaporation on the outer layer. Cold is worse than wet.

I prefer Olympia these days and wear the AST, but have used a First gear Kilimanjaro and don't really have a complaint with their stuff. My kids like Joe Rocket, probably because of more style choices, but I have found the zippers to be the weak link with their gear.
My real reason for posting is the question about a waterproof liner. If you wear a jacket where the outer layer gets wet and the liner is the waterproof piece, then you will feel the cold from evaporation on the outer layer. Cold is worse than wet.
Yeah, I may be asking too much. The thing is, I live in Phoenix but also venture north on longer trips. I want something that can be waterproof if necessary, but also vents right to the skin when not. My experience with built-in waterproofing is miserable, clammy, and way too hot even in moderate temps. If you can suggest a way around that, I'm all ears.

I have a slightly over sized Carhart rain jacket in Hi Vis Green, that I pull out and put on over my jacket. Done Deal!

Yeah, I may be asking too much. The thing is, I live in Phoenix but also venture north on longer trips. I want something that can be waterproof if necessary, but also vents right to the skin when not. My experience with built-in waterproofing is miserable, clammy, and way too hot even in moderate temps. If you can suggest a way around that, I'm all ears.
How about some lighter gear for local riding and maybe something heavier for when you expect to get into colder weather. The AST jacket I recommended is actually heavier fabric than most others, but lets enough air flow through that I wear it in any temperature between 35F to over 100F, but that 100F is only occasional.

If I were in Arizona I'd be looking at a good mesh jacket. I have no experience with that so I can't recommend anything in particular. And I'd carry separate rain gear for that rare time that you don't want to get wet. After all, in a hot dry climate it actually feels good to get rained on once in a while, and it dries quickly. For me, I carry Frogg Toggs to put on over my waterproof gear when the rain gets very heavy and prolonged.

Carry rain gear.