new powercommander?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm.........very cool. From their website:

The onboard memory allows for the storage of multiple maps. Once stored, these maps can be sent to the Power Commander "on the fly". Additionally, maps can be custom adjusted using the controls on the display.
The LCD unit has an SD Memory card slot (memory sold separately) so that the amount of data storage for maps and logging can be increased at any time.
Nice features. Not needed, but I wish I could adjust my maps on the fly for economy vs. throttle response.

Hmmmm.........very cool. From their website:

The onboard memory allows for the storage of multiple maps. Once stored, these maps can be sent to the Power Commander "on the fly". Additionally, maps can be custom adjusted using the controls on the display.
The LCD unit has an SD Memory card slot (memory sold separately) so that the amount of data storage for maps and logging can be increased at any time.
Nice features. Not needed, but I wish I could adjust my maps on the fly for economy vs. throttle response.
You can use the new 3 position map switch. I emailed powercommander and asked if the hub and switch would work with a PCIII Usb on the FJR and they assured me it would. Got me thinking about a power map, mileage map, and nitrous map right there that can be switched on the fly

Check out their website:
https://www.powercommander.com/

Living in California, I'm thinking the "EX" would be a better choice... if there's any difference for the FJR at this point.

*shrug*
I will be an early adopter of this. I've been "lurking" PCIII threads since I picked up my FJR last July, pondering this, but I put all my early discretionary funds into the F-15/gadget route so far (intercomm, XM, GPS). Now that the engine is broken in (5.2k mi), it's time to party on the engine side.

My name is now on the mailing list for the 06-07 EX model, expecting notification when it's shipping to dealers. I'll be scanning the board looking for map postings to download and try...

Ironic part for me was I too have been waiting on the PCIII... decided to pull the trigger on it and within a week of my purchase they change their website for the two "types" of power commanders.

I installed the "regular" or "old" PCIII yesterday (Sat). Haven't had a chance to really go for a ride for impressions... I will be riding it to work during the week.

I can't figure out what the difference is between the ex and the normal version of the pciii.

<Skooter, I was just saving this spot as a placeholder for my very important observations ;) >

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone comment on why someone would choose the EX model over the plain PC III. I'm in the market to get one and from reading the PC website it seems the the EX is the only product listed for the FJR and it looks like the Harley guys benefit most from the EX. I don't think I need the "race only" features talked about on the website, I primarily want one to smooth out the throttle.... I've undone the spring and have a G2 so I think the PC is the next step....

Thanks

K

My distributor told me today that the EX model has no control over the mixture in the low end. What I think they were telling me is that the PCIII EX leaves the mixture alone in that area. So, you want to buy a PCIII that does NOT correct the problems with the mixture? I think not.

+1 Why would anyone in their right mind want to get a pciii that won't let you fix the lowend throttle response?

I take it that the last two posts are in response to my last post....Am I interpreting other post about a PCIII fixing the "jerky" throttle incorrectly? there are a number of post stating that there bike is much smoother since the addition of a PC. Perhaps I'm merging two issues into one fix.

Can someone edumacate me......

Thanks

K

<snip>....Am I interpreting other post about a PCIII fixing the "jerky" throttle incorrectly? there are a number of post stating that there bike is much smoother since the addition of a PC. Can someone edumacate me......
K, I wish I could....and, I agree -- there appears to be some confusion here (at least to me). My friend with an '07 with throttle roll-on hesitation says that the addition of a PCIII didn't resolve the problem. In fact, it's still there (often and at irregular times) after several thousand miles and checking everything he and the dealer can think of. He now thinks he'll need a "Fuel Cut Eliminator" wired-in to solve the roll-on hesitation problem -- something that the FZ-1 crowd has accepted as a necessary addition to their bikes to make them run properly.

K, I wish I could....and, I agree -- there appears to be some confusion here (at least to me). My friend with an '07 with throttle roll-on hesitation says that the addition of a PCIII didn't resolve the problem. In fact, it's still there (often and at irregular times) after several thousand miles and checking everything he and the dealer can think of.
I hope with is "rare".

I installed my PCIII this past weekend but didn't have a chance to really take it for ride. That'll be tomorrow. Needless to say, if it doesn't help somewhat with the "jerk" on my FJR... well, I'm going to be disappointed.

There appears to be a new version of the power commander. The original PCIII USB and the PCIII USB EX. Apparently the EX version doesn't do a heck of a lot for low end response which is where the jerky throttle problem is with the FJR. If you buy a PCIII make sure you get the normal version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been reading the threads on the Power Commanders and I don't believe many talk about which map people are using.

Are there "standard" or "off-the-shelf" maps people are using or is a custom map required?

Thanks