New Reinforced Version Oem Mounting plate for the Top Case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mihalis fjr

Reaction score
Well,I bought the new mounting plate 5JW-W0720-21.The only visible differences from the old version 5JW-W0720-20 are,that they have installed three aluminium tube spacers inside the three holes for the bolts,and the two rear rubber bumpers are glued now in a different position than the two front.Horizontal for the two front,Vertical for the two rear rubber bumpers.A very good move from Yamaha i believe,because these three aluminium tubes reinforces the plate in this area,because in the previously part number mounting plates,the plates cracked in this area and secondly,now the bolts keeping the tightening torque for a long time because the bolts now they do contact metal to metal and not metal to plastic than before.They changed and the mounting plates for the 06/-13 fjr,from the old part number 5VS-W0720-20 to new part number 5VS-W0720-21,installed the same aluminium tubes inside the three holes.

The pictures of the new mounting plate 5JW-W0720-21 with the aluminium tubes installed and the rear rubber bumpers in vertical position.

After the installation in my bike i noticed that the rear mounting plate with the rear trunk is now much more stiffener and durable than the old part number mounting plate!

P1020124_zps336c7dd2.jpg

P1020125_zpsde653406.jpg

P1020127_zpsaa88f2a9.jpg

P1020126_zpsb4b54d41.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a happy Transformer to me

These aluminium tubes for the reinforcement of the plate,really works!You can feel how much more rigid is the plate with the trunk now!

In your photo, the two reinforcing ribs are where it was reinforced as most of the cracking was in that area. However, on my '07, it was the bottom of the top box itself that failed, not the mount.

Hi Michalis.
Good to see you finally have your plate issues sorted.

fjrplate.jpg

Now you have to find some other problem to post........
rolleyes.gif

Al.
Hahaha,
haha.gif
laugh.png
I like this picture Alan!!
good.gif
Yes,i have another problem to post..:The autoretract in the windshield motor stopped working a long time ago and works only when the motor wants..I know where is the problem,is in the microswitches in the black box of the motor but i don't know how easy is to replace these microswitches..Will see..
rolleyes.gif
keep you informed...

In your photo, the two reinforcing ribs are where it was reinforced as most of the cracking was in that area. However, on my '07, it was the bottom of the top box itself that failed, not the mount.
The cracking in the bottom of your top box and from what i have read and in many oem top boxes perhaps happened in combination from overload,a passenger,in some rough roads..But,from what i see the plastic of the top box is very hard without elasticity and for this reason it don't absorbs well the bumps and vibrations and in combination with the overload,passenger,rough roads cause the cracking.My opinion..