New Tire @ 4700 miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhb820

Reaction score
Took my 2010 FJR in for 4K mile service and was informed that I needed a new front tire. Although I have checked the tire pressure ~ twice this spring, evidently it was not enough. Under inflated tire caused unusual wear. Does this sound correct to anyone, or has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

dhb,

Did you have problems with the tire or is this just a suggestion? However, with the OEM tires, cupping is very likely.

It is best, in general consensus, to keep your Front Tire up around the 38-40 lbs range and the Rear 40-42 lbs range for better durability.

...and you should check your tire pressures 1x week to maintain maximum performance and safetry.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took my 2010 FJR in for 4K mile service and was informed that I needed a new front tire. Although I have checked the tire pressure ~ twice this spring, evidently it was not enough. Under inflated tire caused unusual wear. Does this sound correct to anyone, or has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.
What was the original? My 2008 fjr ate the stock front bridgestone in 4500 miles, tire pressure well maintained. Pilot road 2s did much better.

What was the original? My 2008 fjr ate the stock front bridgestone in 4500 miles, tire pressure well maintained. Pilot road 2s did much better.

What he said. I only got 4200 miles out of the stock front Bridgestone. My first reaction was that this bike was going to cost me a fortune in tires. The PR2's get me about 9000 miles and things are good.

Agree with all. Experienced cupping on the stock Bridges at 4100 miles. PRs are a dream. Don't worry, ride on.

I have an '08 with 21k miles. I am on my third set of Z6's and I am getting 8k miles out of them, no problems.

dhb, what brand tires did your bike have?

If the tire was a Bridgestone 021 on the bike, whatever you do, don't let the dealer put another 021 back on. Try a PR2, keep it pumped up tight with weekly pressure checks and you'll be much happier.

Don't worry about running a mis-matched set of tires. No one here has ever had any issues with that aspect of tire management.

--G

Pilot Road 2's have been on sale lately as the new Pilot Road 3's have been coming out. Personally, I don't care for the 3's, and at least one forum member was having problems with his new front tire and posted a number of pictures of the cupping he was experiencing on the forum. For those reasons, go with the PR 2's.

Gary

darksider #44

2000 miles and I just removed the 021's off my 10. They are as we all know pure junk.

My "excuse" is I am leaving for a trip but really just wanted them off my bike, what trash they are!

So I spooned PR2's on and used a B spec on the rear. Spooned them on and used the Mark Parnes to static balance them. What a difference on the bike!

Tested them to 110 indicated last night and the Mark Parnes seems to have done it's job well.

The PR2 is night and day to the 021 junk.

At 2000 miles my front was going trapezoid already!

New tires, new bike for sure as it allowed the suspension to shine through the 021 muck and the bike is on rails in the corners.

Why wouldn't Yamaha put a superior tire like the PR2 on the FJR as OEM equipment? I always wonder why they always stick with a tire that no one likes.

Although very popular, I haven't tried a set of PR2's yet. I've always went with Pirelli's. I've got 4900 miles on my first set of Angel ST's. So far, so good.

Why wouldn't Yamaha put a superior tire like the PR2 on the FJR as OEM equipment? I always wonder why they always stick with a tire that no one likes.
The PR2 is relatively new compared to the FJR, so wasn't available . Also Bridgestone is a Japanese tyre manufacturer.

I have an '08 with 21k miles. I am on my third set of Z6's and I am getting 8k miles out of them, no problems.

dhb, what brand tires did your bike have?

My 2008 FJR also came with Metzler Z6 rubber from the factory. I am now on my 4th brand and so far the Metzlers outlasted the PR2's and Roadsmarts. It looks like the Bridgestone 023GT's I am now running are going to be the longest wearing of them all.

YMMV

John

My stock Z6's (2008) have about 7,500 miles on them. Rear is fine, but front is wearing a bit odd. According to dealer, I have about 1,000-1,500 miles left on the front. Since I am going on a 3-day trip (about 900 miles or so) next month, decided to change out the front and rear with new PR3's. Being installed next week.

For the first 80K or so, my tire choices were:

Azaros (replace every 4K miles ~8-10 sets),

Storms (replace every 4K miles ~5 sets),

one and only 1 set of PR2s at about 52K (Hated the lack of stick, don't know or care what mileage I got out of the slippery bastages - first time I've dumped a bike in 25+ years on the street that wasn't completely due to pilot error),

Storm IIs (replace at 8K miles plus, but different riding style, 3 or 4 sets so far?)

Now running Pirelli Angel front and just replaced my Avon Storm II with a Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact rear. Feels better than any combo I can remember since the Azaros, but no idea on how long-lived they'll be yet.