New LED Aux lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Hudson, those lights look pretty nice!

How hot do they get? I've played with those little LED lights without a heat sink, and MAN, they will start a fire! Just wondering how any fiberglass adjacent to the housing will hold up.

EDIT:

Joe at Vision X says the housing gets to 107C/225F max. Guess that's OK. Just don't touch it until they've had a LONG while to cool down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think ALL aux m/c lighting will be LED within a few years. The brightness vs. electrical draw makes them unbeatable, and there have been impressive improvements in just the last few years. I saw a set just like the OP's this weekend on a Connie. They looked very good. We compared his to mine, the Clearwater "Glenda" lights, and they appeared very similar in brightness and size. The Vision X ones might be a bit less expensive--I don't know what else you might need to purchase to get them all set up--and of course only the Clearwaters are dimmable/adjustable. Still, for small size, low current draw brightness, LEDs are the future, IMHO.

As to heat, Rocket, one of the selling points on the LEDs is that they're more efficient than other types of lights, which lose up to 90 percent of their energy in heat as a by-product of the light produced. Not sure how hot they really get in comparison to other types of lights. I do know mine are designed with cooling "fins" machined into the billet aluminum housings. See the CAD illustration at the bottom of this page for an example.