New SPOT model announced

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcfjr

Reaction score
From GearJunkie:

• 2551.jpg
Today SPOT LLC announced an upgrade to its popular satellite messenger. The new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger is touted to have usability upgrades and a new smaller size. It’s about 30% more compact at 3.7 × 2.6 × 1 inches.

It’s lighter weight, too, at 5.2 ounces. And the GPS chipset has seen an upgrade, making for faster unit-to-satellite connection times. The antenna has been upgraded for better performance in foliage and canopied environments, according to the company.

Other new features include a message-sent LED notification; a new separate tracking button; an extra message button; and universal communications symbols on buttons for times when a language barrier might be present in an emergency.

And one thing I really like: There are now safety covers over the SOS and Help buttons, giving users peace of mind that they will not accidently hit “911” and send in the search-and-rescue troops when they thoughtlessly sit on their SPOT stowed in a backpack. (A pretty nonexistent issue with the original SPOT, but a situation always in the back of my mind.)

The new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger will come in orange and gloss silver. The company (www.findmespot.com) is including an armband case with the unit, which will be available in mid September. Price is forthcoming.

"and universal communications symbols on buttons for times when a language barrier might be present in an emergency."
OK, I'll bite. I've worked all over the world and have had several hundred guys work for me that barely spoke or didn't speak any English or French. And we got the job done just fine, using "unversal symbols/concepts"

Exactly what do the "footprint" and "reaching out hands" mean? "Going home"? "I need some lovin"? Hope I don't have to help some downed rider by figuring them out. Probably end up re-booting the thing

Just thought I'd be a smart ass for a minute, I'll check the website :D

Edit: Came across This Thread. Pretty interesting read.

Anybody have the occation to use this equipment in real life? Other than the tracking function. Did the calvary come to the rescue?

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep mine in my tank bag, under the map cover. That location has no sharp objects to accidentally press the Help or 911 buttons. Additionally, I can monitor the lights to determine status. Having said all that, it could be better. But it sure is better than nothing at all. IMHO, of course.

The antenna has been upgraded for better performance in foliage and canopied environments, according to the company.
That would be nice....

I keep mine in my tank bag, under the map cover.
So did I, and it didn't track an inch of my ride on 140, until I hit 101. Fairlaner's, on his clutch reservoir, tracked as designed. FJRonaMission's, left behind on some road the day before, might be needing an upgrade.

If on a solo ride through desolate country, I'll put it in my jacket pocket, in case I get separated from the bike, immobile, and need to call for help....

Last edited by a moderator: