New Rifle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
I have seen several postings on this windshield, just installed mine and am looking forward to the first ride tonite or tomorrow. No difficulty mounting the thing, however, when seated on the fjr it is sort of a strange appearance looking down from the inside at all the structural mounting hardware that is exposed. No one has really mentioned that that I can recall. I would have got the screen anyway as I am looking to make the FJR as much an all weather bike as I can.Big opening down there.

I have an '05, so maybe mine is different, but the space blends in quickly.

The ride itself has been completely different for me. No more buffeting and/or wind roar. Much more relaxing! I killed a lot of bugs with my face and shoulders while riding with the stock shield.

I knew that after riding with a rifle, I wouldn't go back to stock! So today I actually took 3 inches off the stock shield, and left the tuning block in.

Read some reports of nice clean air and a cooler ride in the heat. Took a test ride down to the polling place and was amazed at the results! We're getting a wave of heat this week so it was the perfect time to do it.

Here's my bike during a 9 hour ride on Sunday. Just wandering around Santa Barbara County.

IMG_1247.jpg

And here it is today, with a short shield. Stripped back down to a sport bike, just because I could!

IMG_1275.jpg

P.S. I also did a custom trim to my rifle a while back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar reaction for the first day, and gradually forgot about it. It helps I got the bronze tint. I now think it's quite OK. Look over it and go ride.

Jim, I'll be interested in seeing the new shield and get your impressions of it. Nice couple riding days coming up...time for a two pass loop! Not me though...work still calls. :(

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Well guess I really like it, time will tell, collects bugs as well as the best. Cleaned up the busy chasm look in the front a bit, painted the nut plates black and picked up size 10 screw end protectors(black) and snipped them to length and placed them over the protruding ends of the steel screws in the tuning block mount set-up, imho a much more blended finished look. 70-80mph seems fine regardless of height setting (have the +5) the airflow seems smooth and consistent.

I have seen several postings on this windshield, just installed mine and am looking forward to the first ride tonite or tomorrow. No difficulty mounting the thing, however, when seated on the fjr it is sort of a strange appearance looking down from the inside at all the structural mounting hardware that is exposed. No one has really mentioned that that I can recall. I would have got the screen anyway as I am looking to make the FJR as much an all weather bike as I can.Big opening down there.
Give it a little time. You'll get used to it. Plus, if you've sized it correctly you'll forget all about how it looks because of how much more you'll enjoy the ride.

Original FJR 2006 Rifle tester here. I agree the bracketry looks a bit rough, but I'm about go not show, so no big deal.

On mine, I painted the lower inside section flat black to keep reflection from the HID's to a minimum.

The paint, with the tinted shield, look pretty cool I think, and is functionally superior when running HID's at night at speed.