new modular helmet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulawood

Reaction score
I had my 3/4 helmet, an Arai and also a pair of motorcycle sunglasses but I am still worried about my protection and safety while I'm on highway. I love the features of my 3/4, I can see clearly and I can have conversation without taking off the helmet. So I am planning to have modular helmet, and I heard Bell has great collection of this helmet. What do you think?

Anyone has experience with Bell modular helmet??

My dad has the Scorpion modular and loves it. You can use it as modular or remove the chin bar and use it as a 3/4 if you want...

I'm saving for my next helmet...HJC Sy-Max III in hiviz

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/helmets_and_eyewear/closed_face_flip_up_chin/hjc/sy_max_iii_helmet.html in hiviz

oh...pricing https://www.motorcyclegear.com/pricing/private/5324

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/sy-max-3/

578-341d-2.jpg

Had a Nolan, be sure it fits your head shape. Had a Symax II, it was OK, but my Scorpion EXO-900 is better and quieter. I'd like a Schuberth but just can't get there for the money.

Had a Nolan, be sure it fits your head shape. Had a Symax II, it was OK, but my Scorpion EXO-900 is better and quieter. I'd like a Schuberth but just can't get there for the money.
I have the Nolan N104. I agree make sure it fits. I would have got the Schubeth but you can not install the J&M system in the helmet due to the location of the inside shield cables that activate it.

Thanks for your reply. I visited the website that you gave but I cant decide yet. I need more suggestions from other members. :lol:
I have the Bell Revolver modular helmet.

Pros: price point is VERY affordable, lots of bells and whistles (easily maneuverable flip-down sun visor, etc.).

Cons: noisy but I've read that that is something you sacrifice by having a modular. If you want to spend 4x+ the money, a Nolan may be the way to go. Until I can afford that (or rob my next bank), the Revolver is a great solution for the time being. YMMV.

Thanks for your reply. I visited the website that you gave but I cant decide yet. I need more suggestions from other members. :lol:
I have the Bell Revolver modular helmet.

Pros: price point is VERY affordable, lots of bells and whistles (easily maneuverable flip-down sun visor, etc.).

Cons: noisy but I've read that that is something you sacrifice by having a modular. If you want to spend 4x+ the money, a Nolan may be the way to go. Until I can afford that (or rob my next bank), the Revolver is a great solution for the time being. YMMV.
Agree.

I picked up this same helmet (Bell Revolver modular) pretty cheap (MSS has it for $79 right now) and it works well, but as stated noisy. The air flow is better than my RF1000 so for summer so I really like it and I love the flip down sun visor.

I've worn out a HJC symax and just replace it with a HJC IS-max. Much lighter than the old and with the sunvisor a great helmet. I bought it in Seattle, because I had a gift card to a dealer there. Motorcyclegear.com has a better price, but the sizes run a little smaller, so would try one on first.

I just "upgraded" from the HJC to the Nolan. I went with the N103 instead of the newer N104 because my aftermarket communication system would not fit on the 104. The slider for the sunvisor is right in the way of where I needed to attach the system. On the plus side, there are spaces inside the helmet for the speakers so that they are not pushing against your ears while you are riding. My Dad crashed his FJR while wearing a Nolan N-102. He is still here and the helmet was still functional. I also looked at the Shoei modular and they are great looking helmets. I paid $310 for the N103, the Shoei was $695. It is probably worth it but... The Nolan fits my head shape very comfortably.

Just my experience, but I didn't want to get rid of my 3/4 helmet and I have not liked the full face I had. But to add some safety, this year I tried the Nolan N90 modular and I love it. I got it just a couple months ago from RevZilla.com and it was a lot cheaper than the N104. A lot of the reviews seem to like the N90 better than the 100 series even thought it's a cheaper helmet. The modulars have a little more wind noise than the full face and they probably are a touch less safe, but not anything worth worrying about. They are a ton safer than the 3/4 and you actually want to wear it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Nolan based on this testing:

https://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelmetlist?sharp-make=All&sharp-model=&sharp-type=3&sharp-rating=1&sharp-price-from=0&sharp-price-to=9999&discontinued=1

Click on the helmets to read how they did with the test. Pay attention to how often the shield broke off. The Nolan's were the only ones that the shield stayed on 100% of the time. Some of them were pretty bad. Of course real-world may be different, but this is the only test I've seen that comments on the shield breaking off.

I have a Symax II and I like it a lot but I was planning to go with the Scorpion to get the HiViz yellow. Now that HJC has the Hi Viz in the new Symax III I will have to give it a close look. My only issue with the Symax I have is wind noise. It is not a big deal because I always wear ear plugs, but it is noisy.

Several months ago Rider Magazine did a story on modular helmets. Some were well known, others were not. A review on the GMax was positive. Gmax has a positive review on https://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/gmax/gm68s/ though not the modular model. I found a good price at Competition Accessories and bought it. Well made, ventilation is great, has built in sun visor. I've had several Shoeis and like this helmet just as much.