New Supplies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars
Staff member
Reaction score
After a short hop out-and-back to Tyler, TX, I am now 3 cigars lighter, 1 DQ blizzard heavier, $50 poorer and 62 quarts of Mobile 1 motorcycle oil richer!

Not as fun as riding, but pretty much time well spent.

:yahoo:

Bounce,

Am I reading this correctly? You bought 62 quarts of M1 MC oil, plus a DQ treat, for $50! :questionmark: If so, DANG right, that's time well spent IMO too. :thumbsupsmiley:

Now for the big question. Where’s that honey hole you’re fishing that stuff out of? :bike:

Could be just a typo…500 instead of 50. Round here they get about $8 bucks a quart. (62 * 8) = 496. Then add $4 for the DQ treat. That would make $500. :graduated:

Otherwise, whoever sold the M1 at that price is gonna have some fans. :fans:

Someone posted up of damaged cases of oil below wholesale. I believe 900 quarts of Mobil 1 MX4T. It could have been on micapeak mailing list. Plus other various oils. But I think you had to pick it up in Houston?

After a short hop out-and-back to Tyler, TX, I am now 3 cigars lighter, 1 DQ blizzard heavier, $50 poorer and 62 quarts of Mobile 1 motorcycle oil richer!
Not as fun as riding, but pretty much time well spent.

:yahoo:
Good price. Wanna sell me some at $2/qt ? :)

Someone posted up of damaged cases of oil below wholesale. I believe 900 quarts of Mobil 1 MX4T. It could have been on micapeak mailing list. Plus other various oils. But I think you had to pick it up in Houston?
I sent the message to MicaPeak (it pays to monitor the mail lists and not only the forums).

I worked with the guy and found he was heading to Tyler this weekend to visit with friends, so we met there (~150 miles away from me).

50 quarts for $50. The Blizzard was extra.

Also got to visit with a friend from Monroe, LA who works for a bike shop there. His boss sent him to Tyler to pick up 4 HUNDRED quarts for the shop. He gave me 2 cases (12 quarts) for the "finders fee". :) Not much but I was only half-way joking about the "fee" anyway.

Amazon searches were showing the MX4T going for around $9 a quart, so I figure it was time well spent. Finding it locally was pretty much an impossibility and, when I occasionally did, it was running at or above $7 a quart. Rumors are that it's about $10 a quart in CA (gas, taxes, and egos aren't the only thing that are inflated there).

Mr. Oil Man told me he had people calling him and offering hims $3 per to brush us off (even though we'd called first) and sell it all to them. He was ethical enough to turn them down, since we already had our deals. He got a nice cigar, from an island south of Miami, for his actions. He also reported that a shipment of Ferarris was damaged in shipment but the insurance company won't let them "dispose" of them like they did the oil. :( As a side note, he'd contacted nearly every bike shop in the Houston area over the previous several weeks and couldn't get a single one of them to take his $1/per offer. Within hours of my posting to LDR and Micapeak, he had contacts. Within a day or two it was all spoken for (except for some 2 stroke oil he still needs to move).

A charity ride out of Houston (sponsored by The Blue Knights) asked him to donate the oil to their charity run so they could SELL oil changes afterwards. They would include the company logo on the ride's shirt if he did. He asked them what the minimum donation value needed to be to get on the shirt ($500). Figuring a reasonably-low retail value of $5 per, he offer to GIVE them 500 quarts. The contact for the rally (soliciting donations from vendors) turned him down unless he would give it ALL to them. I have to admit that I was pretty amazed at the arrogance (or stupidity) of whoever that was. They threw away a sizeable donation just because they couldn't have it all. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the early bird got the…..no wait, that’s ---the early Bounce got the oil. Anyway, thanks for clarifying. Would have been nice to get in on the Bonanza! :party:

Just got all the oil bottles cleaned up, moved out of the OEM cardboard boxes (oil damage), and into my own (plastic-lined) cardboard box. Of the 62 bottles, 2 were empty and 1 was leaking and half full. I salvaged the remaining contents of the leaking bottle (4.2 quarts per oil/filter change y'know).

Considering how many bottles of oil Mr. Oil Man had to sort through, that's not a bad loss rate for the remainder.

BTW: You don't think I sent the e-mail notices out before I got my order in, did you? Silly boy!

Last edited by a moderator: