New Rotors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimV

Reaction score
I'm planning on adding stainless brake and clutch lines so I figure that I might as well put on new rotors too.

Is there any objective way to decide if Galfer or ABM rotors perform better over time?

Assuming that the answer to the above is no, what are the subjective reasons that I should consider before taking the plunge?

And finally, since I missed the group buy on this stuff by a month, where can I get the best price?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning on adding stainless brake and clutch lines so I figure that I might as well put on new rotors too.
Is there any objective way to decide if Galfer or ABM rotors perform better over time?

Assuming that the answer to the above is no, what are the subjective reasons that I should consider before taking the plunge?

And finally, since I missed the group buy on this stuff by a month, where can I get the best price?

Thanks,

Jim
After the Forum discount, I offer the Galfers at $472.50.

Wave Rotors at SportbikeEffects.com

I'd be reluctant of going with Galfers because they screwed this community on a group buy a year ago.

I'd be reluctant of going with Galfers because they screwed this community on a group buy a year ago.
True, but lest we forget..spiegler didn't bother to inspect the specific type of carrier attachment we needed for the rear. Remember how folks had to use spacers/washers (after they were shipped)? That would have PMO'd me to no end with something so important as brakes. At least Galfer got that right..the first time. Oh, and my Galfer SS line kit had all the banjo's I need. Can't say the same for Spiegler.

Products are not (necessarily) related to the morons that sell them. Warchild did have a negative personal experience with them (the person who would have done the group buy). Sounded like the guy was a moron. Doesn't mean their product should be avoided. I would buy the galfers again in a heartbeat.

I am in the unique position to have BOTH the Galfers and the ABM rotors.

The Galfer Wave rotors are on my FJR; the ABM rotors are on my Blackbird. Which one would I chose for both bikes, if I had to do it all over again?

There is NO QUESTION about it.... the ABM rotors, hands down:

FinalFrontWheel3.jpg

AND, the fact of the matter is... I DID have to make this decision again recently (for my R1), and a set of these god-like ABM rotors you see above now reside on the front end of my new R1, as well.

I still have all of the front/rear ABM rotor/pad hardware brand new in the package in which it was delivered. Talk of shudder noises up front, so far has me a little weary to put 'em on. The reason for such talk could also be that the person installing may not be the most competant of wrenches. I will wait until some time has passed for a clean bill of health for such important pieces of hardware. In the meantime I have plenty of pad life left on the OEM's.

Truth be told, for me the '04 stock rotor/pad setup is the 'dogs parts' for stopping right now. I always felt that the stock FJR brake components were of high quality. I have installed the Speigler SS lines, and though there is some gain in feel/pressure required to stop, I would not go as far to say that it is a night and day difference in stopping performance. YMMV. The reason for me to buy them was longevity and safety over the OEM rubber lines, not because I thought the OEM setup was inferior.

Remember how folks had to use spacers/washers (after they were shipped)?
Whether or not brand 'A' is better than brand 'B', this statement does deserve merit as it is true. Brakes are vital to any riders well being, and though Mathias(?) at Speigler USA jumped on it lickety split when alerted, the factory should have done its homework before shipping product.

Fair enough! Nothing quite like trying both brands to gain an opinion. So you feel the ABM's made the bigger difference in braking power, relatively speaking?

Fair enough! Nothing quite like trying both brands to gain an opinion. So you feel the ABM's made the bigger difference in braking power, relatively speaking?
They seem to me to be stronger, yes, though obviously I can't point to any empirical evidence other than general feel. Both bikes have the stainless steel lines, and both have high-end brake pads (Carbone Lorraine on the XX, Galfer's HH sintered on the FJR). So everything else being somewhat more-or-less equal, the XX comes to a halt a bit more decisively, in my experience.

Both bikes have the stainless steel lines, and both have high-end brake pads (Carbone Lorraine on the XX, Galfer's HH sintered on the FJR).
WC,

Do you have a source for the Carbone Lorraine pads? Oh, and are you using the A3 or SBK3 pads? I'm assuming you'd use the SBK3 pads for the Feej.

Carbone Lorraine brake pads

Thanks,

Jim

Oh, and my Galfer SS line kit had all the banjo's I need. Can't say the same for Spiegler.
So is this still true: that the Spiegler lines will require additionaol hardware beyond what comes in the package? Actually, I saw the brake lines as a wash giving Spiegler the edge because the banjos seem to be adjustable.

I also just asked for an additonal 1.5 inches on the clutch and front master cylinder cables to accomodate my risers. I'll have ot see how that affects the price.

Thanks,

Jim

Oh, and my Galfer SS line kit had all the banjo's I need. Can't say the same for Spiegler.
So is this still true: that the Spiegler lines will require additionaol hardware beyond what comes in the package? Actually, I saw the brake lines as a wash giving Spiegler the edge because the banjos seem to be adjustable.

I also just asked for an additonal 1.5 inches on the clutch and front master cylinder cables to accomodate my risers. I'll have ot see how that affects the price.

Thanks,

Jim
No, no, no..... some folks - not a whole lot, but some - didn't receive all the banjos in their original package, is all.

I haven't heard Spiegler NOT take care of anyone on these situation. It was a huge Group Buy, hundreds of kits were assembled in a short period of time (all right as the riding season was getting seriously underway, with folks screaming for their lines), and their QC was appearently straining under the load in trying to get all the kits out as fast as possible.

Slightly tangential, but I noticed that my new Spiegler rotors sometimes seem to "chatter" at slower speeds--as if I could feel the waves hitting the Carbone Lorraine pads. I'm not talking ABS--they weren't nearly as ABS-firing pressures. Has anybody else noticed anything like that?

Hey All,

I just ordered my ABM's, Carbone-Lorraines, and Spieglers. One more dumb question: can I reuse the bolts that hold the current rotors on the wheel? I was going to get some Tastynuts titanium ones but I've kind of blown the budget on what I want to spend on this. (I still want the rear trunk this year.)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

Hey All,
  I just ordered my ABM's, Carbone-Lorraines, and Spieglers.  One more dumb question: can I reuse the bolts that hold the current rotors on the wheel? 
It's not a dumb question.... yes, you can reuse the OEM carrier bolts (though they look like ass; the Tasty Nuts would definitiely been the way to go, even if they are kinda spendy).

Ensure you use a nice dollop of Loctite Blue on the carrier bolt threads prior to reassembly....

One more thing:

Gary at University Motors got me my rotors, pads, and Spiegler brake and clutch cables for only $33 more than last spring's group buy price. So, IMHO, there's no reason to sit around lamenting the fact that you missed the group buy if you want to do this. In fact, $30 of the difference was in the brake like kit. The rotors and pads were exactly the same price as the group buy.

I've dealt with Gary before and am very happy with the service. :clap:

Cheers,

Jim