New to me engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridge

Reaction score
I can across an engine that I got for a steal the other day … along with a lot of other various arts and pieces , fork tubes, tires and rims , tank, handlebars , shock, some plastics from a wrecked bike . This engine is alleged to have been sitting for years and only had 9000 km (5400 miles) on it when it was crashed. My problem is that there is actually no odometer or dash with the parts and I was wondering if anyone knows of a sure fire way to roughly indicate how much this engine and trans was actually used . It is a first gen , a 2003 like mine and mine has 93000 on it .

No way to tell how long an engine has been used. Perhaps looking at compression once you get it serviced and installed. With respect to the other parts from the same bike, you might get a feeling from stuff like wear on the shifter rubber or footpegs. Condition of brake pads - should be largely intact after just 9.000 km (I get 75,000+ km out of a set). Same with brake rotors - wear is indicative of number of kilometers and (of course) riding habits. So much depends on how and where the bike was ridden, but you might look at grit-blasting of the triangle behind the front wheel and condition of windscreen.

Unless stuff looks significantly worn, I wouldn't worry about it. Of greater concern is how the engine was stored for the last 20 years. Cylinders oiled? Exposed to the elements? I would pull the plugs and do a visual examination of the cylinders using a borescope before attempting to turn it over.

With respect to mileage, your 93,000 km isn't much to worry about. I sold my '07 with 295,000 km and zero issues. (I have 170,000 km on my 2011)

Welcome from New Brunswick!! (I find myself in Newfoundland every couple of years for riding and camping - was there for 12 days in Jul/Aug this year)

No way to tell how long an engine has been used. Perhaps looking at compression once you get it serviced and installed. With respect to the other parts from the same bike, you might get a feeling from stuff like wear on the shifter rubber or footpegs. Condition of brake pads - should be largely intact after just 9.000 km (I get 75,000+ km out of a set). Same with brake rotors - wear is indicative of number of kilometers and (of course) riding habits. So much depends on how and where the bike was ridden, but you might look at grit-blasting of the triangle behind the front wheel and condition of windscreen.

Unless stuff looks significantly worn, I wouldn't worry about it. Of greater concern is how the engine was stored for the last 20 years. Cylinders oiled? Exposed to the elements? I would pull the plugs and do a visual examination of the cylinders using a borescope before attempting to turn it over.

With respect to mileage, your 93,000 km isn't much to worry about. I sold my '07 with 295,000 km and zero issues. (I have 170,000 km on my 2011)

Welcome from New Brunswick!! (I find myself in Newfoundland every couple of years for riding and camping - was there for 12 days in Jul/Aug this year)

I appreciate your input on this and will do those checks you mentioned. If you are in central Newfoundland anytime, check in for a coffee and a chat. I am starting to realize that the mileage on my FJR is fairly low compared the others I heard from and read about on here . I had to pick up this other engine and parts because it was too cheap to turn down

I had to pick up this other engine and parts because it was too cheap to turn down
I have often thought about picking up a good low mileage Gen II engine for future possible needs. Then I would have to store it... They come up often enough on eBay for very reasonable cost, although shipping can be a nightmare (especially to Canada).
If you are in central Newfoundland anytime, check in for a coffee and a chat.
Thanks! I was in NL each of the past two years (did TransLab in 2023, not on FJR, although now all paved except parts of QC389 from Manic Cinq to Lab City). Unlikely to get there next year - planning on Alaska on BMW F700GS.