New PIAA HID Lamps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This particular 2.5" form factor (actually only about a 2" reflector) and wattage has already been covered....and found largely to be suboptimal in photon output, reflector efficiency, and beam shape. Maybe PIAA has improved things, but that's going to be a hard task with even the most efficient and well-shaped reflector. At $500+ too? Ouch. PIAA has always been expensive in my mind for what one gets.

It still seems hard to beat the Solteks in the bang-for-the-buck department.....and they're plug-and-play too...even if largish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those sure do look like the Trail Tech lights. Slappy, did somebody do a licensing deal?
I think the Trail Techs are 4" and very different.

sc4_hid.jpg

They look more like a black version of the ones at BLM...including the joint and side striations.

PIAA (@ 30 watt)

Cross_Country_HID.jpg

BLM 30 watt

SpotHID_bracket.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 30W HIDs BLM sells are the same as the TrailTech SCMR16 that LDRyder posted, which are probably the same as the PIAA lights. I can't confirm for the PIAAs, but the other two use components manufactured by Solarc (a brand owned by Welch Allyn).

As for the PIAA lights, all I can say is "no comment" ;)

I'm not familiar with the BLMs, but very much doubt those are the same components as the Trail Tech lights. If they are, I'd like to know about it.