New sole on Oxtar boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Can it be done? I "think" that I remember a thread that was on this subject but cannot find it. Is anyone in the know? My boots need to be re-soled.

If I remember correctly, it was Iggy that was talking about having his Oxtars resoled. I'll see if I can find that post, but it was a long time ago.

Ya know, I'm pretty much a search Nazi & I really find the board's seach function sucks large ones. I usually use Google search. I usually find what I am looking for. Not in this case.

If I remember correctly, it was Iggy that was talking about having his Oxtars resoled. I'll see if I can find that post, but it was a long time ago.
Not me.

I think FJRay did have his resoled though here by searching on resole oxtar site:fjrforum.com.

My Oxtar soles are still quite good...although I'm increasingly worried about the are where the shifter rubs. The reinforcement is pretty much tattered and fills with sand and debris.

Of course it can be done.

I've had my Oxtars done last year and it worked out fine. Most any shoemaker can do it for you I would suspect. I had mine done with the shifter pad replaced (it was worn through) and buffed up and cost $60. Good deal as the boots are over $300 here new.

They are almost like new now and should last another 4-5 years.

You can choose the sole pattern too.

If you like the boots have it taken care of. They are the best bike boots I have ever had.

On the other hand, I was in touch with the folks at TCX (?) today. They informed me that the Oxtar Matrix waterproof boots can not be resoled.

If nothing else, I'm sure that a new sole can be glued on. I'm also sure that the manufacturer will not guarantee the boot once it has been done.

From what I understand, the old sole is ground off & the new glued to it. I expect that would not ruin the waterproof integrity. My worn tread still seems to work ok but it's going to need to be replaced at some point.

No doubt, those things have been rock solid waterproof for the last 3 years. Watch, I said that & now they'll leak.

I take pretty good care of them except for where the leather was ground off in my getoff 2 years ago. Besides the fact that they're goretex, I've treated them with pine pitch (waterproofing) every year & I've shined them with shoe wax & you can't even tell there is a layer of leather missing on one toe unless you look really close... & know where to look.

Ig, thanks for the link. I'll take a look at it later. I swear I used that same search pattern & came up with a bunch of dinosaur threads that did not appear to have the info that I am seeking. But thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
That right there is good news, Bounce. Thanks much.

Not me.

I think FJRay did have his resoled though here by searching on resole oxtar site:fjrforum.com.

My Oxtar soles are still quite good...although I'm increasingly worried about the are where the shifter rubs. The reinforcement is pretty much tattered and fills with sand and debris.
Mine have been done twice. The new soles were glued on so no change in waterproof integrity. My shifter pad is totaly gone and the velcro has died so I may be due for some new ones once my economy recovers.

I had to reoil my oxtars yesterday, them plastic hinge thingies that are supposed to prevent your ankles from breaking were grunting like rooting Pigs. I lost the oil that came with the boots so I just used some 3 in 1. Anyone know what kind I should be using, I'm thinking some silicone grease?

Rolavine, not sure of an answer to your question. My boots are the "Matrix" style. No hinges. You might be better served starting a new thread for your question. You'd get more exposure.

FJRay,

Where did they get the soles to glue on? One of the things I really like about my Matrix boots is the traction. I'd hate to replace the Oxtar soles with some generic brand that didn't have very good traction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rolavine, not sure of an answer to your question. My boots are the "Matrix" style. No hinges. You might be better served starting a new thread for your question. You'd get more exposure.
Yeah, I got some racing boots that have the T.C.S system (the hinge thingies), I should have known that your not talking about this type of Oxtar, I'm not really sure you could even resole these they have a lot of plastic parts.