New Shoei Multitech flip up Anyone seen/bought one

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
Seen this new helmet from Shoei in a mag I received yesterday. It is a $400+. lid, and wondering if anyone has seen on. Or owns one and can tell me if it is quiet inside... Thanks Smitty :)

cool lid!!!

I've got a couple of riding buddies that swear by this helmet....I'm using an RF1000 that I love but have been looking at this helmet for convenience of use (border crossing amongst others) It's fit & finish are as good as any other helmet shoei makes....only difference I'm told is it's a little nosier than a regular full face but with earplugs you shouldn't notice any difference....hope this helps.... :D ....

Seen this new helmet from Shoei in a mag I received yesterday. It is a $400+. lid, and wondering if anyone has seen on. Or owns one and can tell me if it is quiet inside... Thanks Smitty :)
cool lid!!!
Smitty,

I been waiting for Shoei to release this for about a month now. Still don't know if they actually are available yet. I'm going to Phoenix this coming weekend for the Cycle World MC show, and will seek out the Shoei booth to check it out. I'll let ya know. ;)

Smitty,I been waiting for Shoei to release this for about a month now. Still don't know if they actually are available yet. I'm going to Phoenix this coming weekend for the Cycle World MC show, and will seek out the Shoei booth to check it out. I'll let ya know. ;)
When you gonna be at the show, Steve? It would be nice to see you again. I would love to hear about this year's LOE1000 which I was really bummed to miss.

Greg,

We'll probably be at the (Sat.) show I'm guessin between 4:00 and 7:00 p.m.. Afterwards we wanna check out the new Cabela's which I hear is almost across the street from the stadium. I'll keep an eye out for you. Are you still wearing a sling? Hope you're doin' better.

As for the LOE 1000, I wasn't involved at all this year due to prior commitments. Karl Zuerker, a friend of mine who you may remember from last year, won the whole she-bang this year. I think it's the first time in the history of the Rally that a New Mexican won!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had tried a Syncro, but it didn't fit like other Shoei's, it was for more rounder basketball heads or something. The chinbar was way too cluse to my face for comfort.

The Nolan 102 that I got at the BMW MOE in July is already falling apart, so I'll be looking at this too. But I need to try it on first.

I want to try it and the new KBC flip up on... Scorpion has been rumored to have a modular soon too.

-MD

The Nolan 102 that I got at the BMW MOE in July is already falling apart, so I'll be looking at this too. But I need to try it on first. -MD
Renegade: Curious to know how/where your Nolan N102 is falling apart. I'm on my 2nd Nolan flip-up (have the N102 now, which replaced my N100E), and no problems, aside from endemic-to-all-flip-ups higher noise level than 1-piece designs. Convenience is the best feature: water sip at red lights or nose scratch at 70mph.

Advice to prospective buyers of any helmet: walk around showroom for at least 30 minutes with your prospective helmet on your noggin. Uncomfortable 'hot spots' may take 10+ minutes to develop. Nolan was the most comfy of the BMW and Shoei helmets I tried on. YNSMV. (Your Noggin Size May Vary.)

The Nolan 102 that I got at the BMW MOE in July is already falling apart, so I'll be looking at this too. But I need to try it on first. -MD
Renegade: Curious to know how/where your Nolan N102 is falling apart.
First, thing that came off of it was the rubber thing on the top vent that's there to help you grip the top vent. I was trying to close/open the top vent while riding. Not exactly sure how but my vent is extremely hard to open close, and the rubber thing came right out of the two slots. It's now just a whistle on the top of my helmet. (which is now covered by a small piece of duct tape).

I use the fog insert, I love this feature, best feature of the helmet, until about two weeks ago, I open the helmet and the fog thing falls in my lap. One of the pegs in the face shield spins freely and is very loose.

I'm albe to turn it and put some tension on the fog insert, but it won't stay in there now. I have no idea what happened with that. (Maybe a rock hit it? But I don't think that's the case).

Since I do ride with sun glasses, I found the visor to not be so useful, in fact it too whistles in the up position, so I removed it. I put the covers on that came with the helmet. I've now lost one of those. :angry2: They dont' attach very well.

This helmet also doesn't exactly close real smoothly either.

Now, I did buy this at a show, and it was tried on by 500 people, and I did get "deal', etc, etc.

The show guy said, at the end of the show what they don't sell they destroy, because they've been tried on, stretched, etc, etc.... Maybe that's part of the problem.

My dad has a 100E and has had it for a couple years and his has held up really well so either I got a lemon, or the show really abused this helmet.

:glare:

cool lid!!!
They aren't in the country yet, (but they are on the way)

Atleast that is what I was told when I was at Midwest Cycle the other day trying to buy parts for my Arai

(<Rant ON>

F'ing Arai, fricking base kits are on back order, can't hold the f'ing sheild on the helmet w/o a new one good thing it's getting colder now in MN...

</Rant OFF>)

[thanks for listening]

-bvw.

I used the Shoei Syncrotech flip up for about a year and I just recently replaced it with a RF1000. I just didn't use the flip up on the Syncrotech and wanted a Snell approved full face that was quite. I'm very happy with the RF1000.

Looks like a nice lid for sure. I had a Symax that was o-k but didn't fit well for my round head and ended up reselling it after a summer. If you interested in a KBC, I tried the FFR and found that it seems to fit folks with a long vs round head better (if that makes any sense...). Still haven't found anything better than a Bell for round heads like mine :D

There's a bunch of the new Multitech helmets on E-Bay right now. However, one of the shops selling them on E-Bay is close to me in Chicago, so I thought I would call and see if they have them in stock. "Not for a few more weeks" was the answer I was given. REALLY pisses me off that they are selling them on E-Bay, as if they have them in stock, when they know damn well they wont be able to ship them for weeks.

Once the shop here in Chicago has some on the floor, I will go and try one on, and them decide if I want to make a change.

I had tried a Syncro, but it didn't fit like other Shoei's, it was for more rounder basketball heads or something. The chinbar was way too cluse to my face for comfort.
The Nolan 102 that I got at the BMW MOE in July is already falling apart, so I'll be looking at this too. But I need to try it on first.

I want to try it and the new KBC flip up on... Scorpion has been rumored to have a modular soon too.

-MD
I've have the new KBC flip up and love it, its great if you want to ride with the front up or down, The blue, silver, black. white paint scheme look great and matchs my 05FJR, you will not be disappointed with this helmet. I bought mine thru motoxoutlet.com for 189.00 + shipping. PS need to order one size smaller than your normal size.

Renegade: Curious to know how/where your Nolan N102 is falling apart.
First, thing that came off of it was the rubber thing on the top vent that's there to help you grip the top vent. I was trying to close/open the top vent while riding. Not exactly sure how but my vent is extremely hard to open close, and the rubber thing came right out of the two slots. It's now just a whistle on the top of my helmet. (which is now covered by a small piece of duct tape).

I use the fog insert, I love this feature, best feature of the helmet, until about two weeks ago, I open the helmet and the fog thing falls in my lap. One of the pegs in the face shield spins freely and is very loose.

I'm albe to turn it and put some tension on the fog insert, but it won't stay in there now. I have no idea what happened with that. (Maybe a rock hit it? But I don't think that's the case).

Since I do ride with sun glasses, I found the visor to not be so useful, in fact it too whistles in the up position, so I removed it. I put the covers on that came with the helmet. I've now lost one of those. :angry2: They dont' attach very well.

This helmet also doesn't exactly close real smoothly either.

Now, I did buy this at a show, and it was tried on by 500 people, and I did get "deal', etc, etc.

The show guy said, at the end of the show what they don't sell they destroy, because they've been tried on, stretched, etc, etc.... Maybe that's part of the problem.

My dad has a 100E and has had it for a couple years and his has held up really well so either I got a lemon, or the show really abused this helmet.

:glare:

I have a Nolan 102 (x1002) and the first time I put the lid on, 2 of the rivets on the helmet popped out. The company sent me replacements, but they did not stay in. The helmet his noisy at speed, but if I have the CalSci windscreen up at eye level, the noise is pretty OK. The Nolan does not fit my face well. After 30 minutes, I start to get jaw pain and after several hours I have TMJ type symptoms for a couple days. The Nolan's hard inner shell protection is crushable .. so it can be deformed to fit better and I have done this. But, it's not as EZ to do as a fully padded helmet, like the Symax.

I also have a HJC Symax ... couple years old. I wrap a 5 inch piece of 2x4 in a medium sized towel and wedge it in the helmet. This seems to deform the helmet to better fit my face.

Between the 2, I like the Symax best. More comfortable (for me), less noisy, better made (IMO). But, both have rear vision problems (like most FF helmets). I have some 'neck issues' and turning my head to see cagers when I change lanes is much more difficult with FFs than with a 3/4 lid.

BTW, what does one do with 'old helmets'? I have maybe 10 helmets ... maybe more. What do I do with those I no longer use. Toss 'em?

BAGGER

BTW, what does one do with 'old helmets'? I have maybe 10 helmets ... maybe more. What do I do with those I no longer use. Toss 'em?
BAGGER
I have an idea that I kinda got from this forum. Someone posted pics of a bird that had made a nest in the helmet -- so make bird houses!

With more than 10 -- you could create a motorcyle helmet bird condo.

How easy: 1, remove faceshield on full-face. take a wooden salad bowl, drill a few drain holes in it, and glue it to the bottom of the helmet!

looks cooler than a bunch of gourds..

cool lid!!!
I have looked at it on the web...can't find one either :angry: My wife has a HJC max and it leaks air all around the shield

and since its 40* she ain't happy :blink: I have been looking at this one C2 Very impressed with their technology, now to find one to try on.

Cary

Regarding the Shoei Multitec lid ... I can't wait for some folks to acquire one and post their experiences. I'm always on the look out for another great helmet ... as I stated before, I have several and then some.

The Shoei 'commercial' looks great. The helmet looks quite nice, too. :clapping:

I'm sure it'll sell for something less than $400 on the street. $400 is pretty pricey in my book, but hey ... we spend lots more on other 'stuff' for our rides.

Can't wait ....!

BAGGER