New member of the RDL club

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graler

Reaction score
Last night I was innocently checking CL to see if anyone was parting with any FJR thingy that I might need. I wasn't really looking for anything but I didn't want to miss out.

Low and behold a Russell Day Long in my area for sale on CL. Like new only a 150 miles on it - main seat and pillion. I did a little thinking - I just got a sargent from a forum member and the jury is still out on that decision. But the RDLs do not show up very often and when they do they are gone in a split second. Then there are the questions about will it fit me? Will I need to have it adjusted? Yes I worried it to death. I made a phone call and set up a meeting time. I stopped at the bank and got some cash just in case.

Upon arriving at the buyers place he comes out of the house. Cool we are just about the same height and pretty similar in build. Ok that probably answers the adjustment question. We put the seat on the bike in the high position just like my stock seat. Wow it was significantly different. I am just shy of 6'1" with a 32" inseam. I could not flat foot in the high setting. Popped the seat off. Moved to the lower setting and it was much better. I could flat foot but there wasn't any extra to spare.

I paid the man and rode home with the stock seat attached via bungie cords to the rear rack. I put my stock seat on because I knew there would be a potential for a seat to get bungied to the rack. If anything happened, a crash or a tear from a bungie I wanted to sacrifice the stocker not the sargent. My first impressions after that 40 minute ride. Its a keeper.

My garage is starting to resemble Dcarvers ( I think he is the one that posted the photo of a half dozen or so seats in his garage). I will be thinning the hoard. The sargent will go soon.

Joe

The RDL is the cat's meow. Go for a 500+ mile stroll and see what you think - ya can't beat it!