New Tire Changer On Market

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks spiffy, but what's the rationale for doing this yourself versus the local bike shop? Seems like it would take a while to pay for it. :unsure:

Looks spiffy, but what's the rationale for doing this yourself versus the local bike shop?
Notice how they call it the No-mar, and talk about not scratching the wheels? Mounting tires is like anything else - can you trust your local dealer to do it right? Maybe yes, maybe no. Personally I prefer no one fixing on my machine but me, if at all possible. Hard experience with dealers whose mechanics don't have any has scarred me for life, not to mention the wheels on my scoot.

Looks spiffy, but what's the rationale for doing this yourself versus the local bike shop? Seems like it would take a while to pay for it. :unsure:
Well, that's true for virtually any major tool or piece of equipment.

But it may pay for itself quicker than you think. Around here, it's about $25/wheel to mount and balance a tire, so figure $50 a change. Many of us do a couple changes a year minimum, so that $100/year. Then there's the hassle, wasted time, and expense of trips to the dealer.

That's if you can find anyone to do it - many dealers won't change tires they didn't sell. If you live someplace without a dealer willing to do changes, you may be looking at over $500 for a new set of dealer-bought and mounted tires vs. $220 or so mail-order.

And while a changer like this is very nice, you can invest in about $100 in parts and get a passable changing system with tire irons, an old car wheel as a stand, and a balancing stand. This paid for itself in six months for me.

Not to mention the advantage of having full quality control of the work.

Getting set up to do my own tire changes has been one of the most cost effective things I've done since I started riding 35 years ago.

- Mark

Ah...

Sounds reasonable, but I think I need a local mentor for my first attempt at doing this myself. :unsure:

Here is a pic of mine. I have change maybe 10 or so tires so far. It has worked great. Since I spin wrenches for a living, I am very comfortable pulling wheels ect. To help pay for this changer I charge $15. dollors if the wheel is off the bike, and $20. on the bike for a mount and balance. I can do a front and rear on a FJR or similar sport bike in 45 minutes. I can dismount and mount the rubber in 5 min. or less. Most of the time is in the balancing.. Most say it is to cheap, well it maybe but everyone is happy. Plus you stay away from the stealership. Buy tires on line, save some cash and know the job was done right. Everyone wins, so if your in the St. Louis area...I would be happy to change them for you.. :D

akd101.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: